University out of state.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by DastardlyWhale, May 2, 2013.

1. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

So, I've thinking a lot about attending university out of my current state when I finish junior college. I'm really looking towards the University Of Washington for personal reasons and educational reasons, but I'll be the first one in the family to do something like this, since my older brother decided to stay local in his university. Also, my parents are the type that worry a lot and fear that I am not ready to face this challenge of independence. Any advice anybody can give me so that i can still keep pursuing this school?

2. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

I'm kind of doing the same thing except I'm staying in state but moving into the city of Atlanta (where Georgia Tech is)
    To be honest, the best thing to do is study hard and get the best grades you can.

Dman2416, AnnodynS and DastardlyWhale like this.
  3. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Very true about the cost. Are you hoping to get scholarships?

I am wondering too what ways you could maybe show your ability to handle the situation so your parents would feel more comfortable. We let our sons move out to nearby apts or room with friends first.. just to know that if they messed up, they'd still have us to sort of fall back on if it didn't work.

One son did come back home.. but prepared a little better.. and headed back out again with our blessing. Another son had no issues at all, but he again, lived close by. Then actually, he moved to Washington State. By that time we all knew he was ready.

How about asking your parents for a chance to manage on your own, close to home for say six months or so, so they can see that you will be ok? :) It would give you an opportunity to experience the ups and downs of living on your own with little risk too.

4. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Its so different in the UK, but all I can say is that you have to do a course you will enjoy. It's cheesy as anything, but after two years at uni myself I wish I did something I enjoyed a little more (not that I don't enjoy it, I just don't love it). Anyway, whatever you end up doing good luck!

AnnodynS and Z_Millla like this.
  5. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Beyond the obvious issue of money, there are two main things to take into consideration:

-Doing something you enjoy is infinitely more important than trying to please other people.

-Support during big life changes is really damn helpful.

Doing something enjoyable is going to be important to everyone. How much support you need is different from person to person, some people needing little to no support at all. If you confident that this school is the correct choice for you, you need to go to your parent and demand support. Why do I say demand? Beyond giving criticism, your parents have no control over your decision. What they can control is how well you are setup to succeed in this new environment. Try and make them aware of this.

I'm the youngest of four kids and now the last to be going through college. The consensus I've gotten is doing something you enjoy is more important than anything. Best of luck to ya.

A360P likes this.
  6. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

If you do go out of state at least you choose a great school :)