Since my appeal was locked so quickly

Discussion in 'Requests and Reports' started by North_Korean, Feb 18, 2014.

1. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

I almost want to take a different approch to this, and put it in real-world context.

lets say we are all citizens of Country A, and a large group of us go over to Country B, and blow up a bunch of empty buildings. No one gets hurt, but it will take time to repair. The people of Country B find out that it was the group from Country A, citizens of B may form a negative opinion while the leaders will more than likely contact the leaders of A and try to have the perpetrators puniment.
    Now, lets say it was a bunch of government officals that blew up the buildings. What would happen than?

So, its very different from a virtual world, yet in a sense its the same. Minecraft is one gigantic community (world) with so many servers (countries). I don't think that the punishments were fair, however something atleast needed to happen IMO

2. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

... Because blowing up buildings in real life is illegal. If there are laws being broken, we ban the offender, I said that earlier.
    Also, have you ever tried spontaneously disconnecting from a country to find a new one? Can you exist in 18 countries at the same time? Can server owners lock players into their server indefinitely? Mine Craft and life are less related than you account for.

That said, lets do a real world examle:
    Fred works for McDonalds. One day he goes into Burger King and causes a bit of a scene, so they kick him out. Jimmy works at Burger King, and was annoyed with Fred. Jimmy starts harassing McDonalds.
    Does the manager at McDonalds...
    a) Fire Fred for Jimmy's disruptive behavior?
    or
    b) Kick Jimmy out of the restaurant?

3. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Guys, let's move this conversation somewhere else. This is a ban appeal, remember?

4. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

It really isn't anymore

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

5. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Which is why this conversation should be moved.

6. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

O sorry i thought this was in the suggestion board

7. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

you misunderstood the point, if someone does something illegal in another part of the world, then goes back to their home country, the government of the country they commited the crime in will attempt to have the government of the person's home country punish them, or extradite them. and as for switching countries super fast, look at europe, they have a unified passport for the EU, and as far as i know very little border security.

8. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

But still a virtual world is not anyway related to the real world. Connecting minecraft communities to complicated government systems is not a very good example.

epic_poke8 likes this.
  9. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

In response to the McDonalds questions.

He kicks Jimmy out, then goes to Fred asking why Jimmy deemed it necessary to come to his restaurant and trash around. Because Jimmy came to the restaurant because of Fred's actions, there is absolutely no debate that the whole event was due to Fred's actions, and that while Jimmy was acting out of his own free will, he was still provoked.

Anyways, I'm just going to stop now. This whole thing started as North explaining himself, and then turned into us trying to make a set of rules for when you peoples go out and it comes back to bite the server in someway/shape/or form; then it turned into a debate because apparently these rules aren't needed.

10. ezeiger92

I may have not been clear. Griefing and hacking are against the rules established by the server, but they are not illegal.
    A player cannot be detained/arrested/forced to stay in a server. He/she can disconnect at any time.
    I can open 18 clients at the same time, and be on 18 separate servers. You can't exist in 18 countries at the same time.
    These two situations aren't comparable.

11. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

This thread is a whole bunch of bullshit and nonsense. Most people are arguing with each other over the same message.

In regards to the whole ban debacle, the real problem wasn't that people griefed on another server, it was the response that ensued. Two people (sharq/quiet) took power into their own hands without consulting anyone else. This was a tipping point in a long line of staff issues that have been plaguing the server. Regular users may not notice it, but there is a lot of bullshit that goes behind the scenes that never should happen in the first place.

The real problem right now is a lack of real leadership and a large mistrust among staff members. There around 2-3 different staff groups who all see things in a different perspective. Sharq seemed to inherit the staff leader role, but half the staff don't even trust him to do anything. I know he is capable, but until we start trusting each other, or develop a new leadership system, nothing is going to change. Nothing. I think even if someone else wanted to take charge, they couldn't, because our owner (and I respect Max a great deal) is the only way to get things done, and he's pretty much awol.

/endrant for now

EDIT: Also, this isn't real life. This a minecraft server ran by volunteers. Are you guys serious right now!?

12. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Good lord.. what the hell is going on with this place?

I'll be honest, I didn't read most of the posts in this thread because I'm willing to bet they are all pointless
    (likewise I except most people to do the same to my dumbass post as well). Erik made a good post and Trukk made some damn good points on the first page, so I just stpeed reading there. However, I think I might bring up a decent point that no one else has bothered to mention.

I feel like most of the "problems" listed in this thread are really just symptoms of a much simpler problem; Who the fuck is in charge of this server?

For the longest time, Max was in charge. If he didn't want to deal with something, he would assign the task to someone else to take care of it. Simple, straight forward, little to no drama.

Now, apparently, Sharq is in charge? Kind of. It's just not clear. And quietsea is his go to when consulting stuff? I Guess? Again, it's pretty ambiguous. It's not an issue for the every day affairs, but as soon as a decision needs to be made, shit just falls apart. In the case of the topic at had, two staff acted without consulting any of the other 100 staff we have, and suprise suprise, things didn't go well!

What is hilarious to me is that no one here actually has the power to change shit about staff unless sharq agrees. This conversation will likely carry of for a few more days, no decisions will be made, sharq may or may not make is one line comment that shuts down everyone's ideas all at once (that or just ignore it completely), then we move on to the same old same old of playing minecraft.

This server is never going to die for the simple fact that is has good hardware. All staff can act like children, the plugins can be dumb as hell, but as long as there is no lag people will still play. I don't think anyone needs to worry about drama killing the server, but you can have concern for shadecrest becoming one of those terrible generic servers that is a headache to play on.

In short, my idea: Someone needs to be in charge or things go nowhere. The person in charge should also have enough sense to not act rashly. If a single person isn't in charge, then it should be a clear group of people with equal say (odd number to break stalemate?). A chain of command simply doesn't exist here and results in the clusterfuck that we now see.

Any who, I'll leave you all to discuss the issues of legalities, ethics, national border security, and their relevance to a minecraft server. I'ma go play some more FTB.

13. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

We can talk about bullshit all day. I was demoted because someone went to awastedlife said I was joking around in teamspeak / server chat with a few other people. He went to max about it just like sharqman went to max about this whole thing with going to another server (weird, right?). All you people care about is ethics and what's fair. What we SHOULD be caring about is actually putting time into something like fixing voting or getting plugins that don't lead to broken ass bugs where people make money and get banned for it(*cough* mob arena *cough*). But that all comes down to what Millla said about nothing probably going to get done because all you people do is bicker back and forth. And we all know putting 5 people with console will never work because no one can ever come to decent agreement to get things done. Last thing I saw good come out of this place was when I asked for PvP heads to get added LOL. And I'm sure we can all go on and on about what's wrong with the server.

L8r h8rs I'm out smell ya latuh alligatuhs no copy pastarino adminerino

Sincerely,
    QuietSea
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  14. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

And thus, we once again witness the primal devolution into the childish acts known as "name calling" and "stubborn idiocy". These conditions are believed to arise when a member of the species homo sapiens believes that their cause is the correct one and refuses to consider others' perspectives. A curious point to note is that neither side appears to recognize these repugnant behaviors in their own actions. I have observed that this kind of conduct, colloquially known as "Trolling", has no positive effect whatsoever on the subject matter at hand. I conclude that if the culprits of said actions were to desist, this thread may actually reclaim its purpose. Thank you, and have a nice day :)

15. ezeiger92

16. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Like quiet said earlier I didn't just make the decision on my own, I talked to max first. And all quiet (and a couple other's I won't mention so you guys don't go and attack them) did was help me get the evidence of what happened on cano's server and let me know about what happened.

Also, this entire thread is offtopic. North was inquiring about why the mob arena abusers had shorter ban than the ones that abused cano's server.
    Simply, although you think you were sincere you were defensive from the start and not apologetic in the least because you thought you did nothing wrong.

If you have the need to go on other severs and act maliciously I'm pretty sure that makes you a virtual psychopath, especially when there are servers that allow you to act maliciously and there is always single player and other games.

You are right, you can do whatever you want on other servers, but if it is malicious and we find out we don't want those type of people here. - paraphrase of what max told me say if you guys complain.

17. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Not exactly.

Watch this for some insight:

Excessive trolls *might* technically be sadistic psychopaths, especially if they have zero empathy for their trolling or the hurt feelings of others (which is the definition of psychopath). Someone who trolls occasionally in limited ways in some situations is inherently not a psychopath because they know that it's wrong. Not every person who commits a crime is doing it because they cannot feel empathy. Only if they do it constantly with no remorse or empathy would they be considered psychopathic.

In the case of someone who might do something malicious in one server or one environment, it just means that on occasion he is a rule breaker. Why do some people team kill in first person shooters? Sometimes they just wanna be a dick. A person who commits a crime is not always going to commit crime.

Padaun and Magetime like this.
  18. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

I feel that I have inflamed this a bit...
    You guys don't really know me, outside of the limited interactions we have had here on the server. I have never been banned, kicked, or for that matter, have never used profanity on the server since I joined in 2012. Even when I had the opportunity to do something stupid or childish, I have avoided it or found some other way to redirect that urge. The reason being...? I enjoy access to the server! It (the server) is always available (for the most part) when I feel the need to play. I don't really care who is in charge, as long as it keeps running smoothly while I am trying to access it. Yes, the system is not perfect... but regardless of that, the system continues to run. If it wasn't here, none of us would be discussing anything, even the bad stuff. The server is an outlet for all of us in some way, and even though it sees turmoil from time to time, it always seems to balance back out. Honestly, who cares which admin is in charge of any given thing? The server has steadily adapted to the changing climate of the game in general, and continues to be at the forefront of any relevant updates. Whether Sharqman is doing that, or Quiqui, or Dyno... who cares? I can't do that myself, so if one of these dudes takes on that responsibility, let them go for it! :D The server rules may be a bit quixotic at times, but they still serve to regulate behavior while playing so that the server doesn't die like so many other nameless projects. Yes, I personally would enjoy stronger leadership from the server owner, but in reality, the server runs very well without Imaxorz being directly involved anyway. So who cares? Imaxorz pays for, monitors, and maintains the server, even though he doesn't have to, and possibly even at a personal financial cost to himself. So all we need to do is try to make the server as inviting, functional, and fun as possible so we can guide future donations towards the silent and invisible director who allows us this rare gift in the first place. I know, that sounds a bit Orwellian, but we are all strangers confiding in each other to further this endeavor, so lets make it work!
    1) Don't be a d-bag while representing the server.
    2) Don't grief/steal/harass
    *open to further ideas*

anyways, enough ranting for me :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  19. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

imaxorz is our silent benefactor, so enjoy the magic while it lasts :3

20. Flamestar00

Flamestar00 Active Member VIP

Guys can we all calm down a bit? What happened to being nice to each other?????????

epic_poke8 and trukklob like this.