Creative Build of the Week (28/7)

Discussion in 'Server Media' started by Legend9468, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creative Build of the Week
    28th of July

Guest Plot
    By firefliesr

-+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-
    Slim pickings in the pworld if you want to go further than the spawn (edit: After posting this I found that there was also a copy right outside the spawn -_- ). This week build is brought to us by firefliesr with the construction of a large manor type building and accompanying tower.

[​IMG]

Awwwwww. The tree is just giving the house a nice hug
    I consider builds like this a lesson in what stretching your walls vertically can do. Here Fire has followed a simple design and aesthetic, but what really makes this building stand out is the first floor (ground floor) walls a full 10 blocks high, instead of the normal 3 - 5 that you see in most buildings. The next floor is a shorter 4 blocks, but emerges from the wall giving the building a better 3d shape that looms over anyone watching.

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to figure out if this is supposed to be the front or back.

The other feature that really makes this build stand out is the chosen palette of acacia, quartz, and brick. The orange wood is a choice that I personally rarely see in builds, but here it complements perfectly against the grey of the logs and acacia, and contrasts against the quartz. These lighter blocks also bring into contrast the overgrown tree starting to encroach upon the building, as seen in the first picture; giving the impression of age and neglect.

[​IMG]

My heart is as empty as these rooms when I see builds like this.

Sadly, as with many builds that focus on a larger exterior, the interior has suffered and remains unfilled with the exception of a few walkways and an average staircase. Spending the time to fill buildings can be just as rewarding as constructing the exterior, and presents a fun challenge as you work with weird shapes, colours, and a confined area.

To close, Fire's build provides useful lessons to all of us in using height and colour pallets, all the while not going overboard on the detailing and providing a memorable landmark to anyone joining the server.

[​IMG]

Behold! A Paleblood moon!

As always, I appreciate your feedback on these. What went well? What didn't? What would you like to see more of? Comment below, even if it's just to say that you enjoyed the build.​