Music Sharing/Interests

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by thodazarexrt, Oct 8, 2013.

?

Do you find this would be a good idea for a topic?

1. yes

83.3%
  2. no

16.7%
  1. Padaun

Padaun Well-Known Member VIP

A delayed response, but here's another guy nobody's going to be like in a week... (Not sure as to whether you were being sarcastic [I know not that but something like it] in your post, but I sure am not, here)

2. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

No sarcasm, I love Wes Montgomery. He's my favourite jazz guitarist but he both inspires me to learn the instrument and to give up at the same time. Well I guess quitting is more down to the fact that I don't have the dedication to practice 10 hours a day and I am cursed with useless knuckles that lock up whenever I put in too many hours.

3. StephenP67

Frustrating thing about music is it's only once every five years or so that someone gets an original idea. The rest of the time everyone else just endlessly rips it off, mimics, recycles until it's lost any impact.

4. Ksapple107

Ksapple107 Active Member Creative Architect

StephenP67, you really need to listen to more jazz haha. That's where all the original stuff is. *nothing against other styles of music*

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

5. StephenP67

Already there KS. I have a large collection of jazz and fusion. Favourites are John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Chet Baker. Even in jazz though there is the same cycle of occasional innovation followed by years of imitation. Or you get someone like Coltrane who continuously pushed his own limits until you get something like this.

6. Ksapple107

Awesome! I listen to a lot of the same stuff. Plus Paul Desmond, David Brubeck, Phil Woods, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, and more...

Then there's the modern jazzers like Phil Dwyer, Clayton brothers, Dan Balmer, Anat Cohen, Cyrille Aimee, Christine Jensen, Larry Miller, Gerald Clayton, Dawn Clement and others.

7. StephenP67

Apart from Phil Woods I have stuff by all those guys. Dizzy Gillespie was pretty crazy though. I like his tunes but have you ever tried playing one of his? Insanely difficult.

Cool looks like I have some homework. Don't really know any of those.

Edit:
    Are you familiar with the self titled album from Terje Rypdal, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette? Probably my favourite in the fusion vein.

Edit 2:
    Allow me to correct my brief oversight in not mentioning Bill Evans with the opening track to his Moonbeams album.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

9. Mae

Mae Member

10. Ksapple107

I have played a few tunes by him (night in tunisia, billies bounce, etc.), StephenP67 :D unfortunately, I can't watch those videos cause they "[arent] available in [my] country" :l but no, I havent heard of those people, I'll check them out :D. What do you play, Stephen? I play alto sax

11. StephenP67

I don't really play anything. I have tried various instruments along the way but never really stuck to them beyond learning the basics. At various times in vaguely chronological order I have played (well, played in the loosest sense of the word- owned is probably a better description) piano, keyboards, guitar, bass, clarinet, double bass, tenor sax, cornet. I love music but have kind of resigned myself to the fact I will probably never create it myself.

If you're not familiar with Bill Evans you may have heard him already if you like Miles Davis. I believe he played on the Miles Davis album Kind of Blue.

12. Ksapple107

Oh, no I was talking about the fusion guys. I have definitely heard of bill evans :D. Thats too bad that you havent learned an instrument. Have u taken lessons? This should probably be a PM lol

13. StephenP67

You may have heard them in other contexts. DeJohnette has had an incredible career track (if you check his discography on wikipedia) and played on a few Miles Davis albums, most notably probably Bitches Brew. Miroslav Vitous among other projects played in Weather Report (and I believe was leader for a few of their albums). Rypdal was probably more active in Europe but has a pretty staggering catalogue.

I can't say I love all their music but on that particular album I was blown away by the originality of the sound scapes.

Ksapple107 likes this.
  14. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Found this while watching some MumboJumbo :D

15. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

doood that's my ringtone

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

16. Dynodamon

So good.

17. Dynodamon

18. StephenP67

Hmmm, how about some bass? I love me a good bass line and here are some of my favourites.

Bootsy Collins - Pfunk mainstay Bootsy has a style all his own.

Frank Blair - Bass player on Marvin Gaye's In Our Lifetime album. Although he went behind Marvin's back to remix the album and rush it's release I have to say this is one of my favourite bass lines.

Paul Chambers - Featured here with the Red Garland Trio he played bass on a huge number of jazz albums through the fifties and sixties and is one of my favourite jazz bassists.

Les Claypool - It would hardly be fair to leave out Primus' Les Claypool 'cause he just is.

19. Mae

Mae Member