Bring dynmap hide back?

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by Griffsbrown, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffsbrown

Griffsbrown New Member VIP

And that is exactly how I feel about it. It is actually more challenging with dynmap hide when you look at like that.

Also I looking over the rules and I dont see the rule your talking about sharqman

2. strangecow1

strangecow1 Member VIP

VIP or no one...

3. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

If your talking about the rule about Peaceful towns raiding with PvP towns in the same nation it is right under the rule dreamz quoted.

Also you can't always be ready for everything. That is just unrealistic.
    Dyn map hide would make it more challenging as in everyone is hidden on the map so you can't find anyone? I guess. But wouldn't that lessen PvP? Not knowing where anyone is, someone can just pop out form behind you and kill you.

If everyone was visible you could find targets when they are out in the open. If they are in a house, hiding, underground, or in water they are hidden on the map as it should be.

Being out in the open shouldn't count as hiding.

4. strangecow1

strangecow1 Member VIP

I agree.

5. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

Well it is pvpworld, everybody should always be on their toes and expect an attack at anytime.

6. Griffsbrown

Where?
    I see nothing of it being ok to raid with members of a pvp town in your nation.

I dont see why everyone is arguing about the dynmap hide thing. The votes show more people think everyone should have it. If that is what the majority wants, then why argue with it.

7. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

Under PvP rules:

8. Griffsbrown

Ohhhh ok. I was confused because sharqman kept saying it was under the rule.

9. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

For better pvp we should have dynmap hide for everyone and if someone wants to be seen on map there should be possibility of turning it off (I belive there might few of those people).

PvP is meant for being under pressure, always. Sharqman I can see your point that if you are afraid of losing items or accidentally going into 1v10 fight, but that sort of situations should be part of PvP world. We have coliseum for people who can't simply take being under pressure all the times as well as possibility of having peaceful bases, being member in peaceful town which is in pvp nation etc. It gives you possibility of being safe most of the time so why should the actual PvP go by these rules as well and be safe?

Without dynmap hide people plan their attacks depending on the fact if they can win or not. This also applies for defending, if the best pvper on the server is alone attacking your town you wont be defending no matter what. The planning of raid is important and tunnel networks to get around undetected. Also night-time using is important, what adds a small feeling into PvP. The fact though is that you know everyone's position during fights and wont be making mistakes of chasing defenders if you can see on the map that there are reinforces on the way.

So basically planning the attack before hand, every move, every kill is important and actually losing is hard because everything can be seen on dynmap. All of us enjoy the feeling of getting nice loot and hate losing stuff, but in the end if there aren't much loses or wins and it gets boring.

So yeah I know eventually people will get good in raiding with everyone being seen on the dynmap etc, but that way of raiding isn't simply rewarding or much fun. It is more about agreeing about fights and losing only PvP items than living in pvp world.

That is the fun side of PvP. You can't be ready for everything, but being ready doesn't always mean you need to be in full diamond armor with milk buckets, potions, golden apples, bows, dogs etc. Being ready means you have knowledge about map around you, have a secret entrances and ways out of your house, you have a secret chest around town where you keep set of armor just incase. If you get caught unready you will lose stuff, what will make pvp more fun for all of us.
    We lose and we win. No man can only win, and if you lose a lot you will eventually get better.

PVP is not about having only fighting materials in your inventory like in coliseum PvP world means that there are risks you have to take if you want to live there, and if you don't want to live there we have many choices for such people. If you live in peaceful town and only come to pvp in pvp world I belive you should try to think about the people actually living in the pvp world rather than people who pvp in it.

Actually it adds a lot more skill you don't know where you are hitting for sure or you don't know if you are going to get raided, You dont go numbers or skills. You don't know anything. It seems you just belive that dynmap hide = A group of people get in town kill a guy and are gone before I can get armor out of my chest. But the defenders will be ninjas as well and because they are playing on their home map they should get a huge advantage over raiders if the town is planned for PvP. Redstone alarms, secret tunnels, traps etc. Will be the things to give you the advantage!

The fun of going around in town as raider is being forced in to the houses to look defenders when traps go out. Defender does have advantage if he has used time to modify area to suit his play style: Traps, towers etc. This means: he has had to be in the town building stuff which means he has been vulnerable to raids and such. But in the end the trap pays off as 3 fearless raiders drop the to trap of the doom. Of course the trap is not going to work for more than few times, but hey it has paid off maybe even better than facing those prot IV armors with weapon and armor.

If you live in peaceful town or base or such you might be more used to the Colosseum stylish PvP, but PvP world is different you spend time on pvp map to modify land to give yourself advantage. You lose stuff when you are doing this, but it pays off that is why people do so. Raiding bases outside enemy towns, secret tunnels under lava topped holes etc.

For new people having dynmap hide for all will also be more useful than not having it for anyone, as they can hide in PvP world and actually start their own small base rather than getting raided by people looking for easy stuff and getting people to quit. For new people in towns it might be a bit anoying to get killed by other pvpers who they can't see coming but that is the way to learn.

So yeah I like the feeling of dynmap hide being on for all automatically when they log in and having command /dynmap show to let people to see you if you wish so.

Quite a lot of offtopic but I wanted to just state for you Sharq how I see PvP world as your idea about it seems quite different. I have never liked colosseum stylish PvP what this sugestion of yours seems to be changing it into as far as I have seen.

I rather let every one have it. That way raids will be longer, more fighting, more comebacks and defenders can plan their defenses to destroy attackers. The plans you talk about will just include no risky playing "If Alan does appear on the map it is instant retreat". It won't help people to actually improve in PvP.

10. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

+1

11. pyro5050

pyro5050 Active Member VIP

quick question that is off topic, jasper mentioned people having a milk bucket in PvP what does milk have to do with PvP?

my vote has changed... leave it as it is right now... if someone works their butt off to come to my place in peaceful, i will just build an obsidian wall around them.

12. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

It is rarely useful to counter all effects which are effecting player (Str, speed, poison, weakness etc)

13. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Sorry the rules dreamz quoted was listed twice under PvP rules and town specific rules.

Jasp your reply is too long too quote :p so I'll just say it.

Dyn map hide doesn't add more skill it adds uncertainty and probability. As you have brought up great points I will honestly say I can not argue against them as they are true. The one thing I have to say is that being out in the open in broad daylight should not be counted as being hidden. If you want to stealth raid or defend, then be stealthy, entering one command is not being stealthy.

I do feel sorry for the new people that are trying to setup and get killed and looted by not so nice people, but that's PvP isn't it?

I also don't get what you mean by coliseum style PvP (is that 1v1 on static terrain), and how my idea will change that or change PvP world into that. We can't have guards and watch towers like real war towns would have. Dyn map is the closest thing to that.

14. Griffsbrown

Well the voting has been open for well over a week, so I figured I would close it, considering no one has voted in days. The results are in and we have all made are opinions clear. I guess we just wait for max to give the final decision now.

15. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

Yeah there are good points for both sides :)

That could be a nice thing if during nights, dawns & sunsets you would be hidden on the dynmap no matter what (No light level effect). In that case planning, tunnels and such would still play a big role in pvp, but during nights the battle outcome would be unknown before the fight begins and people might still get surprised. But I still must say I would rather have no dynmap hide. This could be a midway term if no agreement can be made though (?)

It doesn't really make you to be stealthy. It just makes it easier when you don't have to stay under trees and houses in towns to be unseen. When you don't have to worry about any of those things you can think more about actually staying unseen from the people in town, and looking around for traps, pressure plates and such.
    Do you want to stay hidden from actual people or from light and sun? (Ill answer to your argument about not having enough guards and such next.)
    Coliseum style for me means mostly that the land what people are dealing with is known to all and fights are usually 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 stylish rather than more chaotic fights. In love and war everything is allowed. In Coliseum traps, placing stuff, having hidden bases underground, sneak attacks etc. Are not allowed. Well yeah I dislike that. Your idea wouldn't turn into that, but it would at least turn pvp into less chaotic and would decrease of choices of play.
    Being sneaky shouldn't be this much harder than being openly marching on open fields to your enemy. People enjoy different ways of fighting and if there is no dynmap hide and no spies you can't really make it into enemy town without being seen.

Actually having guards and watch towers can be somewhat done with redstone. The most common ways of knowing if some one is coming being used in some pvp towns have been pressure plates on the entrances of towns. These pressure plates then activated signals such as:
    - Every piece of netherrack around roads lights on fire (Was used in Arcadia)
    - Jukeboxes started playing certain music, or when we had spout plugin for self-made cd we had even some warning siren stylish stuff. (Was used in Arcadia and Crusaiders)
    - Netherrack towers lights on fire (I belive something similar to this was used in the brotherhood of steel)
    - All glowstone lamps around town turn on (Used in small scale and soon in large scale in Erahia ;) )

Those are few examples of ways we have used to know if we are going to get attacked, in small scale I think all of us have built a door which has a doorbell which goes off when a person opens with pressure plate or button. All of us can do this.

I agree we need to know if we are going to get attacked, stealth assassins who kill and are gone before we can say a word are annoying, but the fact is that dynmap atm can be seen same way as Palantir. It allows you to see things but in the end it will corrupt you. Beware!

16. ColonelNietzsche

ColonelNietzsche New Member VIP

I'm for NOT having dyn-map hide, I'm a VIP and I don't mind not having the advantage.

I think it'd be good for new player seeing people on the map, shows that people are active on the server. When you open the dyn-map and there's hardly anyone there in the day, it looks like the servers gone stale.

17. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

Are we able to take back our votes? The opinions that's have been said have changed my mind and don't want dynmap hide because it honestly doesnt give you that big of an advantage.

18. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

While there are reason on both to go either way, after going on my first actual raid in a long time, I feel dynmap hide is too much of advantange.

But where is the option to keep it the way it is? While on said raid it was actually challenging to find cover and stay off of dynmap.

If I had to vote between the two I say remove it for everyone, but I find the way it is set up for to be fun and kinda challenging

19. trentr6436

trentr6436 Member VIP

+1

20. Flagellum

Flagellum Member VIP

Well Sunday has come and gone and I believe that the majority wants it to be returned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.