drop the mcmmo and let us have better mob grinders

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by sioutdoors, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

The only reason to have mcmmo is to make up for the lack of easy to get enchantments. i would like to see it get back to more vanilla - mcmmo.

PieSquared761, o0z and treyman77 like this.
  2. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

The main reason they are banned are because they cause lag, not sure how staff would address that.

3. treyman77

treyman77 Active Member

I would actually like to see things such as mob spawners finally being use for something. It's just too much of a hassle to create a mob spawner system that doesn't give you the advantage by not taking damage by mobs. I'm not saying we should allow super large mob grinder machines that lag the server to death. I just think maybe we should change the mob grinding rules in relation to mob spawners.

The reason is that unlike super huge artificial mob grinding machines; dungeon mob spawners don't output huge amounts of mobs at a time. However, if left to where the mob grinder is still outputting mobs while you do other things it may cause lag to the server. The way I think this can be fixed is that any mob spawner system that's not in use should be turned off, via glowstone lamps ect. Also I think that all used mob spawner grinding systems that people build. the cords should also be posted on a forums page or told to an admin, so they can have easy access to turn the spawners off if it causes too much lag.

4. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

I was unaware that literally the only purpose of mcmmo was to make up for enchantments. Not to give an indicator to how much time someone has spent on certain activities, making it a competition for some, and encouraging activity. When mcmmo was gone, many people wanted to get it back with every perk disabled, just for the skill monitoring.

As for mob grinders, I've never seen them as more than advantage for being lazy. Enchants are extremely easy to get, as are spider eyes, ender pearls, etc.

5. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

i say we keep Mcmmo, its a lot of fun training and leads to some competitions between players, skill challenges if you will. it reminds me of my old RS days. as far as adding mob grinders goes i say they should be legal within reason, by that i mean basically no giant freakin mob grinders that creates a booty ton of lag, so maybe we could have set dimensions on how big the mob grinder area could be, maybe bigger for grinders just using dark spots to spawn mobs and smaller for grinders using actual spawners. dunno, just my opinions, allowing mob grinders would also boost the activity in PvP being that people arnt worried about loosing their good stuff as they can just take a few minutes and get xp even faster than before.

6. sioutdoors

The only advantage mcmmo has over enchants is the "hey loom at me" factor. It is useless for PvP and as far as mining or tree felling a good enchant is way easier. And as for being lazy I spend 85% of my time building. I work 5 days a week and don't get to spend time with my wife or kids until the weekend. When in hell do I have time to either hunt down nether quartz or hang around at Moore's for 30 min for 30 xp. There is a reason no one wears good armor in PvP. Takes for ever to make a set and sword and or bow

7. PieSquared761

8. cemeterry

cemeterry Member

Would be nice to have mob grinders. I would spend more time in pop.

9. sioutdoors

I'm saying with the HSE of mobgrinderz to get easier xp mcmmo would not be needed. If we are forced to use mcmmo instead of grinders I would rather just have a grinder

10. treyman77

treyman77 Active Member

I would enjoy having both things allowed in the game, but I agree with you siout if we can't have both i choose mob grinders over mcmmo.

11. PieSquared761

Like Nifix said, we probably aren't forced to have McMMO instead of mob grinders, we just aren't allowed to have grinders at all because of the lag they cause. The items themselves and the exp would devalue many high value items as well, tweaking the economy quite a bit.

12. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

A360P mentioned something about the way mobs move changing in 1.7 that might reduce the lag that mob grinders cause, so we might allow them when 1.7 comes out? Also to be honest chickens are way better way for getting xp than small mob grinders. 30 levels in 2,5 mins with ~7 stacks of seeds. People are just lazy to build large automatic melon farms and clear area for having the chickens. I also think that you can get blaze spawners transported around in nether to create your own blaze arena, which is less than 8 mins for 30 levels.
    I think the problem with grinders/moving mobs away from spawners at least in sc 1.0 was that they will give you mcmmo xp once they are transported far enough from spawner. I think that even the small grinders will become extreamly laggy though, if people don't kill the mobs in it.

13. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

The problem most people will have with a chicken farm that big to allow you 30 levels in 2.5
    minutes is that it causes a BUTT TON lag for them, this is why I can't use one and whenever I go near someone else's I have to warp away because it physically stops me from being able to play.
    Also, I agree with what jasp said. I too heard that mobs were changing slightly in 1.7 so hopefully they'll cause less lag.
    I don't see why mcmmo and mob grinders can't be used at the same time, it seems like it wouldn't cause an issue; I know for a fact it would encourage me to pvp more often as I could enchant more books at a much quicker pace in order to get thigs like sharp V and prot IV. Another thing is bows, I feel that mob grinders using skele farms would yield a hell of a lot of bows with numerous enchantments that wouldn't take too much time to combine in to a descent bow. Getting bows and arrows from skele spawners would greatly encourage me to use them more in pvp, which is something I rarely do.

14. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I have not been reading much of this but there were plans to add them in 1.7 anyway, then see how lag goes.

Jasperli likes this.
  15. Jasperli

Jasperli Member VIP

oiShocKWavesv chicken farms are way more lag friendly than mob grinders. If you have problems with chicken farms then having a mob grinder would be twice worse. Feel free to test this in singleplayer. Total xp gain per mob is around the same (No Looting sword, counting first breed then kill), so if you stack all the mobs in a 1*2 hole you will most propably crash. If you build a large room for mobs it is the same as for chickens. So no win for you. Amount of chickens can be kept at ideal amount easily, mob grinders will be creating mobs nonstop and if someone happens to walk close to your mob grinder = 1000 mobs in small area = Impossible to kill = More mobs = Server lag.

16. treyman77

treyman77 Active Member

Lol once on my survival world I had a automatic chicken xp farm, but I had to abandon the world because at one point I had over 500 chickens and it caused a but-load of lag.

17. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

My point is, 700 chickens in a 15 x 15 area will lag me a hell of a lot more than when I have a mob drop down in front of me then kill it instantly. Letting 100 cluster up in a 1 x 2 area is just a stupid idea.

18. sioutdoors

0h yeah tell that to generikb on mindcrack his chicken xp grinder lagged the entire server

oiShocKWavesv and QuietSea like this.
  19. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

This is a good point, and here is my suggestion on the matter:

No need to get rid of mcmmo, it is a fun plugin that many of our players are used to and enjoy having. I don't quite get where you're coming from on that si. As for the grinders my suggestion is not allowing passive mob grinders, but allowing zombie, skele etc. the reason being is that these cause a butt load more lag than the natural spawn grinders/dungeon spawners due to you allowing the grinder to build up and then breeding them. Another reason is that you can make iron farms, so say goodbye to the economy. As jasp mentioned I had heard through the grapevine that there are going to be changes to mobs that will make natural spawn grinders less effective in the next update.

That's just a simplified version of my thoughts on the matter, since people always moan that I type too much. Just another point, I'm pretty against the idea of adding spawners back onto our server but the above would be the best way to go about bringing them in if you decide so.

20. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Here's what I do, I have 2 fences surrounding my village, I stand between them at night where all mobs come n they can hit me,just like I can hit them,it works for me cuzz I'm patient n not in a hurry to get xp like some ppl are.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.