Level headed decisions

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by Beocca, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beocca

Beocca Member VIP

I have written and rewritten this post several times already and I find myself struggling with what I want to say, so please forgive me if it gets a bit long winded. I guess i'll start out with a couple of my experiences over the years of dealing with staff, as well as being a staff.

The only time i ever broke a rule on purpose, i was caught red handed. On a raid against arcadia i had killed a few ppl in a big fight, but was about to die to bleed damage. I panicked and did /home to prevent the loss of items and after about 5 seconds was confronted by a mod ( happened to be the current mayor of arcadia, :)) He asked me about it and i sorta tried to play dumb, he told me he was invisible and was watching the whole time. He said he knew exactly what i had done and why, he only wanted to know what i thought i should do about it. Feeling very guilty and sheepish i offered all the loot back as well as a bit extra to soothe any hard feelings. I apoligized for what i had done and that was the end of it.

During my brief time as a moderator i encountered many situations where i had to decide what to do/say to someone who had broken a rule. Sometimes it was not easy to accomplish this without letting my emotions get the better of me, but i knew it was important that i do exactly that. I think if more staff can handle these situations using their words instead of their fists, that we can not only increase our servers population, but make more mature players out of them

I would also like to address the situation involving PieSquared761 recent banning. I really feel that this was a knee jerk reaction that was guided by an emotional response, I think it was unfair and i really would like this to be reversed.

Please think hard and without emotion before responding. I really want this to turn into something constructive for everyone to learn and grow from, and not degenerate into an argument.

2. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

I agree with most, cept the pie situation, yes I consider her my lil sis on here but I'd like to point out that she does argue on and on and on so it does get tiring after awhile(I got experience while living with my mom back in my teenage years). I've said this a few times recently, before both parties bash each other with arguing, step back n take a deep breath and let it out then continue talking or take a day to think about what to say then come back...if folks used this there'd be less bickering, sometimes getting banned for a short time helps you think what you've done, it also lets the admin/mod cool off(just another way to get away from other person) we all let our emotions get the best of us...point is that we learn from it

3. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

The issue is that while we do argue on and on, we don't make any progress. This is probably why eze got fed up with me. We say the same things over and over again, and we both feel like the other side is ignoring what we're saying. It's very easy to get frustrated in these situations, I completely understand that, but the decisions the admins make shouldn't be made when they're angry with me, or anyone for that matter.

4. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

This post is directed at Beocca or anyone else who is apparently outraged by this ban, or any ban we do against players.

What you might interpret as "mad" or "knee jerk" might simply be a logical decision based on a pattern of behavior. You are not aware of all the facts, to that I am sure. You are not aware of all the lengthy, private discussions that have been had, of that I am certain. I hold my staff to a much higher standard than they've been held to in the past. While I know people do make mistakes, knee jerk reactions are made, I have looked at this case as objectively as possible and have publicly stated her case has ongoing review.

Continuing to make threads on this is slightly annoying considering the above and the time of year. At the very lest, accept that she'll at minimum still be banned for the original ban length which was 1 week, likely longer. Personally I consider what she's done very similar to a 1 month ban we gave to someone else for repeated abuse of the same game mechanic. Quite possibly, for now, this discussion is over until we pick it back up internally within the admins after the xmas break.

It is annoying I have to deal with this on Christmas Eve, but I hope I have answered your inquiry to your satisfaction.

Happy Holiday.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.