Player vs Player Rule Revamp

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by Slebert, Sep 9, 2013.

?

Do you think a PvP Rule Revamp is a good idea?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

For those of you who do not know who i am, i am Slebert. I have been on ShadeCrest for a while now (over 2 years). I have noticed that there are a lot of problems with Player vs Player on ShadeCrest recently. Some of these problems have been caused by unnecessary and game breaking rules. It seems to me that every time someone is killed in Player vs Player they were probably either killed due to someone breaking a rule, or by someone doing something that will soon be considered breaking a rule. There have been many of rules made since i used to PvP back in the days of Exile. Most of which have been pretty unnecessary and to be quite honest, they have turned many people away from PvPing. When you used to encounter someone in PvP, you actually got scared that they where going to kill you and get your awesome armour and sword! Now the real fear is being banned. So many silly little rules that are not necessary. Back in the days of Exile and Dragonforge when I PvP'd, there where few rules, the necessary rules. Stuff like not being able to warp away when being chased. Come to think of it that's the only big one I can think of, and to be honest, those were the best times i ever had on ShadeCrest, actually the best time I ever had on Minecraft. It was so hard to raid back then, not due to having to travel long distances, not because you had to be careful to not break any rules, but because you were scared of dying, there was actually a risk of that back then, people would not stop pounding you, they spawned and came back with their fists, this was not illegal. It shouldn't be, when you go raiding, you are taking a huge risk, you shouldn't get to just stroll around for free after you kill everyone, you should have to fight for the loot!

I think we should restart our PvP rules, Ditch the unnecessary and start things off like they where when it was fun!

The Rules I Think are
    Necessary:

1. No Teleporting out while being chased
    2. No setting your home in or within 200 blocks of someones base/town
    3. No Greifing (Duh...) EXCEPT for getting into/out of buildings and all blocks broke must be replaced

Obviously The Rules would be open for Discussion, all though i don't see a real need for anymore than this.
    Please share your Ideas, and make sure to vote!

2. North_Korean

North_Korean Active Member VIP

Been meaning to bring this up I know nifix agrees. I believe that a more "anarchy"(Not exactly the right word) based pvp as long as griefing and abusing warps don't happen pvp could happen happily.

QuietSea, Nifix and Slebert like this.
  3. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

The only rule i've seen being broken is warping while they are being chased, haven't seen anything really complex.

4. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Yeah I don't know what you're talking about really,we already dimmed downed the pvp rules. Also, you're look at two different player basses. Chances are you were pvping against college kids summer 2011, most of our players now are high schoolers or younger.
    Remember that was when the server was developing. All of the new rules made were made because people had problems.
    We've made these rules to cross out gray areas, otherwise we'd have 5 finger pointing posts a day like back in the day.

Ksapple107 and ndvenckus1 like this.
  5. Slebert

I have marked all of the rules i see as unneeded.
    and have explained why i think so below.

• Non-lethal traps must have a way of escape. So that people don't get trapped and can't leave then when they warp someone makes a finger pointing to try and get them banned Not Needed
    • No extensive rushing
      • You can rush players just don't lock them in a protected house and do it ect Not Needed
    • No extensive spawn killing we don't want death spam, people would rage quit if they got killed every second, we don't want that
      • No killing them on there re-spawn point multiple times for no reason
    • Absolutely no /home, /warp, /town spawn or any other warping while engaged in PvP
      • After raiding a town you have to leave the town before warping
      • You should also check local if there is a chance someone is chasing you << Extremely stupid rule
    • Do not use any teleports for PvP with the exception of: Not Needed since huge map Stops PvP
      • Your town's spawn
      • Town spawns' of towns in the same nation as your's
      • Self deference after you warped somewhere (excluding enemy areas).
    • You must be a member of a pvp town to group raid a pvp town to encourage joining towns Also a dumb rule
      • You can still raid PvP towns alone
      • Peaceful town members can raid with PvP members of the same nation.
    • Harming/killing players in a non-pvp zone is not permitted. basic rule
    • Do NOT lock yourself inside towny blocks to hide from raiders. if we allowed this it would kill pvp Should be allowed
    • PVP towns must have PVP enabled on town grounds! (/town toggle pvp) basic rule
    • Do not run into a non-PvP zone after engaging in PvP. basic rule Thats just succefully running away... Dumb rule

The Non-Lethal traps:

If a Non-Lethal trap has an exit, it isnt a trap...
    the point is to trap them then go and kill them.
    if someone falls into a trap and then warps, they probably fell in when not being chased, if someone does so and is being chased then they cant warp, therefore i see no problem with this. you say people will point fingers. if people do that then you investigate and see who is in the wrong, if someone warped while being chased then you give them a warning or ban them. that is the job of an Admin/Mod, to enforce the rules and make sure that people are having fun. maybe what we need is some people that have the specific job of dealing with this posts, people who deal with these problems. since it seems that most of the admins don't want to. we may have had 5 finger pointing posts back in the day, but back then we had 3 Admins... we have so many now, it would be nothing to deal with...

Extensive rushing:
    This is just another Trap... how did they get into that situation in the first place... if a door is open that can only be open and closed by certain people, maybe you shouldn't go in... if you are to stupid to figure that out, you're going to figure it out the hard way... plus maybe this way we will eliminate some of the stupid players who just make playing not fun...

Check /ch l before warping out:
    Really... is this really a rule now... if you have gotten to the point that you don't even know if you are being chased and have to use chat to figure out if you are, then you have lost them to the point that you can leave.

No Teleports for PvP:
    With such a large map it takes so long to get to towns that are on the edge of the map, and extremely discourages PvP.
    if you are able to make a base/outpost closer to someones town then PvP will be more encouraged.

Must be in PvP Town to Raid in Group:
    Always hated this rule, and always will.
    Stops new PvP towns from forming, and having raid groups are fun without having to be part of a town where you cant have your own say in things.

Locking Yourself With Towny:
    Some people would rather let the town raid since they know they would get killed, this is a way of protecting yourself, if this stuff inst allowed then we should just get rid of the ability to lock stuff with towny... seeing as it has no purpose that i can see...

Running to Non-PvP:
    This is how one runs away properly. if you attack someone and can then get away to a Non-PvP area, you won... its that simple...

Anyways like i said Sure people will finger point and stuff, but that is what all these mods and admins are for. you are not an admin just so you can use some of the fancy Commands that make you look so cool to all these other people, you are there to do a job, you are there to make sure that people are punished for breaking rules. if someone complains that someone did something they didn't, you give them a warning and tell them to make sure they know the PvP rules. its your job. Dont complain about it. if you dont like the job then quit...

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  6. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

I take issue with your other justifications for abolishing the rules, but the one that stands out the most to me is the one where you have to be in a pvp town to raid in a group. What would be the point of joining a pvp town then? You could just live in peaceful and go on raids with your friends with no fear of being killed in your own base. Is that really fair to those living in pvp towns?

sharqman and thechooosen1 like this.
  7. Slebert

you can do that anyways... you can join a PvP town and not live there. that is what i am doing... therefore the rule is still pointless. there is no way of getting around the fact that you can PvP without having a house there.

8. Random0ne

True enough. I myself am guilty of that, and it something that should probably be addressed. However the rule still attracts pvpers to pvp towns, and this is what we want. Even though I don't live in the town, I still sometimes go to defend it when it's being raided. If you lived in peaceful and only raided as a group when you wanted to, you would have no obligation to fend off attacks on towns. Having people tied to a town makes it easier to find someone to pvp with. It gives a centralized location to target if you want to raid.

Flamestar00 and sharqman like this.
  9. Slebert

I do believe that the once great and Powerful Exile started as a bunch of people in a group that were not officially a town, as did Arcadia, also once great and powerful. it seems to me that some of the best towns were formed by town-less groups, some of which where homeless and simply wondered and raided. you dont have to be in a down to have a base, some people simply like to have their base with a few friends and go on raids. its what makes PvPing fun, and it makes it more unpredictable.

10. Random0ne

Then if a group of people wants to go on group raids, they can make a town. There's nothing stopping them. My point still stands that it's no fun to be raided by people that you can't retaliate against.

sharqman and thechooosen1 like this.
  11. kmpurplekat

kmpurplekat Active Member VIP

What if there's like only 2 or 3 of us (not saying I would ever go to pvp but I'm just wondering)?

12. Slebert

people dont always want to have a town, they are needy and costly

13. Slebert

once they raid and save up, then they can get a town, if they please.

14. Slebert

Well, according to the current rules its not allowed, but that is one of the things i am trying to get changed

15. Random0ne

If people don't want to have to pay for and manage a town, they can just join a pre-existing one :p It still provides the same purpose of drawing pvpers to a centralized area, and giving those raided a chance to retaliate.
    Yes, Slebert's right. Multiple people count as a group. However if you want to pvp, it's pretty easy to join a pvp town even if you don't live in it. For example, I know Jasp lets people into Sisu for the purpose of group raiding.

16. North_Korean

North_Korean Active Member VIP

I gotta agree with slebert on this one. Exile started off townless with a single trap for protection. And the no going into towny plots and locking your selfin should be kept slebert. The dumpy trumps are the exact reason for that. They would bait then lock you in there town plot and rush you with fists until you died even with full diamond.

17. Slebert

The how about a rule like
    No Exploiting Towny Locks for PvP
    Just nice and simple

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

18. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

If you walk a long distance to a town, you don't want to get stuck in a trap, with no one coming to get you, and have to warp out and walk all the way back (10-30 minutes). By all means make it take 2 minutes to exit the trap, it is very easily do this, and if you know what you're doing you can make it impossible for the person trapped to harm you whilst you can easily get them.
    Yeah because people totally won't find creative ways to abuse this... Calling someone stupid because there's an iron door with a pressure plate on both sides, but the inside plate activates a delayed t flip flop which pushes up a block making it impossible to get out. Yep, you must be extremely stupid not to see that...
    Yay infinite free locks! Also I can totally understand why you'd be encouraged to PvP if after travelling 20 minutes to a town everyone there just locks themselves inside their houses. /s
    This is a suggestion. "Should check local if there is a chance someone is chasing you." Not "must check local everytime." It's a safeguard. If you spend a second to check local before warping then no one can accuse you of warping from combat (assuming if someone can hear you, you wait a few seconds for a response). I know for me, I don't check behind myself for a while, so have no clue whether or not they're pursuing. So I'll type "/l ." to see if I'm still being followed.
    Also don't mind this one too much, although this combined with allowing teleports for PvP will leave no advantages to have a nation.
    So say 2 people were fighting outside PvP spawn, and then the one who is about to die retreats inside spawn protection. By your logic, the person who was almost killed clearly is the winner, and the person who stood their ground lost... right. Fights outside PvP spawn are the only ones I can imagine resulting in a retreat to Non-PvP zones. If you were fighting in a town and someone was still following you closely all the way back to spawn, it's pretty unfair on the person who was chasing you.

Kingofall2, sharqman and aarondang like this.
  19. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Too much reading ;-;

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  20. thechooosen1

thechooosen1 Active Member VIP

Lemme make a quick summary:
    I want these rules removed.
    We can't have them removed because of this reason.
    And this repeats over and over again an occasionally a admin comes in an clears everything up.

Well that's all I got from it anyway...