The Parthenon... A Mediterranean Twist

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by AnnodynS, Nov 15, 2012.

1. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Well.. if I get it I want it for my building skills even if I need to learn more to earn it.. but thanks A360 :)

2. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Dodokono :) I'm so glad my post helped. xD I am a 'how to person' even in real life. I love teaching.... and admin-ing ( which I do elsewhere) . Still, it's simply lovely to just build.. though old habits die hard. I have to work soooo hard not to answer questions. xD I only do if no one is around to do it.. as I might not know the right answers. It's the blind leading the blind most of the time haha.

I'd love to see your builds.. both of you. :)

3. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

[​IMG]So... Thanks to some inspiration from Siout I have a design for the front and back face of the building. I love indirect lighting! It can have some very artistic effects. xD I am doing much more complicated designs on the inside faces.. but for the outside this is perfect I think. :) In fact, I think this design has a lot of impact and goes great with the theme of 'Parthenon'. :) The eagle was a fun feature that was tough... but Killor and I tackled that part together. Thanks Killor! Off to Black Friday shopping with my daughter. :) See ya!

4. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Thanks Max very much! .. and btw ... we are having so much fun on your survival server over the holidays. xD I haven't been able to get the adult kids to play elsewhere.. but you made a challenge they couldn't resist.

Edomien likes this.
  5. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

[​IMG]

Ok Killor... :) The inside faces... are for you. <3 The designs which are perfectly symmetrical :p and exactly replicated on the inside front and inside back walls were heavily inspired by his Artemis Mansion (plotworld build). If you want to get dizzied or completely dazzled..just spend a few hours trying to recreate any small part of his designs. I recommend a stout cup of coffee and a couple of aspirin first. xD

[​IMG]

This one looked so easy! But it took me an hour to figure it out! I prevailed!! :D Sadly, I discovered (too late) that it was much too big for these walls. I challenge you to attempt this. You will see it is deceptively complicated.

[​IMG]

Except for the interlocking rectangles.. this is all my original design... I think it perfectly fits the 'Mediterranean' theme I was aiming for. I've spent two or three days on these walls. Soooo glad I have this tackled.

[​IMG]

Wow... I guess it's time for the supports.. if I can figure out how and where I want to put them...

I can hardly believe it. Siout completely blew me away today when he asked the name of my warp which so far I think I have neglected to mention. (It's /warp Parthenon) He added it to the 'Cool Server Builds' list... on the Builder II wall! I about fell out of my chair . XD (Thanks a bunch Siout!)

I just realized two weeks have gone by since I started! Oh my gosh ... haha. Now, I'm more nervous than ever as I need to come up with something epic for the middle of the room.... I think I better sleep on that one. :)

Edomien likes this.
  6. Edomien

Edomien Member

This right here is quality profession my friends!

AnnodynS likes this.
  7. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Yes but Edomien... just a paltry attempt as compared to the buildings in your video... which I LOVED btw! <3 <3

As i stated there...*Donna humbly crawls in to a pit and throws several handfuls of dirt over her head for thinking she could build. I LOVED every minute of building this and WILL love every minute of finishing it up! Never say die!! I shall content myself with the honor of being a humble builder in the house of the creative geniuses of Shadecrest. *bows to the Architects of Shadecrest.

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence AFTER having videod all those amazing things on the server! O.O I'm kinda stunned atm... :confused: I need a major tour before I start my next project... xD

I'm not even going to attempt to attain architect.. just try to up my game and do something truly massive and captivating ( for me that is). But tour first.. lots of them. This server and the builds here... it's truly mind blowing!

Gee.. I think I need a drink... lul or lots more coffee. xD

8. Edomien

Edomien Member

Good determination! I expect for you to have Architect by your second build. :)

AnnodynS likes this.
  9. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

looking good anno and youre welcome i think it deserves it

10. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Thank you from the bottom of my heart Siout. xD You guys have encouraged me so much.. and challenged me a lot too. As I said before..I've died and gone to builder heaven. <3

11. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Thank you Max.. very much.

12. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Well, thanks for the praise :D. However, there is probably more talent in you than there is in me for building, you just need to put in the time and keep on how you have been doing, asking for help and advice from the admins and archs (Killor and Siout are great choices BTW). As for your attitude towards getting arch, thats exactly how it should be! No one should come on this server wanting architect for WE and VS or the title, you should want architect for being a big part of the community and the pride that comes with it :D.

I don't want to hear any more from you saying that your not as talented as some others ;D you are being modest. You certainly do have talent and i'm sure that this community will be able to bring that out to the fullest :D

Keep up the good work, love this build, just love it ;D

-A360P

AnnodynS likes this.
  13. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

A360 I won't say another word..but I might occassionally just think it :p..but you have to understand my perspective. I have never even imagined or seen anything at all ever ever like what I saw in her video or what I have seen on this server..

I have almost cried at seeing Siout's and Killor's builds. My brain never had even gone to places like that before.. :) I am so looking forward to a year of learning and building. You have no idea how what little I have seen of this server has affected me. :) I don't get around at all lol.

I despise rank begging.. but appreciate the honors attached of course. xD Whatever I can do to help the community I will. xd Thanks so much for your note and compliments.. I was just reacting to having seen what I think was Liasha and other builds I had not yet seen. It was overwhelming. But your kind comments are appreciated. I by no means don't think I can't build.. just comparatively speaking there's a huge gap. Haha!

A360P likes this.
  14. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Ps. I will be paying for WE lol before the next month is over.. don't need architect for it. Ranks should be given when earned..but building should be for the sheer joy of it. If I get to architect level..I won't have to ask for it. xD (Wish some younger players could learn this concept) You should never have to ask for a rank. If you deserve it.. they'll ask you. :p lol Just sayin' ...

A360P likes this.
  15. A360P

Although you do have to apply on the forums, I didn't think about that one XD

16. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Very true.. If ever I get to the point where I build something architect worthy .. I will indeed apply. xD After someone I trusts suggests I do so. xD I have no problem with that of course. I forgot how different ranks work here than what I am used to. And really ... something as epic as architect rank should be applied for. Especially when you want lots of people weighing in on the discussion. I like how you guys do that. xD I have looked at a couple of the applications when someone's popped up on a thread. It was interesting to see the comments.

A360P likes this.
  17. A360P

It is a very good way to learn :D

AnnodynS likes this.
  18. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

[​IMG]

Sigh.. I guess you never learn anything if you don't try anything new...lol :confused: ( No this is not done...still fighting curves and filling it in.)

I am 'trying' to make a sculpture :). I spent a good hour and a half last night researching ideas on google. (Thanks for the idea Liasha) but wow.. this is hard.
    [​IMG]

And to think I hadn't made a single curve in my whole building career except for turrets on a castle until two weeks ago!

First curves on the floor, then weird patterns with steps, and now curves in mid air! :confused: It took four hours to make this thing.. just the outline mind you. Now I'm filling it in. I tried to use slabs as A360 suggested but they didn't seem to be working out.

[​IMG]

Not sure what material I will actually stick with but I am beginning to get the feel of 'sculpting' in MC. Still I have no idea what it looks like to anyone else lulz :). Gotta start somewhere xD!

[​IMG]

Ps. If I call it 'modern art' does it qualify? Haha! I found something vaguely shaped like this in my searches. Crazy thing.. I was researching Grecian buildings, Fishing villages and sculptures.

But when I went to build my sculpture .. I just free-handed it. I didn't look at the photos at all. I just knew I wanted curves and aimed for that.. and for a corkscrew kind of pattern.

Nothing is quite as weird as real life. :)

19. Beocca

Beocca Member VIP

Just got done reading all 3 pages of this, and i have to say i enjoyed seeing your progress and thought processes throughout. You seem to have come a long way in a short time

You've inspired me to start building something of my own again instead of sitting in my hole hoarding my shiny's (survival server) :D

Statues usually always seem to be of a person of some sort as well. I like the idea of an art piece being used this way instead.

20. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I'm so glad Beocca! Build away! I'd love to come see it. :) I died last night on the survival server with all my stuff..my own fault for being too greedy for one last piece of iron. Don't you hate that?? But I have a chest full elsewhere-- just gotta find where I wrote those coords down. I"m glad you will build again. :) I'd love to see anything you've done previously.

I really meant sculpture if I didn't say it and actually I was toying with the idea of an abstract mom and child or two people, but wasnt' sure I could even pull a curve or shape off. :) I"m glad you like it.