Server offline 5-17-15 @ 11pm CST

Discussion in 'Requests / Reports' started by Lothaar, May 18, 2015.

1. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

Server been offline since last night around 11 pm central time.

About an hour before it was giving a lot of the "message not received" for about 3-10 seconds and then it got longer and longer until the server went down. For several hours preceding this, there was heavy intermittent jello lag of the highest order; some of the worst I have seen of late. The server would try to come back up over and over but would not stay up or allow a stable client connection.

Been like that for about 12 hours now.

Might just need a hard restart...

2. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

CyberVic should be back later today

3. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

awsome

4. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

Server been running @ 0.2 sim for long periods, even when only one person on server...

Similar to what was going on this weekend, but now you only get a few minutes @ 0.8 sim if that before sim drops to 0.1-0.2
    Then it will pop back up to 0.8 for a while.

I know a lot of mods were updated recently when you saw that several of them were not auto updated. perhaps it may be related to that.

Ive been on this server for about 10 days or so and for the first week I played things were more than smooth enough to get stuff done. Last couple days though, the sim drops have really put a hamper on things.

Please let me know if I can collect any other data to help, not much I can do except that.

5. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

I got on Monday evening and everything seemed fine.

Is it your base that's lagging you? Do you own a lot of ships? Are a lot of things being done in your local cluster near you? Even if you're the only one on, that means that your computer has to do the simulation code for all the objects the server deems your client responsible to do updates for (likely anything in your visible range which is 10km) and could over time tank your machine if your machine can't keep up.

I mean, at Cage industries I hover around .8-.6 sim speed pretty much all the time.

6. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

ill do some tests to that effect.

I am in one ship right now 6.5 mil kg, and most systems are turned off. I have no one else in my area in visual range. I have three asteroids in visual range. ill fly away into middle of nowhere in suit only with nothing in visual range and look at sim for a bit too see is still tanking.

7. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

I flew away from my ship about 15k and sat till energy ran out. was smooth @ .7-.8 sim.

I repeated but this flew back at half energy. 7k from ship I started having sim drops.

Got back to ship and shut down everything except gyros, engines, med, reactors. Merge blocks were on as well for attached small craft but ship is one grid at this point.

Things stabilize @ .7-.8 sim. I wait for a while to confirm stability.

I then start to power on all systems one by one. I get all systems up and running and still stable @.7-.8 sim.

So it would seem, from this one test, that my grid was trashing my sim speed somehow...

My best guess ... may be there was a system conflict in my grid related to the, way/order, I built/turned things on, and a system shut down and restart somehow regulated whatever was causing the conflict. Ill leave client running for a bit while I work to monitor stability.

8. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

Been running an hour now no problems, merged and unmerged all 4 craft, toggled on and off and changed options for massive solar arrays, battery banks, oxygen farm/producer, you name it, i messed with it. Changed up LCD programs in program block. Turned on gravlock pads and tractor pads ... Still constant .7-.8 sim.

Not sure what was causing my sim drops but it is gone and I can not seem to reproduce it.

9. Lothaar

Lothaar Member VIP

again perhaps certain modules or mod blocks, once updated, caused problems if they were still running from a pre-update enviornment. Once turned off and on they assumed new values from updates in new environment.