VIP Perks and Mojang's EULA

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by imaxorz, Jul 29, 2014.

1. imaxorz

imaxorz Well-Known Member Site Admin

Most of you are probably familiar Mojang starting to enforce their EULA for Minecraft and how servers can make money. If you are not familiar with what's going on you can read about it here, and then here.

Basically we cannot sell anything for hard currency that changes game features or gives you an advantage.

This is not a big deal to our server because we really don't get many perk purchases anyway, and the server doesn't cost a lot to run since we have our own hardware and don't rent it. However it doesn't mean I still want to pay most of the bill every month, so instead we will just let players donate for something like a VIP tag in chat and nothing else. Basically if you like playing on the server and want to support it you will have an option of doing it. Hopefully down the road we will think of other things too that everyone likes and that comply with Mojang's EULA.

Now the bad news...

We are going to have to strip away VIPs of any perks they have that are game changing in order for the server to be compliant. We'll it's either that, or give everyone perks that highest level of VIP has, which I don't think is a good idea, but we can discuss that here.

If you bought something from our VIP shop within last 30 days, send me a PM on the forum and I will refund it. However I encourage you to just leave it and think of it as a way you supported the server.

EDIT by Cyber: Corrected a small typo
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Have you guys discussed what perks are going to be kept, if any?
  3. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

D: I thought we were going to have each perk temporarily accessible for soft currency, and you can get it after again.
    I'm in favour of everybody getting perks if we don't do that.
  4. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member Site Admin Survival Admin VIP

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/
    I said it might be a possibility and would require further review of the EULA. The followup QA does talk about allowing things previously purchased being allowed as long as players could get it with soft currency. Personally I don't see why there should be a distinction between previously purchased and ongoing purchases, I would like to find the official EULA and review it to clarify the wording. There's a lot of grey area in the wording of Mojang's EULAs which is why there's a lot of Q/A Twitter clarification nonsense.

Unfortunately due to it being a grey area, Max's opinion is that we have less liability if we just do away with VIP perks that are non-cosmetic all together. As both an old school VIP 5 donator and admin, I personally would prefer to support as much as we can within the EULA as I previously stated, but ultimately how the financial / legal sides of ShadeCrest is handled is ultimately in Max's hands since he owns the hardware, intellectual property, etc.

At the very least I don't see why it's not hard to support VIP 5 warps since it takes no effort to keep that in compliance with the EULA since you can buy warps with rupies already.
  5. Navarog

Navarog Active Member Creative Admin

All of Creative shouldn't have WorldEdit, we're a building server and guest plots are too tiny for that anyway. Also /dis for everyone would mean a world of enderdragons.
    CanOpenerCloser likes this.
  6. CyberVic

Creative VIP things could easily just be translated into if you are of a particular builder rank you have access to those things (example wold edit for Architect). Then you can say it's obtainable via a non-currency spending method, that would keep us in compliance.
    DeeeezNutz likes this.
  7. GingerSwan

Good point on W/E, but /dis is entirely cosmetic.
    oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  8. Navarog

Navarog Active Member Creative Admin

And occasionally loud as hell ;)
  9. CyberVic

We could make it so that you could use vote points to buy a disguise?
    Could we restrict the kind of things you could disguise yourself as?
    Navarog likes this.
  10. GingerSwan

If we're gonna do that, we may as well do that with every VIP perk. Which is a good idea :)
  11. CyberVic

I'm STILL trying to find the goddamn official legal text. Mojang makes it really hard to find this kind of crap.
  12. CyberVic

Ginger, did you read anything I said above?

Here's the short summary of it. Yes it's just a game, it's just a Minecrat server, but this is one of those situations that "Just" isn't enough. It's a legal issue and ultimately the buck stops with Max. The most I or anyone can do is make suggestions on how we could stay in compliance, but ultimately buck stops with him.
  13. CyberVic

Ok I found this on thier help:
    https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1590522-minecraft-commercial-use-guidelines

Basically guys even though we're supposed to be in compliance with this on Friday, the official EULA has still not been updated. I would suggest we continue this discussion but until the official EULA has been updated and we can review the official Legal text, this discussion is at best speculative. For all we know all the stuff they've said in the Q & A and other semi-official announcements might not even end up or some other flavor of it could end up in the EULA. Right now the EULA is still the same EULA from back in December 2013.
  14. imaxorz

imaxorz Well-Known Member Site Admin

Warps can stay, that's not an issue. Issue is with everything that no one was able to get before.

Their EULA has not been updated so it's really simple, but it's always been the case of "you can't make money with Minecraft" they just looked the other way for a long time until it started being abused a lot.

I've kept a very close eye on the whole thing as our customers for my hosting company had a lot of questions and concerns.
  15. StephenP67

StephenP67 Active Member Survival Moderator VIP

How about portable crafting for everyone?
  16. GingerSwan

Yeah, that one's good. Maybe also Death Chests?
  17. StephenP67

StephenP67 Active Member Survival Moderator VIP

The amount of times I die I will definitely be missing death chests :(
  18. GingerSwan

19. CyberVic

As a VIP and I think most VIPs on Survival would be very sad if we lost Craftbook.
    After a discussion with a couple of people in Teamspeak, they would also miss that portable crafting, though I rarely use it.
    oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  20. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

I use craftbook quite alot...It's a handy tool to have, death chest is questionable tho, I rarely die but when I do it comes in handy...I don't see why we can't give death chest to everyone,would make ppl happy