Mod Election Discussion.

Discussion in 'Server Media' started by DastardlyWhale, Oct 19, 2012.

1. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

Discuss only mod election stuff here. Any bashing on one another here will get you disqualified. And don't campaign here.

2. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Hello, my name is Pie.

3. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

I must say I completely agree with this. You need to be already doing these things before becoming a MOD, so people can look at you and think "Hey, I'd like this guy or gal to be a MOD, they're already helping out a lot in chat and with new players, so I think they'd do a good job of it"

4. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

Please don't think that all applicants for mod are acting that way. I'm not disagreeing with awasted, but some of us have actually been trying to help out.​

5. DastardlyWhale

I'm talking about the majority of the applicants. The ONLY possible way you can campaign is helping these other players including guest. And i sure hope the majority of applicants catch on.

6. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that having school is against the running policies! And I HAVE been about 10 times more helpful... Mainly I'm making a point, not saying "Vote for bill!!!" because many people won't listen to a word I say because my name on screen isn't special, which means I'm an unimportant idiot who doesn't know shit G_G

/sleeprage

And no, I don't have any fix to this, so please no smartass comments on this rant being illogical.
    Sometimes I get angry, and when you hold in a ton of anger from life, you explode from time to time, so please don't get look down at me for this. All I'm trying to say is that the people who actually give a fuck will be helping, so that is who you go and vote for. Whoops! I accidentally anychanceihadatgettingmoderator.

/moresleeprage

Sorry

Flagellum likes this.
  7. DastardlyWhale

I know alot of us are still in school, including myself. I'm talking about the people who are actually on the majority of the time and don't bother to offer help to anybody, rather they just continue their daily routine as guest join. Also, I'm also aware that people go out of their way to pm people to vote for them when guest join the server, which just irritates me the most.

8. NMBr2d2

I might just be tired, I sensed no NMB bashing in that post :O

9. DastardlyWhale

Why would I bash in an election? ._.

10. NMBr2d2

I just expected some sort of scolding for my rant XD Night. Check the troll board!!!

11. ModernDragoness

ModernDragoness Member VIP

I'm not sure about pms, I don't see that, but I have noticed at least four applicants today greeting and helping other members, new and older. While I think it's a completely valid point that actions speak more than promises, and I don't favorably consider "vote for me" statements that are outside fair humor, I can vouch for activity isn't always what it seems.

Random0ne likes this.
  12. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

I'd like to know the reasoning behind elections. On the Creative server, when someone applies for Architect, ONLY other Archs and Admins get a say. And that makes sense, because every Joe Schmo isn't qualified to weigh in. Yet here on Survival, for a position that arguably requires far more responsibility, it's a popularity contest.

I find it somewhat disturbing that a number of the applicants have been banned (some recently), and have a history in the "Finger Pointing" forums. If they can't solve their own problems amongst themselves, why should I trust them with mine? Further, while I'm sure they will act fair for a month or two to prove they were worthy of the position, it's only a matter of time until their old grudges come up again. And I highly doubt most people are putting enough thought into their votes to address any of this.

This isn't a rhetorical question, but wouldn't it be better for current, trusted mods and admins to discuss who they ALREADY see behaving like a good mod would and then inviting those people? Isn't that preferable to people saying, "No, really, I'll be better AFTER I get the position"?

Flagellum likes this.
  13. ModernDragoness

ModernDragoness Member VIP

Phuzzy, while I agree current staff tend to notice mod-like qualities without extra public input, having public input does help. Being a mod has many smaller aspects to the general "moderating" statement and among other things, it is interesting to see how people respond to being in the spotlight.

14. PieSquared761

Brilliant.

15. NMBr2d2

Um... Why is pie a forum staff member??????
    Relevent because she is running for mod.

16. majestic_moose

She's not?
    [​IMG]

17. NMBr2d2

Nonononono, she was on the list right under max when she was online...

18. majestic_moose

Oh no!
    [​IMG]

19. NMBr2d2

SEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

20. PieSquared761

Guys, calm down. It's just because I'm an assistant for Citadel.
    You can put down your torches and pitchforks now :)