Shadecrest Classic

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by mightymcc, Dec 1, 2012.

?

How much would you like this?

1. Go for it! (100%)

16.7%
  2. Would be nice (75%)

8.3%
  3. It would be great to stop the complaining (50%)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. eh (25%)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't like it too much (-25%)

16.7%
  6. Nope (-100%)

58.3%
  7. Don't Care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mightymcc

mightymcc Member

So I was reading some of the goodbyes, like therandomtaco's and the_mexicans (both members btw), and I had a great idea. Why not make a classic survival server? I used to have a server that shall remain unnamed, until the permissions failed and deleted themselves and the computer OS crashed and I decided it was too much work anyway. I could easily recreate old SC and host it or give a copy to imaxorz. I understand the reason for SC 2.0 and i'm not against it, I just like the classic better. (my personal opinion, i know lots of others like 2.0 better, but this is for those who don't)
    Why:
    Most of the members left because they had no attachment left to the server. Their stuff gone, friends leaving, and the server changed so much it was no longer truly Shadecrest for them. I know this personally, as I felt it too. I literally was creating the goodbye post when i changed my mind. its people like majestic_moose and SB_Supreme (theres a longer list) who i would miss if i left shadecrest.
    How:
    With some organizing and plugin configuration, i could get a new server running in a week. if I hosted it, the max players would be 30 (50 at most) and the world size would be about 7500-35000 blocks ( not a typo, depends on the amount of worlds). we could probably figure out a economy bridge or something ti make them more connected. Post more below please.

The benefits of another server would be:
    -a more diverse community
    -more popularity ~no offense to extreme survival, but regular is generally more popular
    -happy members ~if players could choose their difficulty they would stop complaining
    The disadvantages are
    -ANOTHER shadecrest server
    -imaxorz will probably need some convincing
    -syncing the economy and such will need to be sorted out (post below)

Please consider this, it would be great for old shadecrest to come back!

Thanks,
    mightymcc

2. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

I'm fine with it, but that might possibly stretch out the amount of servers we have since there we already have creative, survival, survival games, (a possible feed the beast server), AND a classic shade crest server? That would be 5 servers total if max decides to go through with it. It might scatter the players out so much to the point where we only have like 10-12(which is kinda what it is right now) people on each server(unless creative server is completely unphased by this new survival server)

And it's not like I'm hating on this post, I just dont see how Shade Crest survival is in any way failing, considering the fact there were almost 30 people on friday night.

3. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

I think this is the main reason that max is hesitant to release the old map. (mere speculation. He might just be lazy.) Something like this would draw people away from the actual server. The whole point of the reset was to have a new beginning. Simply hosting a copy of old Shadecrest would defeat the purpose of the reset. A new, regular, survival server would not be quite as bad, but it would still have a possibility of drawing players away from the official server. I'm afraid this idea would simply be too much like resurrecting Shadecrest 1.0, which, frankly, had outlived its lifespan and needed to die.

4. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Yeah... We should stop trying to resurrect the old server. It was reset for a reason. The reason the old server was so amazing wasn't because of the map, it wasn't because of the players, it wasn't because of the economy, it wasn't the builds, it wasn't the staff, it was ALL OF THAT combined at the perfect time. That time has past. Look at shadecrest now. We have a brand new map with very few builds, a very young economy, but still have amazing players and staff (apart from the damn hue's, that is obnoxious ;) ). This means if we just focus on the current server and abandon the vein attempts to live in the past, we can make the current server better than the last one. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

5. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

There will be a old sc sg map, but it will not resemble the old maps, it will just have some of the famous towns and builds.

6. mightymcc

mightymcc Member

I don't want a clone of ol' SC, just something similar (same plugins, same rules, etc...)
    Basically, we would wipe out all save data and start off clean. if you think about it, its the same thing we did for SC 2.0 but no plugins added. (could be called SC 1.5)

This would not really hurt the shadecrest community that much, as most of the people who didn't like the new SC already left. A lot of them (therandomtaco, _flagellum, etc) would come back for this, and new guests that wouldn't like the challenge could have a chance and maybe switch servers later.
    \\
    SC classic would be a reset version, so all the plugin data that i would need would be the config.

I know that this is what I want, but a lot of the newer (since january) members share this point of view with me and thats the group i'm targeting. notice how you people that don't like this have been around longer?

7. mightymcc

mightymcc Member

does anybody know how many people left?

8. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

We knew people would leave when we made the decision to get ehm. Most people that left were already pretty much inactive. the idea is basically like switching back to a no ehm server except splitting the server population in two.

9. Mercury_NYC

Mercury_NYC Member VIP

This reminds me of a story. In Ultima Online my guild all played on Atlantic. It was too slow for many and they all decided to move to Napa. I was furious. I did NOT want to start over. I built up my character and didn't have time to start over. I stayed in Atlantic, with a handful of ex-guild mates (about 80% of the guild left us....*sob*)

It wasn't the same. Also the guild withered because the other 20% were pretty good guild mates like me and I kept saying "See! See! We should never have left!"

You know what happened? The guild met new people on Napa. They prospered. People like me snarled and gnashed their teeth at all this change. Boo! I hated it.

Bottom line of my story is much like Cortés with the new world. We burned our ships. We aren't bringing back the old server. You are either with us, or bon voyage in my opinion. I will miss the old guys, but I have a feeling there are lots of new players who will join us and stay.

Z_Millla and imaxorz like this.
  10. mightymcc

mightymcc Member