Computer crashed

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Manglor, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

My computer crashed and anyone with any exp in troubleshooting comp problems please reply here

I can't figure out what happened, I was working on the comp and walked away maybe 30 min, cam back and computer was off, and will not start back up.

please help. i hate using this laptop and I cant play minecraft on it :p

2. 04blatca

04blatca Member Lead Admin VIP

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Is it plugged in?
    By the sounds of it, as Max said, it sounds like a power supply issue.
    Try removing the battery and trying to power it on again with just the external power in.
    Try searching for power supply issues relating to the make of laptop you have.

3. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

its not my laptop thats broken its my desktop I had to borrow the laptop, i dont want to use it I feel like i"m playing on a nintendo game boy or something.

My first thought is it was either the power supply or the MB both are brand new.
    diablotek 950w and msi 870a-g54 I think both have warrenty but I believe they are probably voided since I built the comp myself

How would I go about checking the power supply just plug it in and check each plug with a volt meter?

4. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

ok what should it do when I do this, should my power supply be coming on? nothing happens when I jump #14 ps_on to #3 com or #13 com

5. Gradous

Gradous New Member VIP

Does your motherboard have an LED to show that it's getting power?

6. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

Ya i check with an ampmeter and its getting nothing to the MB I'll have to try to get the warrenty from factory since its only 5 months old

7. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

I checked for voltage sorry.

8. Gradous

Gradous New Member VIP

It's a good thing it is your power supply...those things are much easier and cheaper to replace than nearly everything else in the computer (except maybe like...a wireless card or something)

9. gyrogyro4

gyrogyro4 New Member

Could it be the processor? My father's shot out a few months ago, and no matter what we did, it refused to turn on.

10. pyro5050

pyro5050 Active Member VIP

chances are it is the power supply as said already, nothing really points towards the cpu yet, a cpu error you will get a spin up of fans most of the time before the MB shuts it all down...

11. pyro5050

actually now that i think about it, it sounds like a multithreading java problem... you should really get a professional to look at it...

12. Gradous

Gradous New Member VIP

I have another thought: a shorted power button wire. Those can cause problems too (though granted, if you've already tested the PSU and no power is being put out, this doesn't matter). Just touch a screwdriver to the two pins for the power button if you want to check.

Another thought: make sure that the mobo isn't grounding to anything (as in, it's not touching the case directly, only the risers). Take it out of the case and put it on a towel, then hook all the basics up (RAM, PSU, CPU) and try that.

I highly doubt that the processor has anything to do with these problems. The last time someone told me my processor was bad, I refused to listen to them and returned the mobo for another, which turned on fine with the processor I had still (talking to you blatca ;) ... also, it does support 8GB of RAM :D )

13. pyro5050

NEVER PUT ELECTRONICS ON A TOWEL!

towels can short out a electronic device through static, and other means! get a anti static board or a crafters board (avalible at a craft store for 20 bucks,) if your doing computer work... i use a nice big sheet of foam core with static bags around it when working on anything electronic, even swaping fuses!

14. Gradous

Gradous New Member VIP

So pyro, how about clothing? Should I be fixing my computer naked then?

Sarcasm aside, maybe I'm just used to repairing things grounded. I wear a static strap, so if there is any charge on the towel, it transfers through me, who is grounded due to the strap. The room I do my computer work in is also not carpeted (tile floor I think), so I basically don't have static worries.

EDIT: also, fwiw

15. pyro5050

as some who know me via vent know, never ask pyro about clothing... because i am mostly naked or in my boxers when at home... :)

i do computer work in a static free set of boxers, wearing a static strap, and a plain white T-shirt that has been dried using bounce static sheets, and misted a few hours before with water to remove the last of the electicity... when soldering i am wearing a long sleeve shirt that contain zero cotton. i tend to burn myself when wearing a tshirt... i work in a hardwood floored room, on a wooden desk, beside an old computer steelie tower which i am grounded to (via strap) on my staic board that i spok of earlier... occasionally i will build a computer in my living room, which is weird for me... :)

16. Eman3dude

Eman3dude New Member VIP

I enjoy building my computers naked.... :3

17. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

Since I forgot to update this thread about what happened I'll let everyone know.

I took out the new PSU and hooked up my old PSU from another computer... nothing happened... when I plugged the CPU power cable up again all hell broke loose, my MB suddenly popped and I could see smoke and an arc, I thought oh great I fried it.

Turned the computer back on, It started up and everything ran... Hooked up the new PSU and it started up and everything ran...

For some reason a circuit blowing up FIXED my computer. If anyone could explain this that would be great.

I have not had one problem since this has happened, although I did keep a very close eye to make sure nothing caught on fire. Apparently everything has been working fine and I have not see any performance drops anywhere.

I'm thinking my MB could not handle the overclock I put on it, but reseting the cmos did not solve the problem only it blowing up and almost catching on fire fixed it

go figure