server build contests

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by sioutdoors, Oct 8, 2012.

?

how often should we have build contest

1. weekly

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. monthly

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  3. quarterly

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. yearly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

I tried recording with fraps and it stopped after a few mins so idk what to do with that XD

2. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

:/ fraps is so dependent on memory. I've got a terabyte external hard drive and a compressing program. so maybe this might work out haha

3. sharqman

i know, i selected split 4gb but the video stops at less than 400 mb O.O i have over 300gb of free space.

4. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

i tried debut the other day and it was bad

5. slappywhitee

slappywhitee Active Member Creative Architect

I have no frakking idea what you guys are talking about...lol....but it gave me a head ache just reading it. :p

6. sharqman

lol we're talking about video recording software. fraps just isn't working for me. I've tried bandi cam, but it only lets you record 10 minutes then it stops. still better than 30 seconds lol

7. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Fraps works fine for me.

8. Parhnoied

Parhnoied New Member Creative Architect

How hard would it be to just use a different map all together? The map wouldn't need to be permanent, and its a safe way to allow people to use a limited amount of WE tools so you could set time limits on the building session and the added help will allow slower builders to meet the time limits. Winners can have their builds moved to the appropriate world and the contest world can simply be reset and tucked away for the next contest. Besides that you could use the plotworld system to help keep creations safe and within limits. lol oops didnt see there was more than 1 page.

9. sioutdoors

I don't think it needs to be "off" because the contest will roll on over to the next month.

10. Parhnoied

Parhnoied New Member Creative Architect

I didn't mean it had to be tucked away, I just don't know what kind of effects adding another map would cause, lag-wise and so forth. I also didn't know if you wanted to give a month for the contest just figured could do the monthly contest for whatever the duration is decided for then take it down for sake of server resources until following contest begins

11. adam_mills

adam_mills Member

problem with that is the arch might take over

12. sharqman

the solution is net let the arch's take over :) tell them to guide the lower ranked players into building better. The lower ranks would want to participate because they could get a promotion from their part in the build.

13. sioutdoors

Im glad to se that players are getting involved in this discussion. This is a big deal for our server. Competition always brings out the best in everyone.

QuietSea likes this.
  14. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

we should try and get a final decision before next sunday so we can startup the contest right on november 1st

15. adam_mills

adam_mills Member

it also brings out the worst, also if the mods are judging you would always have the worry of "favoritism playing a part

16. sioutdoors

i'd like to think if your a mod you shouldnt be if thats how your gonna act.

slappywhitee and sharqman like this.
  17. adam_mills

adam_mills Member

no, i get your point, i know that most most mods wouldn't be like that, its more some of the players saying it, cos if we allow the guests in then, as we have sen, some of them are really immature

18. sioutdoors

Yeah i think guest wont be allowed to compete. Just for the fact there are too many of them

19. slappywhitee

slappywhitee Active Member Creative Architect

Favoritism can happen with anyone, anywhere, anytime, for any reason. Being a "mod", or an admin or an owner or the frakking Queen of England has nothing whatsoever to do with ones likelyhood to show "favoritism". It's all a matter of each and every individuals own personal code of ethics and morals and whether that person is mature enough to behave in a fair, non-biased manner towards others. And maturity is one of the qualities that the owner of this server looks for (although he doesn't always succeed in finding it...lol) when choosing "mods" and admins and such. So I believe that the chances of favoritism playing a part if the "mods" judge would actually be less not more as you imply.

20. adam_mills

adam_mills Member

If you read what i wrote next you will see that i didn't mean it in that sense, i meant it a in people will call that, thank you