Vanilla: Shall we try that again?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Keldt, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Keldt

Keldt Member

xD Fair point I guess. I was just trying to come up with things we could do if we got bored.

The amplified terrain also ended up making for much more interesting bases, which was pretty fun. Though it was hard to navigate it didn't seem to deter new members much (especially those that had seen Z's base).

For custom stuff-
    We wouldn't have to mess with the spawn rates of different resources; there are plenty more customization options than that. I'm talking about changing the shape of the land, not the contents. I thought it could be an interesting thing to mess with

And, just to be sure, you do know I'm talking about custom terrain generation, right?
    Like, this stuff here, shown in action here,
    not making the whole map from scratch by ourselves.. That would be insane o_o

2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Doesn't adding mods/pluggins to a vanilla server make it not-vanilla?

I_am_dropbear likes this.
  3. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Yeah, but we need to prevent griefing and stealing.

4. I_am_dropbear

I_am_dropbear Active Member

I reckon we could just whitelist it and only add trusted people from creative, survival, or ftb. the people that wouldn't steal. maybe a requirement for being whitelisted would be that you have to be active and been on another server for at least a month? idk. i just agree with lege on this

5. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

This wouldn't help our community grow, and would simply shut out new players. If we did this the server would die pretty quickly since it just becomes another gimmick server, which never last long. We are trying to make another server that is part of our community; we are trying to make something comparable to Survival or Creative.

Keldt likes this.
  6. I_am_dropbear

I_am_dropbear Active Member

it's very difficult to make a vanilla server stay vanilla and yet not be a wreck

7. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Prime example of this, the first vanilla server was purely for people who already played on SC, think that died in the first week or so.

I_am_dropbear likes this.
  8. Legend9468

idk man, faction servers use this system and they seem pretty popular.

9. Keldt

Keldt Member

Yeah, well, I wish our last attempt at vanilla had worked out like this, but people didn't treat vanilla like a faction server, and when they all got stolen from they all quit. I wouldn't be suggesting plugins if I didn't feel like they were absolutely necessary. ShadeCrest has tried a few times now to get vanilla right. I think the extra help of plugins that don't change gameplay an unnecessary amount but solve our main issues could be just what the server needs. I don't think we should try vanilla again without plugins, because that obviously failed horribly last time.

I know it's not technically fully vanilla when plugins are used, but the only gameplay changes the suggested plugins would bring are:

-The ability to lock chests with passwords so people don't steal from you- we could then add the rule that all unlocked chests are fair game, so that people who actually want to steal can do so without penalty. This is the biggest gameplay change, and it's a lock mechanic.. :L

-The ability to tell admins if you have a problem when there are no admins on. This one's confined to chat commands

-The ability to use Prism to figure out who griefed something and ban them quickly. This would be admins-only

I like to think of it as Protected Vanilla.

[Your signature is extremely distracting. xD I used the zoom function to zoom in so far that I could only see the comment box so that I wouldn't be glancing up at Random Shouting Dude every two seconds and losing my train of thought :p]

maymoe87 and I_am_dropbear like this.
  10. Navarog

Navarog Well-Known Member

I never opened their base because everyone quit before I could, but Alpha_Liam was the one who stole from everyone, and I believe he played on Survival before. So even if we only whitelist Shadecrest players, we could still have problems with stealing/griefing.

Keldt likes this.
  11. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Yeah, but this server prides itself on its community, something NONE of those servers can boast.

Keldt likes this.
  12. Legend9468

(I've played on faction servers with a strong community. So there goes that argument)

I can agree with the chat pluggin and prism, but I would still say no to the chest locks. Anything that adds game mechanics would detract from the true vanilla setting.

There's always the option of hiding your important chests anyway, or wandering 2k blocks from spawn to lessen the chance of anyone finding your base. I mean, no one's going to find a chest hidden 3000 blocks away under a stair/piston under carpet.

13. Keldt

Keldt Member

Right, that's a viable option. The thing we're trying to think about, though, is what happened to our previous vanilla servers. Stealing has been a problem in the past, and is the reason for the last vanilla servers failure, so it's definitely something we need to "fix." On top of that, we're trying to consider what is worth leaving out to uphold "vanilla" standards, and what's worth muddying up "true vanilla" in order to maintain a calm and sustainable server. You're talking about forcing anyone who doesn't want to be stolen from to find some way to hide all of their valuable storage somewhere.

In our last attempt at Vanilla, most people decided to group up with friends and form giant bases together. Pretty much every base had a storage room, and very few groups hid their chests for two reasons. The first was their trusting in the good faith of people to uphold the rules and not take anything from their chests. "No stealing" was a rule. The second was that in most cases, finding some place to hide all that storage space was absolutely ridiculous. These storage areas were anywhere from 36 square blocks to probably 80+ square blocks in Millla's case, and anywhere from 3 to 12 blocks in height. Hiding all that behind one small piston door, and then remembering to close that door every time you left your storage rooms is, in my opinion, too much to ask for every single person on the server who doesn't want to get stolen from. I know that at some points I went in and out of my group's storage space at least 20 times in 10 minutes.

Aside from being inconvenient, it'd feel really weird to have everyone on the server hiding from thieves despite a "no stealing" rule. It's sort of like saying "We know that rule can't really be enforced and is a huge problem so we're scared and we're hiding all our crap from thieves we know exist but can't catch."

We're not going to remove the rule, either. Stealing was the reason the latest attempt at vanilla died.

Yeah, we're trying to keep it as vanilla as possible, but we really don't want to put everyone through all the madness described above. I haven't gotten any other complaints about the lock plugin, so it seems like a majority of people are fine with it. I'd rather have the plugin which allows most people to happily avoid thieves without hassle, which those who don't like it don't have to use, than have a bunch of people complaining and threatening to leave the server because their chests that they were supposed to hide but didn't got stolen from. I know I kind of sound like Ezeiger saying "you don't have to use the non-vanilla plugins" there, but it's a bit different when it's something so small and personal as a chest-locking mechanic. It's not like it'll affect you at all if you don't use it. You shouldn't be stealing from chests anyways, so while you have yours safely tucked away but unlocked, others will have theirs locked and you won't ever need to access them anyways because of the "no stealing" rule. Of course we'd leave community-accessible chests unlocked, so you wouldn't run into the plugin there either. The only time you should run into the plugin is if you're stealing from someone or using it yourself, and you shouldn't be stealing.

maymoe87 and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  14. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

One thing that happened is ppl explored in the over world which then lagged the crap out of everything,we did the nether instead which didn't lag everything, so if you're planning on bringing back vanilla...consider what I said...

15. Legend9468

(Do away with the overworld and force everyone to live in the nether 2k14) (#ReduceTheLag)

Rem likes this.
  16. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

That and reduce the average life span for players.

Anyway, SkittlesQueen, lag isn't an issue with spigot. I'd also imagine the world would be pre-generated to the world border.

17. Legend9468

See? Nothing but benefits :)

(I'll stop "trolling" or being nonsensical for now on this thread)

18. Keldt

Keldt Member

Alright, so..

The survey hasn't been filled out by anyone for the past couple of days, so I think now would be a good time to post the results. I guess if they change much in the future I can update them here.

21 people filled out the survey.

Here are the details:

Q1:
    For those of you that played on the Vanilla server, which of these features was most important to you?

A1: The server running a snapshot
    Chosen 5 times (23.81%)

A2: The server's use of amplified terrain
    Chosen 3 times (14.29%)

A3: Enforcement of rules such as "No stealing/griefing"
    Chosen 10 times (47.62%)

A4: I didn't play on the Vanilla server
    Chosen 3 times (14.29%)

Q2:
    For those interested in resurrecting the Vanilla server, which applies to you?

A1: The server needs to be running the snapshot and be able to keep up with the newer snapshot versions to be interesting
    Chosen 4 times (20.00%)

A2: The server needs to be able to enforce its "No griefing/stealing" rule. I'm willing to give up snapshots and replace them with custom terrain generation and the plugins in the list below in order to have a Vanilla server that lasts
    Chosen 10 times (50.00%)

A3: I'm willing to give up the snapshot for plugins, but I think we should have more unique gameplay features to make us more different from the other servers
    Chosen 3 times (15.00%)

A4: I don't think we should use snapshots, plugins, or custom terrain. I just want to play vanilla Minecraft with the latest official release
    Chosen 1 time (5.00%)

A5: I don't think we should resurrect the Vanilla server
    Chosen 2 times (10.00%)

Skipped this question:
    1 lazy person

So there they are. I'll be adding that to the main post, which will make it even longer. I'll probably do some elaborating on the results in the main post as well as down here.

Elaboration:
    So, it looks like we have enough support of the Vanilla server to at least get a small community going for a while. Of course, not all people who will be playing on the Vanilla server will be people who filled out the survey or posted on this thread.

A rather significant majority of those who filled out the survey were supportive of plugins, and are happy leaving the server at those few plugins without adding anything to the gameplay. However, if the three of you who chose the third answer for the second question would like to suggest some gameplay features or plugins we could add, I'm sure we could get some good discussion going here, and I could even do surveys/polls for any controversial content we're considering.

As for our next step with the thread and the server, I'd like it if we could start brainstorming for more concrete plans. This could be anywhere from suggesting admins to discussing community projects and how we plan on developing the server over time. (Important:) It would be awesome if someone with some authority could get involved in this stage, since we're getting into more weird territory where I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, or even what I can do. We now have some evidence of support, but if we don't get support from authorities, we can't do anything at all.

--Main post updated--

Please read the new "Update, after the survey" section for new discussion topics, etc.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Navarog likes this.
  19. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Hay man I'm not lazy :( Just not interested in resurrecting the server.

20. Keldt

Keldt Member

There was an option for that xP
    I guess with the question titled "For those of you interested in resurrecting the vanilla server.." you wouldn't think to look for a contradictory answer, so it makes some sense, but others found it just fine.

xP

EDIT: I feel accomplished. I'm recognized as a "Member" now, instead of a "New Member" xD