Permissions File

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by JoeyLeary, Dec 27, 2011.

1. JoeyLeary

JoeyLeary New Member

So yesterday, when I was on Shadecrest, I heard Blatca (or who ever was using the console) speaking through the console, saying that the permissions.yml file they had was too big, so it was causing a bit of lag to inject new peoples permissions.

I had an idea, that you should delete Guests, that have visited the server once and never returned or got declined from it.

And maybe Members that haven't been on for 6+ or 12+ months should also be removed from it?

This way the permissions file can get smaller, and wont lag so much :)
    Please tell me what you think, also i'm not sure if the staff is discussing this between themselves or something, so if you are just close this thread.

2. 04blatca

04blatca Member Lead Admin VIP

Max thinks that the lag when adding people to the permissions isn't related to the size of the files (Even though I do).

Anyways, guests that join the server aren't in the permissions file anyway.
    It would be nice to remove people that havent been on 6+ months ago, but you never know when someone might want to come back, and we have no /seen logs that go that far back. :p

I need to persuade max to use the mysql database for storing permissions information, as that would be much more efficient.

3. ace5511

ace5511 Member VIP Creative Architect

how many people havent been on for 6+ months?

4. JoeyLeary

JoeyLeary New Member

Probably 30+ people? I'm not sure just a guess.

5. fixterjake11

fixterjake11 Member VIP

the server just crashed because of promoting (i think) we were in ts and hiz said "ok im going to promote these people" and then it crashed.

6. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

I promoted 3 people this morning with very little lag at all

7. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

I promoted two players just before I had to go afk for a few minuets. when I got back the server was down. Either promoting players was "the straw that broke the camels back" or it was all chance.

8. nathaniela44

nathaniela44 New Member VIP

i doubt that promoting people caused the server to crash... as an admin and owner of another server i have never seen that happening even in the event of a wipe of the permission lists and therefore we had to promote 20/30+ people at once, that caused lag but was not enough to crash the server even with lag from eratic internet... i think it was the just the last straw and that pushed the server over the edge...

9. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

That makes sense. I did not know there was that much.

10. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

This might be a long shot, but maybe restarting the actual computer or letting it rest for a few minutes might help lol

11. JoeyLeary

JoeyLeary New Member

They can't just turn off the computer that's hosting the server -.-
    And if they asked the hosters they would just ignore it lol.

12. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

13. JoeyLeary

JoeyLeary New Member

14. duckey5393

duckey5393 New Member VIP

15. USA515

USA515 New Member VIP

D: eww. how could you duckey?!

16. duckey5393

duckey5393 New Member VIP

Its not my fault... my parents said they'd pay for it if i got a mac but they said id have to buy my own if i got a pc.