Fun with Math

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Z_Millla, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Oh sorry I wasn't clear enough. The fly has a broken wing and it therefore cannot fly. It can only walk on the walls, floor, and ceiling. I just copy the problems word for word from what I was given.

If the fly walked straight to the food, he would need to walk down 11 feet, over 30 feet, then up 1 foot. That is 42 feet, 2 feet over the limit.

Stay up all night and do math. :)

2. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

fack

Z_Millla likes this.
  3. oiShocKWavesv

I know. how about the fly throws his b*tch ass off the facking wall and walks 30 feet along the floor and 1 foot up to the food it's got an exoskeleton right.

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  4. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

Ba, got to it just before me.

Anyway, how about this for the gauss problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  5. oiShocKWavesv

wait.. that was right...?

6. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

NOTE: I am bad at math, and did not read ANY answers.
    Handshakes.
    How many hands did the Mister shake?
    MisterA=X1
    MissusA=Y1
    Other couples=X2, Y2, X3, Y3, X4, and Y4.
    X1 Shook X2, Y2, X3, Y3, X4, and Y4's hands.
    He shook 6 people's hands.

Gauss'
    Too lazy. I think it's 5050 or something. I did this over and over on a calculator during school after I finished my tests, meaning this is just through memory.

Fly Room (I give up. Here's a half-assed answer.)
    The fly moves up one foot to the ceiling. It moves 30 feet across ceiling. It drops from ceiling and prays that it has good enough timing to latch onto the wall right above the food. 31 feet out of 40 feet. It has 9 feet's worth of energy to time it right.

7. Z_Millla

The fly isn't dumb enough to throw himself off the wall and risk damaging his other wing. You people are mad. Seriously though, no trick answers.

Yeah shock, I told you it was a simple problem. There are a lot of ways to do it, don't overthink it. Not quite sure what you mean with your solution water power. My method for the gauss is posted earlier in the thread.

epic_poke8 Your answer for the handshake problem is incorrect. Shock posted the correct answer, and I posted an image to explain the answer a bit more if your curious. Gauss problem is correct, but the whole point is to NOT use a calculator.

Oh, it would help to label spoilers with which problem you are doing. Added for everything before this post.

8. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

9. trukklob

the real question is... what brand of soap did the original couple use so as to avoid germ transmission...? <3

Z_Millla likes this.
  10. trukklob

the fly was dead after the first strike.

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  11. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

The fly problem... slightly misleading

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  12. epic_poke8

As I said, I read nothing.

13. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Why do they care how much hands they shook / others shook?
    Counting to big numbers over a hundred is boring.
    The fly can't think to itself "Hmm, I can walk 40 feet, and no more.". Also, He's a fly. Why the fuck wouldn't he use something like Millimetres to measure? He's only a cm small. Also, Imperial system sucks.
    And all I know about Pythagoras' Theorem is it's something about triangles, that I don't know how to explain with words.

14. epic_poke8

A^2+B^2=C^2
    A=Leg #1 of a right triangle. B=Leg #2 of a right triangle. C= The hypotenuse of a right triangle.

15. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

16. epic_poke8

God, this is why I hate math. Even with useless questions, I can't get it right.

17. Nelvs

Nelvs New Member

Isn't Gauss' problem just the sum of arithmetic series?

18. hywzerboydy

hywzerboydy Active Member VIP

I had a math exam today, I am not in the mood for this, it feels like everything I think about =5x+√TT

19. Nelvs

Nelvs New Member

For the fly problem

20. Z_Millla

In regards to gauss' problem, pretty much, Nelvs. There are a ton more problems that are solved in the exact same way as that one.

Good job on the fly problem guys! It looks like water and nelvs both got that one. As always, here is my own solution (more or less the same image as nelvs):

Adding two more simple problems right now. I have at least one more good problem after this, but not sure beyond that. I have a bunch more, but I haven't solved all of them and some quite literally have no solution.

Edit - Added! I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother has seen the river crossing problem, but just in case someone has never seen it I posted it anyway.

Nelvs likes this.