An idea for plotworld.

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by Legend9468, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Well I was talking with Trukklob and I came up with an idea for new people on the server and looking to get promoted.

We have magnificent plotworld builds for new people to look at when they arrive and other good ones around the place for them to look at.

But we don't have examples of bad builds so that they know what not to do.

The idea is as following: We set up a warp with what we would consider a bad build, as in the most stereotypical submission we can think of. We then either place signs on it or make another build next to it, detailing improvements that can be made to it. This way the guests can see and compare to their own builds, instead of someone getting called out and giving manual suggestions on what can be improved.

adam_mills likes this.
  2. AwesomeGuy2010

AwesomeGuy2010 Active Member

Great idea Legend! I was recently accepted and promoted to Builder I. While, I was working on my plot, I noticed a giant cobble box next to me, and while flying through the builder world, a giant dirt box. Letting people know about things like this will be a great thing and the worlds will look much better off without silly builds like that, that will be removed It will save admins a lot of time.

3. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

At the start there Is a build example of what your work should look like, they also go through a quiz pointing out stupid builds won't get promoted, so if people don't bother to listen or look at what is already there to help them, they are unlikely to go out of their way for some suggestions, good idea though, I just dunno if it will change the majority of people's approach

4. Legend9468

Well a fair few of the builds that I see are what I would call "Almost there" builds. The builder has a fair idea of what they're trying to do and it's almost there in terms of quality; but there's details around it that prevent it from being a good build.

So maybe if we do it as more of a metal checklist for them then? Like they wander through and they can go:

Have I done the interior?
    Are the outside walls flat?
    Have I used the space in the plot properly?

I know that we have the example builds, but to a fair few people, I would imagine that they look at it and imagine that it's outside of their skill range. So maybe if we make something fairly standard and bring it back down to what they perceive their level to be, then we can show them how to improve on it.

5. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

if they would just look at half of the plot world there is plenty of examples lol

6. Legend9468

I know. But there is a difference between appreciating how a painting looks, and knowing the techniques/concepts behind the painting.

7. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Legend I usually take the new people for a 'tour' around the many example plots all surrounding them. :) I point out what the flaws are nearby and I show them what is 'right' with the good builds nearby. It works very nicely.

I think the important element of your suggestion.. is the need for someone... admin, architect, or builder.. to point out those elements. The examples are everywhere..:) just need to make good use of them for the players.

8. Qandipup

Qandipup Member

The plots around me was a laptop, 2% done glass house, a cobble tower and a crafting table. I never finished my plot either. : P

CanOpenerTrooper likes this.
  9. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

This is a good idea. If the new players can be given specific examples for each type of build (castle/fortress, english garden, scottish mannor for example) and shown these when they join, it would help their build massivly.

10. Legend9468

That's the basic idea. I had someone the other day, who was making a fortress; they understood that they needed crenelations on their wall and indeed they put them on, but they were 2D. So I took them and showed them how having them stick out would make it look better. Small things like that. These people know how to build, they're just short of a few concepts.

11. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

Also, I have noticed that alot of new players don't have any idea to start. If someone (z_millla) could make a redstone device to randomly give new players something to do, it would help them start.

12. sioutdoors

I did totally understand this either but the idea of plotworld is to sort of trim the fat. If I as an admin have to tell a guest where to start and how, it gets really annoying. The better builders already know what to do. And thats what we need. After all the plots are "applications" to be a member. Not all that apply will get in.

13. Legend9468

Most people already have an idea of what to build.

My idea's just comes from; whenever a guest calls me (or any of us) out to plotworld, it always seems to be the same things that need improving on. Regardless of the actual build, they seem to consistently miss some key points. So what I was hoping to do instead was point them "here" (A warp) and tell them to take a look and see if they're missing any of that.

14. sioutdoors

/warp travel is a list of good build examples at all ranks very easy to do just click a sign and you are tp'ed there. Most underused portion of shade crest.

15. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Legend that was exactly what I meant and I know what you are talking about. Sometimes they are a pretty decent builder and are just missing an element or two. (Like needing to add a bit more depth with beams or something.) That's when I take them a few plots out to find what I'm trying to say. Of course, I would say that most of those were already Builder I qualified. :)

If they have a bad build..well it's hard to really help them and I understand it's a weeding out process. Just out of kindness, I took one player ( who really did want to learn and was just doing a horrible job) out to a small build that was decent and told him to try something like that. He even admitted that maybe he just needed to stay in plot world and 'practice'. lol I promised to come back and check on him later.

16. sioutdoors

honestly some people are just not used to creative mode for anything other than speeding around in a cave. So they still build survival type box houses. 9 times out of 10 if they need help with their building style, there is already a build somewhere to sort of match what they are trying to do. The hard part is remembering where it was lol

AnnodynS likes this.
  17. AwesomeGuy2010

I'll state my point of view on this. I am only 12 but I was recently accepted to Builder I. I know that we have a lot of young players but I believe it is the majority that are not building proper builds. Let's talk about the bad builds. I had a look at them and I can say it is about 30% new players, (from /seen) and about 60% first time creative players. People new to creative often don't understand that there are almost no limits, and most people are going past the Minecraft slogan, 'The Only Limit Is Your Imagination'. If this slogan was stated, it may change the outcome of builds in the plotworld, and make Shade Crest Creative a better looking place. ;)

18. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Wat.
    We already have example builds of good builds. Note that we also have something to tell the players we're not going to promote based on a lousy job. It's not that complicated. You either build good or you don't. And that's pretty much just what the staff looks for.
    And what max and siout said is true. if they can build good, they can build good. There's really no need to differentiate for them what a good is and what a good build isn't.
    [​IMG]

19. AwesomeGuy2010

Sorry if I have come across the wrong way, I was just making suggestions, not trying to be mean to admins.

20. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

It's fine. There are always spots that require improvement on the server :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.