server build contests

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by sioutdoors, Oct 8, 2012.

?

how often should we have build contest

1. weekly

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. monthly

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  3. quarterly

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. yearly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

What about adding a theme to each contest? One time it might be "tree house" styled and another time it might be "defensive purposes".

2. slappywhitee

slappywhitee Active Member Creative Architect

So when/how are we gonna get this going? Whats the next step? Siout? Anybody?

3. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

i think Max is planning something maybe we will have know more after the weekend. Hopefully we will have a turkey day theme lol contest

4. sioutdoors

Plotworld, 64x64, all players compete, monthly, winner gets VIP $10.00 perks for 30days, perks don't stack, themes with specified materials, solo only no teams as of now. Winner is judged by all via forum vote I'll make a sticky about it but player must supply their own pic. All builds will be deleted after contest. Dont ask to have them moved. If a guest wins they can get promoted from contest. World spawn will have hall of fame with signs..... date, theme, IGN admins can build but cant win. No world edit perms for contestants.

5. sioutdoors

Ok. So a better prize hmmm. I think that should be your call on the prize.
    Ok no guest
    I'll give in on the builds I guess lol

6. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

whats better than the v.i.p. for a month! that means world edit! and i think it's a good compromise to not make the winner overpowering.

7. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

thats true. but if they are not guest's; and can win i think it would be fine though

8. sioutdoors

Definitely should be a temp perk. Maybe for 15 days if you give them WE perks of any kind. That way they want to come and compete for more or decide to donate to keep them :)

9. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I'm really liking this idea. I think the once a month thing is pretty well agreed on. I would also really like to either see a theme that everyone is doing, or just a list of blocks that must be incorporated in the build. This will make judging much easier, as it will be about who uses the theme/block list in the best way instead of just who has the best build in general. As for what the winner gets I like the idea of vip 2 for a month. It is a building contest after all, so rewarding the winner with an extra building tool (world edit) makes perfect sense. Having the perk last one month would be ideal since the competition is also a month long. Looking forward to this all coming together.

Oh and Siout, I can definitely make some videos of the server. I'll work on one for the server in general and later on one for this competition. If I come up with something good I'll send it to max for the shadecrest channel as well.

10. TegAshLar

TegAshLar Member Creative Architect

*two thumbs up from me*

11. sioutdoors

Thanks alot Z for helping.

12. Fabulous55

Fabulous55 Member

Another idea could be to hold build off competitions. So like two people each have a theme, like a house, and they have to build the best house in a limited time period, say 10 minutes. Then there can be a judge or just other people who pick a winner.
    I was on another creative server awhile back that did this and it was a lot of fun, and a fun way to practice your building skills.

13. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

build the best native American village?

14. sioutdoors

What makes this such a great idea is that great builders will be building right net to not so great. And like it or not they will try and emulate the better players style. Which in turn makes them better. And it gives all players a reason (besides applying for architect) to joint the forums and make this a true community.

15. Fabulous55

Fabulous55 Member

I agree, and they will also see what kind of builds are good or not and adjust their style to match it and branch out from the wooden box. d

16. luckyboy22

luckyboy22 New Member VIP

Maybe it should just be WE & Voxel perms? Just an idea for about 30 days.

17. sharqman

Maybe make it a team build thing to strengthen the community, each team is lead by an architect

18. sioutdoors

maybe a yearly team build we'll see how it goes

19. sharqman

a year might be a bit long lol

20. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

For the youtube part, I am actually seriously considering doing videos for the server along with other possible stuff. But that's if I can get good video quality with fraps... -_-