Regarding the new map: Version 2!

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by ezeiger92, Jul 11, 2018.

?

Should we fully reset the server?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2018.
  1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I meant to start this thread with 2 weeks notice, but then the latest snapshot bumped up the planned release to July 18th. Oh boy.

First off, this is not a repeat of the Survival Reimagined thread. That contains changes to mechanics and server settings, this will cover the process of updating to 1.13. Plus I need to make a poll so I need a new thread.

So that poll; should we fully reset the server. This would mean wiping mcMMO, money, chest locks, and inventories, as well as archiving the old map on day 1. Well day "as-soon-as-we-can". Why is this a good idea? Our current map has been active for a very long time, approaching 3 years, and most players have reached a point of boredom with MineCraft after doing everything. There is a solid number of older players planning on returning for 1.13 with the expectation of a reset. Along with that, the planned changes (read: Survival Reimagined) will greatly affect the economy and balances shouldn't reflect the old system.

Alternatively, we could keep the current map and the new 1.13 map side-by-side for 2-3 months and allow players to transfer by hand. There will be no build moves. Players will be refunded enough to unlock and relock all their chests, but there won't be a "no-raid" grace period. If you leave items in an unlocked container, that is on you. Chest lock limits will be applied, so you may not be able to lock as many chests in the new map.

To cap this off, I'll post the adjusted shorthand notes from the 1.13 announcement thread. From 7 months ago. All of my hate.

New map properties:
    • Expanded border of +- 32k blocks, 16 times the size of our current world
    • Building/digging below a certain level will only be possible in resource worlds, and within bounds of any land-claiming system if we get one
    • The nether, mining, and end will remain as they are (periodic resets based on voting) and a portal to mining will be in spawn
    • The terrain will be vanilla 1.13, and no you can't have the seed
    • Elytra will be disabled in the new map for a period of time to prevent chunk loading lag
    • There will be a small hub in the center of the new map, with spawn in its own map

Eman3dude, StephenP67 and cziuwatis like this.
  2. cziuwatis

cziuwatis New Member

Great news. On one hand, I hope we get the chance to at least get our special items transferred > voter of the month, items from events like the one held by Mietm etc.
    On the other hand I believe a full reset will be wonderful :D

ezeiger92 likes this.
  3. ezeiger92

Not a bad idea. I'll see if that can be done reasonably, maybe a virtual trophy box for those items specifically.

cziuwatis likes this.
  4. ezeiger92

Moved to news and updates. Although it doesn't quite fit, it is important enough to put on the front page.

5. WCTech

WCTech New Member

Would it be possible to turn the current map into spectate mode for a couple months following a full reset? I'd imagine that some players might want to have a chance to rebuild by visual copy or say goodbye to their old homes.

I also have a diamond that you named and gave to me after catching an xray-er back in 2016.

6. ezeiger92

Those diamonds are considered trophies and would fall under cz’s suggestion. Keeping the old map as a spectator-only thing might be neat, I’ll consider it.

7. ezeiger92

Spigot put out a prerelease to let devs update their plugins, and the thread contained this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.