How to easily switch between Minecraft versions

Discussion in 'Survival Guides and Tutorials' started by imaxorz, May 26, 2011.

1. imaxorz

imaxorz Well-Known Member Site Admin

First let me answer some F.A.Qs.

Why is the server outdated?
    We run Bukkit and that is what makes having all the plugins for Minecraft possible. When a new version on Minecraft comes out, a new version of server software is also released from Mojang, When that happens the Bukkit team goes to work on building new versions of Bukkit based on the new server software from Mojang.

When will the new Bukkit version come out?
    No one ever knows. The Bukkit team never gives an estimation when they will be done. This is because it will almost be always a wrong estimation. They always find bugs in their builds and fix them before they feel then can release a recommended version.

If the server is not updated to the latest build of Minecraft you can use the Minecraft launcher to switch to an earlier version by creating a different "profile."
    1. Click "New Profile"
    2. Name the profile (eg. 1.x.x)
    3. (Optional) Check "Enable experimental development versions ("snapshots")"
    4. Select the drop down menu to select version
    5. Select the version you wish to run
    6. Click "Save Profile"
    7. Make sure the new profile is selected and click "Play" (sometimes you will have to click log out and log back in before being able to click play)
    AnnodynS likes this.
  2. bMacSwigg

bMacSwigg New Member VIP

Max, I don't know, n00bs are pretty ingenious with finding work-arounds of "n00b proof" things. xD
    (but seriously, thankyou! This will be helpful. :p)
  3. DarkAlex0613

DarkAlex0613 Member

I use this too.
  4. bMacSwigg

bMacSwigg New Member VIP

So helpful in working with my friend when he accidentally upgraded his minecraft and he couldn't get on our server... xDa
  5. macbad123

macbad123 New Member

i am on my slow cpu and even i could do it (couldnt play though bad video card :mad:)
  6. Seadagw1016

Seadagw1016 New Member

Thanks Max!
  7. imaxorz

Updated!
  8. imaxorz

For minecraft 1.8 you can do the same thing, but select 1.7
  9. 04blatca

04blatca Member Site Admin VIP

This needs to be updated for 1.8. I will do it if max doesn't get a chance.
  10. JoeyLeary

JoeyLeary New Member

Does this work in browser Minecraft? Because when I run Minecraft now it says something about a bad video card driver and I need to update it, which is what happens when I don't run it in browser :S
  11. imaxorz

I updated the original post, hopefully making it more clear.
  12. bMacSwigg

bMacSwigg New Member VIP

I assume these can be modded like a normal minecraft.jar?
  13. imaxorz

Yes
  14. minty_cheese

minty_cheese New Member VIP

Thanks Max this will be really helpful!
  15. ace5511

ace5511 Member Creative Architect VIP

Wow I never even saw this. That is really simple.
  16. c41pt41n

c41pt41n New Member

please help me i followed the instructions very carefully but when i tried to login it whent black then gave me a list of errors. i was trying to downgrade from 1.9 to 1.8.1 (also whats the difference between 1.8 and 1.8.1?) anyway it didnt work but from the reveiws people have given you this system must be awesome!
  17. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member Survival Admin VIP

1.8 is the prereasles, 1.8.1 is the official release
    it woks fine for me, make sure ur selecting 1.8.1 where it says JAR file
  18. c41pt41n

c41pt41n New Member

im sorry but this downgrade system is... AMAZING thank you guys so much for the downgrade.
    ps: when installing a mod is it done the same but with the downgrade instead of minecraft.jar
  19. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member Survival Admin VIP

in other words, yeah
  20. c41pt41n

c41pt41n New Member

can you use the technic pack becouse im looking for the mcloader but i cant find it on the technic pack list where it asks you what you want it to download to.