Creative Building Contests

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Navarog, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Navarog

Navarog Well-Known Member

They will be done soon. If you have any cool ideas for contests or formats for contests or rewards for contests (probably not ranks), then post here.

cemeterry likes this.
  2. Grimmjow

Grimmjow New Member

A pixel art contest could get a lot of players involved.

Keldt and Navarog like this.
  3. Yoyojoel

Yoyojoel New Member Creative Architect

1v1 or team v team building contests with a set theme and a timer. best build gets voted by players and winners face winners. big contest with the winner maybe getting a realistic promo

Keldt likes this.
  4. Keldt

Keldt Member

Contests in any specific build style could be interesting and help people learn different styles.

Things like Roman, modern (not my personal favorite), medieval, etc.

As for reward.. Uh... A few days of WE for the lower ranks, maybe? Don't know for Apprentice and up though :L

cemeterry, Navarog and Yoyojoel like this.
  5. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Apprentices could just get Arch WE perms for a few days. Archs can just revel in the knowledge that they've "still got it"

So, I think that we should either have two contests. 1 weekly one on 30x30 plots, or however large the guest ones are (To help them become a part of the community, plus ideas to help them improve); then maybe a monthly one on a 100x100 plot or something.

As for theme ideas, all of mine are fairly standard

Keldt, cemeterry and Navarog like this.
  6. Legend9468

Actually, I just thought of some ideas for theming.

Stuff like relatively well-known videogame series or movies. So maybe a Star Wars themed week, or Battlefield. Doesn't have to be specific stuff from it, but just a general direction from the theme.

Keldt and Navarog like this.
  7. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Sounds fun. Too bad :(

Grimmjow likes this.
  8. Legend9468

Too bad for what...?

You make it sound as if the idea's already failed.

9. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Maybe add a challenge occasionally. "Do not build over Y50", "Use less than 70 blocks", "Only use the first 3 rows of building blocks with no other category" etcetera etcetera.

waterpower1, Legend9468 and Keldt like this.
  10. cemeterry

cemeterry Member

We could also do contest where you only have a certain set of blocks for your palette that you can use in the build and see what people come up with.

Legend9468, Keldt and Chandler107 like this.
  11. Legend9468

Because I'm enjoying coming up with ideas for themes.

How about an ugliest house one? Or ugliest house with the best interior (Best as in looks good, not the best worst one)

cemeterry likes this.
  12. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

How bout, how bout cupcake!

13. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

• Upside down. It actually get's interesting when someone uses more than stairs for furniture.
    • Sci-Fi meets Medieval Fantasy. Always wondered how's it play out.
    • 1920's Photograph. Not only will it be 20's style, but also in black and white.
    • Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. The 4 "original" elements of science. Probably a lot of Avatar builds, though.
    • Houses of Horror. Circus funhouses, haunted manors, the whole enchilada. Directed by Rob Zombie.
    • Reach for the Stars. Whether it be a small planet or a rocket ship, this one should be interesting.
    • ShadeCrest Classics. Smaller models of famous SC structures.
    Just a few ideas I had.

14. Navarog

I think it would work best with three types of building contests:

Short (events type)
    • .5-1 hour long
    • Set theme
    • Maybe some modifiers i.e. only use these blocks, don't build above this
    • Team vs. team or 1 vs. 1, with tiers and things
    • Would take a few hours and would be at a set time weekly
    • WE for a few hours or a day as a reward. Also maybe being able to vote on winners in higher tiers.
    • Judged by players in lower tiers and admins/mods in higher tiers
    Long
    • 1 week long
    • Set theme
    • People only go against people of the same rank
    • WE or a rank up as a reward
    • Judged by admins/mods
    Longer
    • 1 month long
    • Set theme
    • Team vs. team or player vs. player
      • Maybe something like an architect or apprentice vs. a group of BIs or BIIs?
    • Rank up as a reward for lower ranks in arch vs. BIs and BIIs
    • More WE for apprentice
    • Feelings of superiority for architects
    • WE allowed for ranks with it
    • Judged by admins/mods
    This is just a rough draft. At the moment, staff are working on the contest area for smaller builds.

15. Navarog

We'll probably test out the shorter contests next Sunday (August 24th), and rewards should be done by then as well. After we start actual events, all posts made about it will be in Creative's Contests/Events subboard thing.

cemeterry likes this.
  16. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

If I make it in survival do I get to participate? It'll be a challenge :p

Grimmjow likes this.
  17. Legend9468

Only additions I would have are in regards to voting for the best builds.

Making the voting over the course of at least 24 hours for long/longer (Probs at least a half week for longest).

A people's choice award as well as the admin/mod voting system. Keeps people involved and such. Award is purely cosmetic.

cemeterry and Navarog like this.
  18. Legend9468

3 and/or 4 days until the testing out phase peeps.

I realise bumping is somewhat redundant, but I would like people to stay keen about this. Rather than just let it fizzle out.

(By people, I mean players in general, staff probs haven't forgotten about it)

Also, what time approx were you planning? Just so I know when to get out of bed.

cemeterry likes this.
  19. Navarog

It would probably take about three hours and end an hour or two before Survival events. We've finished two player vs. player arenas already, and are going to try to finish the team vs. team arenas.

Not sure about the times because people do church, but with what I just said it'd start at about 1 PM EST. Saturday may work better for people? I'm not sure that even I could be online at that time.

The longer scale projects will also probably be able to begin Sunday. Those will be in the worlds of each rank and there will just be a thread where people can post warps/pictures of the week/month's build.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    cemeterry likes this.
  20. Legend9468

I shan't be online for the short contests then (2.30am for me). But I'll most certainly make an entry for the longer contests.

Also, just a few small things I thought of:
    • Architects technically not really being in it bc there's really no rewards. But I imagine we'll do it for the hell of it anyway.
    • Will creative mods still be able to participate, seeing as they retain their builder rank as well?