How to make your build promotion worthy

Discussion in 'Creative Guides and Tutorials' started by Lionfish12, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

This is the guide for everyone who has had their build rejected for promotion, and you have no idea how to fix your build and make it better because it's already "perfect".
    Or even for those of you who just want to be a better builder, here are some tips:

1. Listen to advice anyone gives you, even if they are a lower rank, and always ask for advice!

Criticism is better than any compliment you can get. Your build is never perfect and there is always something you can fix/add to make it better. Don't just dig for compliments, ALWAYS ask what you can do better. If someone gives you advice, take it into consideration and do something about it!

2. Plan your build before you build it!

Don't just jump right into a build without knowing what you are going to make. Google images of styles of buildings you are wanting to make and go to /warp travel to look at other builds to get inspiration.
    Structure is everything, so plan out how your build will look by laying down blocks in the shape of your build. That way if you end up not liking it you can change a few blocks asides from a whole wall.

Also when you are making the shape of your build, DO NOT MAKE IT SQUARE! Squares are boring, don't be a square.

Things you should not build:
    • Pixel art
    • Redstone
    • A huge box made out of 1 block
    • Rollercoasters/minecraft rails
    • A jungle/forest
    • Checkered Board patterns
    • Pyramids
    • Creeper statues (or any mobs/players to be exact)
    • Unrealistic floating structures
    • Statues of yourself or another player
    Keep in mind, this is an architectural, we want to see something that took effort and skill to make, not just you placing a tree and bone-mealing it.

3. Pick a color scheme that you will use throughout the whole build, typically 2-5 main blocks you will build with, then 1-3 accent blocks. DO NOT OVER USE BLOCKS!

The blocks you use in your build are typically the biggest reason people don't get promoted. Always choose before you build your building the blocks that you will use, don't just use random blocks that you like. First, choose your main blocks, typically stones or woods, that will be used as the main structure throughout the build. Then, if you want, you can choose a couple blocks that will appear just as decoration to add color or texture to a build, but do not use these blocks a lot or it will ruin your build!

These are blocks you should NEVER use as your main building material, only as detail, windows, lighting, or accents: (It doesn't mean to never use them, just don't make your whole build out of this one solid block ;))
    [​IMG]

4. Details will make your build!
    Almost every time you get an admin to look at your build, they will say, "Needs more details". When we say that we pretty much mean the walls on your build are flat, boring, and lacking texture and depth.

Here are some examples of what you can do to add detail:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some more examples can be collums, arches, and especially landscaping can make your build so much better.

5. Add landscaping!

Especially when you are building on a plot, landscaping makes it look SO much better! By just adding a hill, waterfall, some natural looking trees to your plot, it makes it look a ton better. Be careful not to go overboard with trees though, and DON'T use tall jungle trees, they don't look nice.

If you are building in builder/creative world, use the land that you find. You don't always need to have land flattened, try building on a mountain, or a hill. The curves and bumps of the landscape will make your build look more realistic and can sometimes add to a build.
    If you are building on flat land, make sure to add landscape around it like trees or hedges.

6. Don't leave the inside of your build empty.

Add furniture, or something that goes with the theme of your build. If you are making a house, put in things that are in a house. If you are making a temple and want a large open space, add columns, supports, and even couches and lounge areas to fill up some room.

Also, don't leave your floor plain. Add a design, rug, or pattern. This will make the roof feel a lot more detailed and less empty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this helped, and it wasn't too long to read through. x)
    TL;DR: http://www.shadecrest.com/site/index.php?threads/3733/
    Also, thanks to everyone who I took screen shots of their build, hopefully you don't mind me using them, hahah.

Feel free to post any other tips if you have any. :)

2. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

nicely done

3. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

This is perfect Lion. I would only add the checkerboard pattern to the things we don't like to see overused. Love the closeup photos with explanations. Great job. :)

4. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Muy bueno

5. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

This is very well done. I will definitely be showing this to guests.

6. Dann01520

Dann01520 Member Creative Architect

This is a really good tutorial! Nice work! I feel quite inspierd by the "dont just build on flat land" section.. :)

7. Lionfish12

Thank you! x)

I added some more stuff that we don't want to see,
    If you have anything that you think would be good up here, i'll add it :)

8. Lionfish12

That list isn't for what not to use, it's just what not to overuse,
    cobblestone can be nice, but is waaay overused in plots.

9. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

Hey lion I think you should go check out /warp melon it uses melons and iron blocks!

10. Lionfish12

Lol, I know, i'm super hypocritical, but this post is mainly for guests who overuse all the ugly blocks and also that image isn't meant to say that you can't use any of those blocks in a build, just that they shouldn't be used as your main building block, like for walls and such.

11. TheKillorX

TheKillorX Active Member Creative Architect

i feel honored that you used one pattern of my artemis mansion build :cool:
    but seriously this guide is really good. well done
    and for everybody who thinks this isnt useful: build something like this :) shouldnt be too hard and i bet it will get you at least builderI : http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/xehanosia-with-world-download/
    oh and one more thing: i have to disagree with you, i think theres no block you shouldnt use,
    you can make every build nice with every block. i know somebody built an awesome dirt cathedral... sounds creepy doesnt it

12. Lionfish12

Thanks killor, and I think if Someone were able to make that in a plot we would just give them keys to the server hahaha

And I wasn't trying to say that those block should never be used in a build, just not as a main block unless you know how to incorporate it well. This guide was mainly for guests and beginning builders and to just point out that you should stay away from those blocks until you can really make them work otherwise we see giant emerald boxes (which we do 24/7) haha

13. AwesomeGuy2010

AwesomeGuy2010 Active Member

Stumbled upon this a few days ago, nice work Lion. A lot of guests would need this for plots and some builders too. Good job.:D

14. Williamtu4

Williamtu4 New Member

aahaha I ~Barely~ achieved builder I with a pyramid, next I should read the forum before building, that might have helped :3

15. RozzyRanger101

RozzyRanger101 Member Creative Architect

This is awesome Lion, good ideas too.

16. TehRawB

TehRawB Active Member Creative Architect

How about adding a plot in the plotworld whit signs close to the accual starting area whit small easy tips like the isle just in smaller scale as most of the guests dosent bother leaving plotworld. might get some ppl started atleast.

17. Bighappysmiles

Bighappysmiles New Member

Just one thing I would like to say about step #2.....(well two)

I would say this is a very important step for people who have really never had experience with building things. I would also say it is a good idea for large and mylti-building builds. It really depends on what you are building. I mean I planned almost abosolutely nothing in /warp oldravensroost, and that is my best build ever (In this case I did not even plan the location of my buildings. I would suggest that if you are going for a more structured and advanced town). Building with no plan really encourages you to build something unique, a whole new style that has never been done before and is completely yours. So, planning can be good, but it can also hinder your own creativity, and I know everyone has LOTS of creativity!

I would also like to say something about the "find something on google images" part. To everyone who uses google images, DO NOT COPY A BUILDING!!!!! Its kinda like minecraft plagurism. If you really think you need to copy a building, find a picture of something in real life. Finding something in real life will make you HAVE to add your own creativity because you can not transfer a real building straight from a picture to minecraft. It will encourage you to create solutions to problems and you might even discover some new building technique or design!

Please don't take this as saying your article is not good, lionfish, Its amazing. I just felt I had to post this because I have built some very amazing things doing this.

Anyone think I should do my own in depth building series????Lol

AnnodynS likes this.
  18. AwesomeGuy2010

AwesomeGuy2010 Active Member

One thing I'd like to say about step 3.....

I have used a lot of obsidian and my gothic style build and everyone is saying that it looks really good. I'm not critisising, I'm just saying that I think obsidian works well when used in the right building context. :D

Other than that, this thread is really great! This will help me to get Builder II or Archetect. (If I reach that far!)

19. antasdf

antasdf New Member

i dont understand why we dont add tutorials like this to tutisland or just give guests this link???

20. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

We try, we explain, tl;dr.

There is a new tutisland being done in the wings however....

CanOpenerTrooper and AnnodynS like this.