How Did you Get Started with Minecraft/Shade Crest?

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by ndvenckus1, Aug 12, 2013.

1. North_Korean

North_Korean Active Member VIP

Shadecrest stories time to initate the nostalgia. I was in a town called dragonforge. Their was me and darknoodle. Then a guy named seadawg and Archenemy666 joined. We were driven like slaves XD. Eventually this guy named cartertheminer joined and made borderlands. It was gross well once you got past spawn XD still dont know what we were thinking. Anyways we left and thus started the borderlands vs dragonforge wars.

2. kmpurplekat

kmpurplekat Active Member VIP

Uhh... I am really new to mc (1.5). I only saw it because my friend was playing single player and forced me to watch her go on a roller coaster. I was thinking that the game looked really stupid but then she had me build a roller coaster and it looked even more stupid. She showed me that you could build houses and that got my aspiring interior designer/architect mind in hooked. On her account we built the worst stonebrick square houses the world has ever seen. Then my sister bought an account and ShadeCrest just popped up in their servers list. I started playing SC creative on her account and that very night I bought my account just for SC. :D

3. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

How were you introduced to the game?

Well, one time I went to my cousins house for a smallish lan party type thing, and he thought it would be cool if we both played this fun snadbox game which he'd just found out about. So he copied a 'perfectly legal' version of it onto my pc and off we went. I seriously don't know how I became addicted to it after that. Although I do remember not realising that each world saved after you died. So I had about 4 different bases on the same world.

This was also the site of one of my first large projects (more or less, I was kinda new then); it was me replacing the top layer of an entire hill with glass and then hollowing out the inside. The effect was rather nice.

What version did you start playing in, and what was different back then?

Back in early Alpha I think it was. As for different stuff; everything was different. No hunger bar, creative mode, end portals, villagers and we had a world generation based on what time you started playing.

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today?

The Shadow of Israphael, by the Yogscast; sadly now discontinued. The only other ones that I watch with any regularity now are the Let's Build series by Yogscast Sjin and the odd video by Nativisions (Well worth checking out, he has lots of helpful tips).

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it (feel free to include your Shade Crest stories, too, if you wish)?

I found CW390's work on DeviantArt in Oct last year and then decided to check out his builds in game. I really don't know how it happened from there. I kinda just got settled in here and never left.

4. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I first found out about the game from from watching a guy who was doing spotlights on starcraft 2 who then randomly did a video on minecraft. He was on a friend's server and it was his first time playing, so the only information I got about the game was that it had terrible graphics, you could freely build penises, and something about minecarts being a thing. Somehow I found this interesting enough to get also "legal" version of the game right after the game went into beta.

While messing around in single player I started watching the Survival Island series by the yogscast, as well as the beginning of The Shadow of Israphael. Watching people play together made me really want to get on a server, so I finally bought the game and started looking. I got lucky enough to find shadecrest while initially looking for servers. I really liked the way it was structured and that it had an application, so I applied and tried some other servers while I waited. After joining, I never found a reason to leave.

I didn't know anyone when I joined the server, so I decided to try my luck and venture into pvp. I quickly learned that building a base 100 blocks from spawn wasn't the most ideal setup, and headed back to peaceful. Within the first day I joined Forgotten Cliff and slowly worked to buy land. Eventually I built a treehouse and then opened up a shop in it. It had a fancy boat elevator that was probably the coolest thing since sliced bread, and ezeiger92 helped me build my first monstrosity of a redstone build in the form of a very laggy wheat farm in the basement. Since I just farmed and traded items I got to meet tons of awesome people while innocently getting to watch all the pvp drama unfold.

5. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

I started playing pre 1.0.0 update, about 2 years ago.

6. Dezmo489

Dezmo489 Member

I work as a maintenance tech(PLC and instrumentation) for a certain company and on night shift my old supervisor would bring his laptop in and rant about minecraft. He even installed the client on his work computer xD. Anyways, I watched a few vids and watched him play and couldn't wrap my head around why he was playing this and not CoD?! Eventually he convinced me to purchase the Xbox version and I was hooked. It was all about having the most resources. I tried pretty builds but always fell short so I stuck to survival.

TU9? I think for Xbox.

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today?

Started watching syndicate because he also did zombie vids. Now I mainly watch the crew(jahova, kyr sp33dy, etc) for the entertainment factor.

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it (feel free to include your Shade Crest stories, too, if you wish)?

Well my old supervisor had slowly stopped playing and I got bored by myself really fast. I needed some sort of community. I always watched PC vids and wanted to try it, so I purchased the PC version mid July '13. I started my own personal server hoping my old Xbox buddies would join but they didn't and I was stuck by myself again trying to mod the game to make it look as cool as possible. I finally wanted a community so I started looking. I searched on the minecraft forums for a server with a decent ping and somehow ended up on Shade Crest.

The atmosphere was great from the get go. That's what I liked was the "Welcome"s at 2 a.m. Lol. After overcoming my color blind issue trying to find the brown wool I was in! Decided after that first time to fill out the online form and I was in. Decided to go VIP after random0ne and bobby helped after I had been grief'd. They fixed it so fast and even gave me my cat disk back :) even though the roll back didn't work quite 100%. Still super thankful.

7. TheKillorX

TheKillorX Active Member Creative Architect

How i started with minecraft:
    Well i know minecraft from some of my friends....
    at the beginning i actually thought it was one of those crap games they always play xD (they are still playing so many crap games.... :p)
    but one day one of them just downloaded on my computer gave me his account and said: play it!!!!
    So i started. I was never a fan of survival even at the beginning. I made a really really really big map.... i built it like one year long and it never looked really good.... but it was full of insider gags :p and i loved it :).

How i came to Shadecrest:
    Well after some time i started playing on servers after i lost motivation for the singleplayer map so i went to different servers. I was on an server with really awesome builders... honestly best builders i have ever seen btw.
    But after some time the server went down and i was searching for new servers for like 1 month, then i found shadecrest and it was the only server i liked since that first server.
    So i started playing here and i still do it :D

8. AwesomeGuy2010

AwesomeGuy2010 Active Member

I watched a review on Good Game and thought I'd give it a try.

What version did you start playing in, and what was different back then?I joined in Beta, but bought the game when it was officially released. Honestly I didn't get around to buying the game before that.

I don't watch too much, other than skydoesminecraft and ethoslab.

I googled some servers and Shade Crest just felt right for me. I joined on July 1st, 2012. (Over a year!)When I came on, I built myslef a small house, learned to make shops and lock my chests, and soon enlisted in a underground city project with Kingofall2 (now known as NikleKing). I had a house and everything. I enlisted some of my friends IRL to come on to Shade Crest and help me build a giant shop, one to top majestic_moose 's. Sadly, halfway through constuction the reset was planned and I lost everything. Today, I am part of Kingston and I am currently recreating kingo's city. Thread here:
    http://www.shadecrest.com/site/threads/4671/
    There isn't much else really. I ran in the last mod election and came pretty close, but it was a 4-way tie or something. That's probably why I've been a bit stressed over my mod apps. I currently sell horses, and other than that not much else. I'm a builder II on the creative server, but Survival is where my heart is. I've made some cool friends and will continue to play here for years to come.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  9. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

I'm not sure you understand how the mod selection works. You're not going up against anyone else, the votes are an indicator to staff how well like you are in the community and such, and how people feel about you being granted the rank. People can get 20 votes and still not make the grade.

10. AwesomeGuy2010

Oh ok, I was told differently so I just went with what I knew. I was told that I came close though.

11. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

He's talking about the old system we're there was a public poll and the top 3-5 got mod
    i'm curious to see who told you that you were close because you were disqualified.

12. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

one day while playing runescape i heard some guys in my clan talking about "Minecraft" i thought it sounded cool and asked "what on earth is that?" they all replied and told me about how glorious the game is and how cool redstone is and stuff, so i looked it up and knew i had to buy it. so i did :)

i started playing about two months before nether fortresses and breeding got added, so like apha or 1.7... lol i dunno
    the first youtuber i watched i think was madness64 or jamziboyminecraft, soon realising how much jamzi's voice annoyed me, i started watching madness much more, i still watch his vids

i started shadecrest in december of 2011, and tbh i dont remember much, i know the first person i met and chatted with was dragonewt, i joined his town then he went to flexcity, so i followed. i believe newt then vanished off the server, so i started chatting with Z_Millla, i remember the first convo with him was him flying around my house helping me build back in those days mods could fly tp etc. soon after i talked with awastedlife a tad. i think thats about the earliest memory i have...

13. AwesomeGuy2010

What? How?

14. AwesomeGuy2010

sharqman
    I was never told I was diaqualified from that election, what happened?