Shadecrest interstate

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by warlord2150, Aug 3, 2011.

1. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Why isn't there an set of roads between all the cities? I think connecting all the towns via road would make newbie orientation easier, as well as general transportation more sensible. Maintain town warps for existing residents, but otherwise you'd have to run <gasp> from town to town. Maybe the only exception could be the warp to spawn and the mall still be global. It'd also create more demand for long distance travel alternatives such as high speed rail lines.

Just thinking out loud while I'm sitting here at work being <highly> productive. :D

2. pyro5050

pyro5050 Active Member VIP

there is a canal the runs from the old coliseum spot to dragon forge, this canal will be spread to other pvp cities soon...

boats need to be fixed in order for it to be fully productive... we went with a canal to prevent people colliding on the rail system...

3. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

That can be alleviated by simply having a pair of rails, one going in each direction. However, I love the idea of transit canals. Could make for some interesting naval pvp if on the right side of the map as well.

Another (debatable) benefit of a road system would be the constant danger of highwaymen/bandits, as well a mobs. I think itd add to the realism and grittiness of a hardcore smp server.

As a side thought, it could be a feature towns could purchase if there were some kind of template for a road to be copy/pasted from one x/y/z coordinate to another, thereby from one town to the next.

4. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Why not use region protections? If the roads are all in relatively simple shapes (straight lines w/ very few turns/curves), large rectangular regions would be relatively simple to create. Beyond that is just a matter of the construction.

5. pyro5050

pyro5050 Active Member VIP

i do like the suggestion warlord, but the sheer size of shadecrest and the size of those highways... well that will take forever to protect... i am sure we can figure something out... i currently rely on people that know me in team speak to report damage of the canal system, and ban those that damage it... after i am done my production of my new area and newbie corp, i am planning on expanding the canal system and moving it around the server essentially in hopes that one day they will fix the boat issues...

when the canal is done there are plans to add a rail system under and above it as well... the rail system was put aside to start as the amount of iron needed would exceed current stocks, and i like to use minerals i mined myself to build my projects, even though i am a mod, i dont really like asking for spawned items as it feels... cheap to me...

but when working on the spawn, i will gladly accept spawned items max... just so you know... :)

6. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Well, since the idea is open to positiveness, what about commissioning a group of people to begin construction of it for repayment in rupies? Stimulate the economy a bit more, add infrastructure, good juju.

7. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

btw warlord I like the house you are building out there

the canal is going to end up right near where your house is you can see the first line on live map

8. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Thankee :) Its planned to be a bit more than a house, but the compliments are appreciated.

9. Yardweasel09

Yardweasel09 Member VIP

I love the idea of a railway! I think we should get rid of the warps and portals maybe turn the portal building at spawn into a train station or something. and this would be a massive project so hiring people would be a good idea. As far as the location of the actual rails, they should hit the large towns only that way we don't have to many tracks everywhere only several "main" rail lines. But i'm 100% for this unless someone finds problems with it.

10. macbad123

macbad123 New Member

I completly agree and if a small town wants it to go to their town they have to build it themselves but under Yard supervision of course

11. Yardweasel09

Yardweasel09 Member VIP

Or we could say that a town needs at least 30 people in order to have a railway. That way if little towns want one they will have to recruit more people.

12. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Heck, I'd say if it is going to be based on the town, make the towns pay for it. If the warps become severely limited, alternate transit methods will become increasingly lucrative. Noone is going to run from my fortress deep in PvP territory alllllll the way to spawn. I'd certainly want something faster and safer to get to and from other cities.

Also, this would make the individual cities have bigger markets and more active town centers. Make the world feel a little more populated and allow those of us in non-carebear lands have an easier time defending whats ours.

13. Hihihihi9100

Hihihihi9100 Member VIP

I agree and yet disagree, If we get rid of /warp Some people would run into a problem. I for one have a warp set up at my home that is far out on the peaceful side hidden, If We got rid of warps I would have no way to access my home without walking a long way.

14. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

I would love for this to happen, although I would be sad if I lost the /home I think it would be better for the server to not have any personal warps, I understand some people it's the only way to get to there home, but too many are abusing it for there own means

15. iiDreamzzHD

iiDreamzzHD Active Member VIP

That is a lot tone of railroad, even with worldedit... But if max and blat are willing to do it, I'm down! I think it would be very cool to hop onto a railroad and travel everywhere instead of using portals and warps, sure it would take longer, but it would bring a little old fashioned feel to the server, which I think would be great.
    Thanks for your time
    -Violation Nation Mayor-
    -iiDreamzzHD-

16. bockbeard

bockbeard New Member VIP

When i joined the server i was kind of surprised there wasnt rails connecting the cities. So i am also in favor for this. We dont have to remove /spawn at once. Build the rails first and see how they work.

About collisions thats easily fixed with two rails as mentioned. Using a powered rail and a detector-rail in front of it. Then you cant go the wrong way.

17. cerburus

cerburus Member VIP Creative Architect

I would be interested in building an interstate/railway/subway system. Not sure if its suppose to conform to the terrain, remain flat, or be elevated.

18. Kangus07

Kangus07 Member VIP

There's always the Jungalist Canal. :>

19. warlord2150

warlord2150 Member

Personally, I like to see rails/roads following the terrain, rather than tunnelling through it/levelling it. Make it look more lifelike and less ugly.

20. bluenigma

bluenigma New Member

I need a new project, and was thinking of starting to build sky-rails. What would be good landmarks to connect up? I'm probably starting at my home, a bit north of Mineco.