oh noes... another rank idea!

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by trukklob, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

hehe, get it...? "rank idea"? :D (as in, it's probably bad... nobody...? -oh well, lol)

Anyways... I think that the current rank system is very solid; guest, b1, b2, arch, admin. The only room for an additional rank that I continue to see is the gap between the "guest" and "builder 1" ranks. It seems to me that the jump from b1 to b2 is appropriate, and the process to promote from b2 to arch is tough, but fair. However, the jump from guest to b1 seems at times a bit disjointed and arbitrary. I'm not saying this because I know all the parameters that an admin may be using whilst judging any given plot build for a promotion, but simply as a casual player who occasionally flies over the builder world.
    Builder world is messy, cluttered, and littered with poor quality builds that for me personally would still be restricted to a plot. If there were to be an additional rank created in the future, an intermediate rank between guest and b1 would make the most sense to me (perhaps with simultaneous perks added to higher ranks to sweeten the deal for those who are putting in the effort).
    There would be no need for an additional world for this rank, as they would remain on their plot upon promotion. The "guest" build that won the first promotion could be deleted (screenshot or w/e perhaps, if it's particularly good...?). I have seen this on *gulp... (other servers) :D
    The guest rank could have some very straightforward promotion criteria. For example: If you build a box, you will be a guest until you do not build boxes. There could be some very simple guidelines for new guests looking for that first promo, like "everyone must build a simple house" or "demonstrate a simple ship". If the new guest can quickly and effectively build something within the criteria, they could move on to the "new" rank. Still restricted to plot world, but now allowed to free-build as they wish (perhaps these steps could be reversed... free-build at first, then admin-guided "themed" plot build for b1 promo...?).
    In conclusion, good builders get promoted more quickly, and can rank up faster, while being filtered through an additional layer (albeit a thin layer) of scrutiny before they are released into the builder world to muck about as they please. Less experienced or immature builders can free-build, but cannot squeak-by under the radar into a higher rank that gives them access to the main builder world.
    This rank progression would, in my opinion, toughen the climb to arch, and may encourage player participation longevity at the same time. Kids these days are "completionists", and if they are given a progressive series of goals supported by player/admin feedback, it may foster an environment of competition as players seek the new ranks (while at the same time, driving additional traffic onto the server).

Long winded, I know... (did I really say "kids these days"???) *cough, so old-

Slap me silly if this doesn't make sense, or if the topic is dead... just thinking aloud as I drift to sleep!
    :D

~trukklob

2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Guests who build boxes do not get promo no matter what.

People seem to lift their game for the plot and then drop it again once they get promo. Another rank wouldn't serve to solve this problem. Not to mention there's the implementation. What permissions do we give to B1 now then? and who do we demote to the new "guest rank"?

We already get rid of builds we don't deem worthy of B1 in builder world. Another rank just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

trukklob likes this.
  3. iamenrique123

iamenrique123 Active Member VIP

So it would be, perhaps:

Builder
    Builder I
    Builder II
    Architect

I don't know, as far as ranks go, I think it's ok

trukklob likes this.
  4. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

Like what legend said. Keep in mind when players build their plot, they receive feedback, scrutiny and put a lot of effort in. This doesn't happen with builder 1's unless going for 2, and if a player doesn't like it, they may leave it and work on a new project elsewhere .

5. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

That makes sense, moose. The only reason it's an issue in my mind is exactly what you mentioned: builder 1's don't get feedback/scrutiny unless they are looking for a b2 promo. In the mean time, you have b1's flying around (mostly unchecked) building whatever, who may have just barely squeezed out of the guest rank.
    The added layer would complicate the admin process, though. Don't want to make Quiet's job any harder! xD

6. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

no. locking this thread. I've heard enough rank discussion. Ranks are fine the way they are. Shade Crest Creative is already working to revamp a lot of aspects about it, and we've already disclosed the idea of another rank.

iamenrique123 likes this.
  7. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

(There are other admins that do stuff apart from Quiet)

I would also like to take the time to remind people that the idea of a creative server is to get together and have fun building stuff; not to make uber amazing/realistic builds (Although they're nice as well)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.