McMMO Skill Gain Feedback Needed

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by CyberVic, Sep 6, 2014.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Per our open discussion on McMMO (http://www.shadecrest.com/site/threads/6574/), today I will be making change so on McMMO skill gain. Right now I think the community agrees that skill gain is too draconian and I'd argue to the point that most McMMO players would rather play not on our server but another McMMO server than this one.

There are other proposed changes in that thread, but the xp gain changes and un-disabling of certain features of McMMO will be undone very soon (today). At some point I will be implementing player death xp loss. But right now I care about unnferfing McMMO before I implement more restrictions.

If you find that once I make these changes you find some cool special way to get XP in any one skill WAY TOO FAST (like you could grind out 1000 skill in less than a week using that method), then please let me know. If I find people abusing the new found skill gains I will be banning people. The intention is to make McMMO skill gains fun again, not too easy.

2. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

So... Will we get to keep mob farms for XP?

3. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

GingerSwan
    -snip-
    Those questions belong in the other thread.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. CyberVic

Ok guys, so I went through an re-enabled all the disabled stuff (including party teleporting). My intention is to have everything in McMMO Enabled, but mearly do a valiant effort to balance everything. Whether that means affecting it's xp curves, changing it's powers, or whatever, there's tons of stuff we can do to make stuff that's "overpowered" to not be "overpowered" without just taking the lame way out and disabling it.

As stated previously, for now.... we will be keeping McMMO skills which affect PvP combat disabled for PvP with other players.

Changed our global xp nerf to instead of being Linear XP curve with 50% nerf, switched the XP curve to Exponential XP curve with only a 25% global nerf. What this means it that XP gain at the low end of a skill will be faster (meaning more fun fore a new player to enjoy getting "into" McMMO and enjoying the mod), but xp gain at the top end of a skill will be slower than it is now (and more grindy for the perfectionist trying to cap out your McMMO skills). XP gain in the middle should be about the same, maybe a little faster.

Another thing I changed was double drops in general. Instead of your chance at double drops being a percentage equal to your skill level (ex. 1000 skill = 100% chance) instead the chance at double drops is equal to half your skill level (ex. 1000 skill = 50% chance, 500 skill = 25% chance). This means that NOTHING will be guaranteed anymore, there will always be a chance of failure. I think this balances our with the changes to xp curves, you have to work to get good at stuff, but at least you're always getting better. Even at the top end you're also not guaranteed things like double drops. Also using special abilities instead of doing 2 tool damage now do 3 tool damage.

Dog damage has been nerfed for both Shapened Claws and Gore. TickFur has been buffed. This means that dogs are less pain trains, but also more survivable. Hopefully this means that players will be encouraged to use them in PVE. Might nerf Horse taming xp gain.

Will require a server restart for these changes to go into effect.

Let me know what you think.

5. CyberVic

Ok latest configs are done and uploaded. The changes will be in effect on the next server restart.

6. CyberVic

http://mc.shadecrest.com/MCStats/profile.php?player=CyberVic

Made an update to the McStats, now shows salvage and smelting on the McMMO stats.]

As a reminder for those now wanting to work on their McMMO stats again, you can type:
    /mcstats (or some other command like let's say you're working on your archery you can do /archery)
    Then if you want to keep that scoreboard up type: /mcscoreboard keep

7. CyberVic

You can now type "/mcs keep" instead of the full "/mcscoreboard keep"

8. CyberVic

The ShadeCrest Sewers (first major dungeon of the ShadeCrest dungeon program) has been revamped.

/warp sewers
    • Improved mob spawning using a very cool spawning algorythm Erik came up with
    • 25% bonus McMMO experience (for those skills one would use in a dungeon)
    • Vastly improved PhatLoot in chests
    Protip: Use parties if you don't w ant to murder your friends by accident in the dungeon

As a reminder, the dungeon is PVE/PvP. Players can and likely will fight over loot privledges of the big chest rooms, particularly the coveted gold room. All chests are on 1 hour respawn timers.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  9. CyberVic

Implemented several un-nerfs. A lot of the "crit" like abilities cap out at 33% chance to crit. Most passive abilities cap out at 80% chance of success, the active roll ability now caps out at 95% chance of success, double drops cap at 80% chance of success.

Made a few changes to unarmed. It's min bonus damage was nerfed, it's top end damage bonus was buffed, but it scales over all 1000 levels now instead of just the first 250. Did a similar sideways nerf to Axes.

These changes won't go into effect until the next server restart.

10. CyberVic

Unarmed nerf is now unnerfed.

I fixed the low end damage and increased AGAIN the top end damage. Now at max level unarmed punching will be equivalent to a diamond sword with sharpness 4 (12 half hearts of damage). I really want to give players the incentive to max out skills at 1000. So basically the low end of unarmed will be back to what it was (actually a bit stronger) and the top end will be a lot stronger, but it will jsut take 1000 skill to max out instead of 200 skill to max out.

As usual this will take a restart.

11. CyberVic

So I inadvertently messed up our exponential xp curve. When I switched over the formula was wrong and ended up with too low of an xp curve over the entire level range. I've now balanced it a bit more. It should still be easier to level in the low range but then slow down as time goes on and be even harder to level in the high range than before (800 -> 1000 will be harder than before).

Dungeon loot has now been nerfed in quantity. Loot distribution seems right, just giving a less now. Also loot chests will remain lootable for 5 minutes after opening (previously only 60 seconds). I also installed an anit-camping addon for Phat loots so players can't just camp chests.

All McMMO skills are now correctly capped at 1,000 which was always the intention but apparently was not set that way. Anyone who had over 1000 in any one skill has had their skill adjusted down though honestly this should (unless there's a bug) have zero effect on gameplay for that player.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  12. CyberVic

Gave a decent xp gain buff for some of the skills which have always been insanely slower to level (alchemy, acrobatics, fishing) than others which were only moderately annoying to level, buffed their xp just a tiny bit and nerfed the xp gain of excavation a tiny bit.

I also buffed the xp gain speed of axes and unarmed to compensate for the fact that the damage bonus granted to those skills scales from 1-1000 now instead of 1-200. Also buffed the top end damage buff of axes similar to how I buffed the top end damage of unarmed. I didn't buff it as much as unarmed because it would be ridiculously overpowered at the top end with the 33% crit along with too much higher of a damage buff.

Again the goal is to make the journey from 1-1000 fun, an appropriate skill curve for time invested, and make it so all skills have an incentive to go from 1-1000, not just 1-200, or something like that.

Most of these changes will only be felt on next server restart.

13. CyberVic

After doing a ton more testing...

I done goofed the xp curve formula for McMMO.

These are the formulas for McMMO experience:
    LINEAR: base + (level * multiplier)
    EXPONENTIAL: multiplier * level ^ exponent + base

Previously we had: 1020 + (x * 20) with a 50% xp nerf resulting in essentially (1020 + (x*20))*2
    I switched it to what I thought was: ((.1 * x)^2.36)+ 2000

Now the funny thing is that's what you'd assume the formula is...
    I was wrong. I want to kill McMMO for not including parenthesis in their formula.

It's actually (.1 * x^2.36) + 2000.

Now for those mathematically inclined. That's a MUCH different formula and well results in a goddamn insane xp curve that's painful as hell and hits insane numbers after about 100 skill points.

OOPS.

Fixing it to what I actually wanted it to be:
    #1 is default McMMO linear
    #2 is what we had prior to all my changes
    #3 is default McMMO exponential
    #4 is what I thought I changed it to
    #5 is what I ACTUALLY accidentally change it to (which is absolutely INSANE)
    #6 is what I'm changing it to right now
    https://www.desmos.com/calculator/8037gbjhfy

Apologies to anyone who think I purposefully nerfed xp as horribly as I did. Particular apologies to 86maxsmart. I kinda wish he actually explained what was going on instead of just expecting that I was that much of an ass and wanted people to have to grind a million experience per level on the top end.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Mega_Spud likes this.
  14. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

uhh cyber is falling like 7 blocks usual to level up acrobatics 3 times? im at lvl 220 btw

I_am_dropbear likes this.
  15. CyberVic

Why did you ask in game AND on the forums? Fixed.

16. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

I asked on forums first then realized u were in game