Architect and requierments

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by Pelle_Sudden, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Pelle_Sudden

Pelle_Sudden Member Creative Architect

I have a suggestion about the requierments for architect.

I just thought of something the other day when watching some videos of minecraft builds in a modern style..

I was thinking:
    This is something out of my "comfortzone", Im not sure I can pull this style of and I wonder how many people that have seen me building stuff other then medieval houses, towers and walls.
    And shouldn't an architect be able to build and teach people in other styles then just their main one?

My suggestion is therefore:
    Builders that are considered to become architects by passing the requierments on the forum should be asked to build a sertain build chosen by admins and/or other architects.
    This to prove that they can build in other styles then the builds which they use in their arch-app. This would not be a huge build or project but more like one house, or one tower or one statue or ship/airship or other vehicles in a specific style.
    This would really prove that builder can do more then only one style or one kind of build and to show that they are dedicated to prove themselfs worthy architect.

I really think that would be a good way to prove yourself worthy to be architect. But I dont know if Im pushing the eccpertations of architects to far or if this will make it way to complicated.

//Pelle

AnnodynS likes this.
  2. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

you wouldn't ask picaso to paint in another style would you?

3. Pelle_Sudden

I wouldn't but he wasnt an architect who was there to help others;)

4. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Lol I sort of agree with this, but don't we already have a rule like that like you need to show a good spread of build styles through your progression at ShadeCrest. Maybe that was just a challenge I set myself though.

ECompany101 likes this.
  5. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

I think this is a pretty good idea,
    If you really are talented you should be able to make different styles and make them look good. I think that I kind of fell guilty of using the same style in all my builds, and when I changed that and tried something new I ended up liking it.
    I think this way it does make it more challenging, but seeing new styles is always good :)

6. TheKillorX

TheKillorX Active Member Creative Architect

i dont this idea is really good...
    like siout said:you wouldnt ask picasso to paint in another style right?
    most arch builds are so fascinating because the blocks fit together perfectly and it is like that because the person can handle this blocks and knows how to make the look good. one more thing is that the block pallette has to be good.
    if you replace the right blocks with the right blocks, so if you change the block pallette in a build, it still will be awesome.
    i say: let the people build with the blocks they like.
    and if you can give tips or not does not depend on the block pallette of a build. i depends on your knowledge about depth and detail in general.
    so i say again: let the people build with the blocks they like.
    i understand your idea but i dont think its a good one.

7. A360P

We are talking style over block pallets Killor, so if someone comes to us with a medieval city it would be nice to see for example that they got rank II for something completely different. Take me for example, rank I modern, rank II I don't even know what to call vinewood, Architect fantasy thingy.

8. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Wat.... This seems a bit over the top. You might be pushing it for expectations :/

9. A360P

Probably, but I do think an Architect should be able to build in more than one style.

10. TheKillorX

kinda what i wanted to say...

11. A360P

This is exactly what i used to think, until I got architect. It may be because I haven't been building for as long as some of you guys but my mindset changed when I got arch. I am now in the mind that a really good builder should be able to turn their hands to anything, and seeing as architect is the highest rank build wise, it is my opinion that at least some of this should be taken into account.

Another thing based off of this is that most people (really don't want to offend anyone here, trust me I don't intend to as most of you build better than I do ten-fold) is that there are so many people who build in style x for the scale of buildings we require for this rank. Go to PMC right now and I guarantee that all of the top projects will probably all be in the same style unless they are organic or terra-forming. No, this isn't a bad thing, but nor is it good. It's funny how we all say 'not another pagoda' or 'modern build' go build something unique to rank Is and IIs but when it comes to architect we're like yup cool. Once again, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, all the archs that have been promoted obviously deserve it, but I also don't think it is bad to push our expectations. People will only ever grow as builders if they test themselves, one way of doing this is obviously to try something new. I know I say this again and again and I'm sorry for repeating myself, but when I joined I had only started building and I wasn't good at all, I rapidly improved IMO and I only did this because I tried new things. I'm not an architect level builder really, but because I did something different with Halo I got architect and I would love to see more of the same. Another example being Xenii's build, he tried something different and I don't remember anyone saying no, and everyone thought it was cool because it is different.

I for one am glad that Pelle bought this up.

*waits for the too long, didn't read comment*

AnnodynS likes this.
  12. Pelle_Sudden

I just brought this up cause i think players of all ranks would have benefit of this:)
    And I agree with what A360P says: You learn by trying new things although its comffier to do something you know of.

By the way the way I find the arguemen of Picasso invalid. Picasso did learn and master other styles before the one he is most famous for ;)

Othervise nice to hear the opinion of others:)

AnnodynS likes this.
  13. TheKillorX

maybe the most popular builds are same style but that doesnt mean they are the best builds. different things are always good idea, BUT that doesnt mean normal or even mainstream things are bad. look at my builds i mainly use wood and cobble. LAAAMMMEEE!!!! but i dont think you can say it looks bad (prove me wrong :p ) look at trukks builds: same materials and he got arch too. for me it looks like you just dont like mainstream things... and i kinda understand that, but think the whole discussion here is... idk...saying senseless is too hard, but look just imagine we have somebody how build an awesome build with mainstream style and then you give him a block pallette and a style that looks completely different and then he fails and you wanna tell me that he isnt good enough for arch just because he wasnt able to make two good builds that look completely different? and this is the main idea from pelle when i remember right. so make an extra rank or bring other ideas cause this wouldnt be fair

AnnodynS likes this.
  14. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Why don't we just let them do whatever the heck they want to do? It's not that deep.

15. Pelle_Sudden

I did NOT mean there should be anny requierment using different materials, requierments for not beeing mainstream, different pallet or annything like that. Its just that I think as for an architect you should be able to build a nice looking house or ship or just anny build asked and mabey in a modern, medieval or futuristic style. Just something to show that you really can handle structures.
    For example:
    If I applyed I for arch I mabey would have been asked to build a ship or something modern because I haven't proved myself on those things in my previous builds.:)

AnnodynS likes this.
  16. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

This isn't about the building side of Arch, but I do have another suggestion to the requirements.

- Be on the forums for at least two weeks and be a member (as compared to the 'new member' that you get tagged with when you join).

It's not an especially difficult goal to achieve, but it does demonstrate community participation, sort of.

17. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I love the idea of seeing Archs expanding their building styles and skills. Personally, I'd be surprised if any of the architects couldn't built pretty much anything you asked them to. As far as i can tell, the real skill of architect is that regardless of style.. they have developed a certain level of depth, detail, originality, and size that is far above builder II.

I'd never built a statue in my life--the challenge was both fascinating and terrifying. I'm so glad we had that contest to push me out of my comfort zone. I've built in every style.. in the last year.. except maybe steam punk. Why I was afraid of that I have no idea. It's on my to do list atm. But I am intending to try it.

The fact is that most players consider Architect an almost impossible rank to attain as it is so I'm not sure adding more qualifications would be the best idea.

An interesting thought might be to have a level above architect.. earned by proving yourself in several categories--you could call it Master Architect or something like that. I was thinking either A360 or Killor had suggested that before too. It would give Archs a new standard to aim for.. and help motivate them to expand their repertoire which would be great for community of course.

Oh my gosh.. I miss you guys so much!!1 <3 <3 :D

A360P likes this.
  18. A360P

^this is what I was trying to say, but in gooder engerish innit^

AnnodynS likes this.
  19. iamenrique123

iamenrique123 Active Member VIP

I love how now that you are architect ur trying to make it harder to get ;)

But I think it's a good idea.

20. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

A3, I agree about the arch building style having a lot of similarities. In fact I was nervous wondering whether I could even do it or not. :) I'm sure I could.. just haven't tried yet. I think it has helped me tremendously in some ways NOT to have been on a creative server all year if only for the fact that I developed my own 'style' as a result.

That being said..most of the arch builds I've seen blew my socks off. :) I think we do expect to see some originality in the theme at least.