Feed the Beast Server Poll!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by QuietSea, Nov 30, 2012.

?

What do you all think of having a Feed the Beast server get put up for Shade Crest members?

1. Yes!

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. No!

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

2. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I've played a bit of FTB, and mystcraft will need to be dealt with for sure. I'll try and keep this short but something tells me that will be difficult.

Mystcraft adds descriptive books, linking books, notebook, writing desk, link modifier, and crystals.

The linking books allow players to make warps. To create a proper warp, you will also need a link modifier which is fairly expensive (8 diamond blocks and a gold block; the link modifier is a block that does not get consumed). There is no issue with this, and it could even be used in place of a warping pluggin. You need to carry the warping book with you to warp to the specified location.

Descriptive books are where issues come in. Descriptive books allow you to warp to other dimensions (new worlds). You start by warping to random dimensions to fill your notebook with information, then when you have a filled notebook you can begin customizing the new worlds to your liking. This includes dense ore worlds that have crazy amounts of ores or worlds with glowstone crystals everywhere. In order to fill a notebook, a player will have to warp to hundreds of other worlds using the descriptive books. This could obviously be a problem if there are several hundred worlds being created (200-300 worlds to get a full notebook).

You also need a full notebook to generate dimensions containing crystals. Crystals allow you to turn warping books into portals of any shape and size; these portals can also transport entities without issue. You place a warping book in the portal to active it, and the books work fine with pneumatic tubes. This means you can have a single portal lead to many different locations and create some very cool automated systems.

Also people need to know what they are doing when they use this mod. Improper use can lead to two main scenarios. Players can either get trapped in an alternate dimensions with no way out and no way for other players to get to them, or they can destroy access to a world. The world itself will still be around in the server files, but there will be no way for players to travel there.

So the obvious solution is to disable descriptive books, but this comes at a price. Without these, you cannot create new dimensions and you cannot obtain crystals. No crystals means no nice portals, and no new dimensions means most of this mod goes to waste. Hopefully we can find some type of compromise where people have access to a world with crystals and possibly have the ability to buy a new dimension of their liking for them to live.

Damnit... that wasn't short.

3. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

:O not mystcraft T_T hope we can find a work around. I remember minecrafted making a video about this, may be useful though I am not too sure :S I will try and add the link here tomorrow.

4. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

5. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

So it looks like mystcraft and blackhole chests are the only real problem here. I also think enderchests may have some glitches with them.

6. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

So Arch Eric and I have been tossing around ideas about this. One idea was to just disable the recipe for descriptive books and writing desks. This way players cant make their own worlds, which are called Ages, but leave the rest of it alone. Then, if it is decided to let a person or group have their own dimension , Eric will consult them and let them help shape their new Age to ensure it is not corrupt. If a world is corrupt then it will die, and some of the ways it could die are by all blocks turning to muck, meatorites pounding it till only bedrock remaines, or "I believe" spontanious explosions.

Still not sure what we are going to do yet as we are still working on it.

So to get help stimulate conversation here are some points I would like to hear some feedback on.

1. would you want pvp everywhere, only in a few places, or no pvp at all.
    2. If we do let players have their own Age "world", you would have that instead of towny, so pick your friends wisely. Is this a good idea or bad?
    3.You can craft personel safes that only you and server admins can open. Should stealing out of all other chests be ok?
    4. If yes to #3, should an exception be made for chests being used in large machine constructions, like your quarry sending items to chests or having a production line making items.
    5. I personally don't want griefing, but that is this question. Should we allow griefing? Remember you may have your own world for privacy, and if you do have your own world will that make a difference?

These points are just to get a feel what you guys think would work best. Remember that Shadecrest FTB will be its own server, just like creative is. This is not an official pole, but something to get some discussion flowing.

7. Z_Millla

1. It would be awesome to have an arena, but other than that pvp should be off. I feel the range in armor and weapons is too great to have much balance.
    2. Private ages might be a cool alternative to towns. It would keep space free on the main map and allow towns to expand without concern. Would love to see this discussed in more detail.
    3-5. I'd really like to see no stealing or griefing what so ever. That kind of thing adds a cool aspect to survival minecraft, but I don't think it has much place in FTB. This modpack is really just about exploring new mods and having fun, I don't think anyone should have to be concerned with getting robbed.

Just my thoughts.

Yes, an age is a new world with it's own folder and files. Someone makes an age using a book, and then accesses the age using that book. Once in the age, they can make more warp books to give to other people to allow them access as well. Without a warp book or a portal with said book activating it, you cannot access the age.

8. Chronos

Chronos Active Member

In reply to Z_millla .... Set LWC to Zero cost ... so we wont have to worry about looters and also set it to like a max of maybe 100 or 150 or so ?

9. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

1.) For gods sake, no pvp. That's not what FTB is about.
    2.) Ages, are cool, and I think they should be the replacement for towny.
    3.) Personal chests should be allowed, and stealing a bannable offense. Once again, stealing is not what ftb is about.
    4.) null
    5.) Griefing... Is a big Fat NOOooo!!! If people come onto a FTB server to just grief, then they shouldn't be playing ftb.

10. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

1. I like the idea of a Pvp arena, so we can have cool battles with all the weapons when we want to, maybe make an event out of it if enough players are online.
    2. Sounds good, not sure how permissions would work and all that but how would you view each age to choose best?
    3.Like tekkit, stealing is illegal, and i like what chronos said with LWC being 0$ and each person getting 100 or so.
    4. "null" -ZPWR22
    5. no greifing, that just makes people fight and leave.

11. Z_Millla

The mod list in the original post has been updated and links to the corresponding websites have been added.

12. Random0ne

Just to clarify on the "Ages" question. Yes, each Age is its own world, but you can edit the chunkloader config to only load the world if a player actually transports there. The server will still have to store the world data, but there will not be lag from an extra loaded world while it is not in use. I also like the idea of some sort of pvp arena since FTB adds all sorts of cool new weapons.

13. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

The FTB server is down :(

14. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

um, don't really have to post that here...pm someone about it.

15. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

So here is another small update.

As I said, we are still tinkering around with different ideas and what I tell you here could change.

We are currently thinking of allowing players access to creating their own Ages and take responsibility for them. Meaning, that if you want to keep a world you will need to tell Eric the Age number. He will be going through the saved worlds and deleting the ones that are not on his "keep list." So if you don't tell him you moved your base to Age #135 you will lose it.

You can name your world something else, but the folder with your world will look something like "Age135[your worlds name here]." So remember the age number :)

FYI: The option for dense ores has been disabled. We ran some tests and while the world is corrupt and destroying itself, it is still possible to make an extremely profitable mining run before the world becomes to unlivable. AKA: dense ores is OP for this server so don't wast your time asking for it back.

16. Random0ne

Is the server up for everyone, or did Erik select a few "beta testers"?

17. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I have now watched a TON of videos. and I LOVE IT!! :) It's enchanting.. love the myst books and the autumn world. :) We got some really brainy guys on Shadecrest btw. :D

18. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Alright, it seems to all be working now. The Shade Crest FTB server is live! (Ip: 216.172.96.117)

Most of the features have been left enabled, but a few tweaks had to be made.

- Nukes are not craftable (IC2)
    - Linkbook Modifiers are not craftable (Mystcraft)
    - Age decay is disabled (Mystcraft)
    - Dense ores are disabled (Mystcraft)
    - Moon portals are disabled (Portal mod)

Creating ages in Mystcraft is allowed, but I will regularly delete the files.
    If two people get together and give me the age ID, I will save it for them.
    If that last sentence didn't make sense to you, don't worry about it.

The only way to have a secure chest is to craft a personal safe (IC2). That said, don't steal from unlocked chests. We want this to be a fun and constructive server.

PvP is enabled everywhere, but don't be a dick. If two people want to fight, It doesn't matter to me, but leave peaceful players be.

The server has no /home or /warp command.
    Want a home? Sleep in a bed.
    Want to warp? Mystcraft age/portal gun/nether portal/IC2 teleporter. There you go.

This post is super lazy. I will have a better one sometime tomorrow in a different thread ^^.

AnnodynS likes this.
  19. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

<3 <3 <3 FTB!!! I made three new things in my first two hours.. barrel, pocket crafter, copper chest. So much to learn! :)

20. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

Is it still supposed to be whitelisted? Some players have told me they still can't get on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.