WTF Happened with the Diamond Price?

Discussion in 'Shop and Trade' started by PieSquared761, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

According to my records (no you can't see them), diamonds were a constant 80 rupies until 6/27/12 where they went down to 75. Then on 6/29/12 they were already at 60. Then they stabilized. Then from 8/20/12, they went down constantly, ending us up where we are now. Now diamonds are at a pretty constant 35r. Even with Cash4Diamonds around, how are we going to bring up the diamond prices?

2. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

Create more demand. How to do this? Good question. Plugin? Create a new use for them?Something else? Be good to research into.

3. PieSquared761

Not a clue. Perhaps remove all diamonds in mining world, new parts of the peaceful and pvp maps? Practically make diamonds unobtainable except in Abandoned Mineshaft chests? It seems like a lot of work, but I'm pretty sure it'll bring diamonds back up to at least 50r.

4. PieSquared761

Btw, if anyone *cough* Max *cough* could tell us anything of significant that happened on the dates in the original post that would be really helpful, we could do the opposite if what happened on those days.

5. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Removing diamonds from various worlds is a very bad idea. Absolutely no new players would stay on a server if they found out a mining trip in search of diamond was futile. It was bad enough removing ores from half the world (this is MINEcraft, mind you). Due to fortune, the supply of diamonds is very high, causing the demand to be very low. If you want to raise the demand, you must reduce the supply. The supply is not in the ground, it is in people's chests.

The only way I see to raise diamond prices would for an admin shop to buy unlimited amounts for a set amount like gold. Everytime someone sells diamonds, they well be reducing the supply (the diamonds cannot be put back into the markey, like cash 4 gold). With a set selling price, anyone who wants to buy diamonds from a player will have to a bit more than what they go for at the bank(again, just like gold).

I know an idea like this is likely to be unpopular, but removing ores from the ground would simply devastate the server.

6. PieSquared761

Newbies could always just buy diamonds :p

But yeah, that was a really bad idea XD

Perhaps set the adminshop to buying diamonds at 40r as to not be overpowered, but not be too low? Having no limit to selling diamonds would be immensely popular/useful.

7. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

The problem with this idea is that it now drops the value of rupies. Therefor 20k chest auctions instead of 10k

8. PieSquared761

This problem is unsolvable XD

9. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

Ok then, I suggest that you turn diamonds into a form of currency. You would be able to bet and trade using them

10. PieSquared761

XD I have 5 God picks, just haven't got around to using any of them :p

11. PieSquared761

Anyways, what do you propose as a solution Max? It is your final decision anyways.

12. PieSquared761

Yeah, I guess there really is nothing you can do. I doubt diamonds will get any cheaper, because during the lass recession, in the time of bockbeard, diamonds when down to 35r, but no less. I think the price will bounce back soon.

13. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Well, a no enchant pick movement would be cool. But, I can't envision pie sitting outside of Starbucks protesting Enchanted pickaxes. I realized that if we reset everyones iconomy account to 500 or 1000r, wouldn't the price of Diamonds raise since there is less money to spend on them, therefore increase there value? Of course, I'm no economist, and doing a doublecheck on that. It seems it could have an equal possibility of lowering the prices as well.

Sooooooo... If we keep it so that you can sell diamond for about 75r to the cash4diamonds and reset the iconomy accounts, that should reset diamonds to the price of about 100r since the product has a real world value and is often needed. Therefore, everyone would lose, yet the server would once again have a stable economy. Is anyone up for this?

14. Beocca

Beocca Member VIP

There is even less use for diamonds now it seems. With the ability to trade emeralds for diamond tools/gear, I find nothing to do with them except for the occasional repair

Cash4Diamonds has had little effect other than keep it dropping below 35 because of how often there is no money in account.
    Alas diamond prices have also now dropped to around 32-33 :(

15. PieSquared761

We are NOT resetting all the iConomy accounts.

16. PieSquared761

In all seriousness, that WOULD raise the diamond price, but it would seriously turn off veteran players like me, Beocca, _Flag, JASPERLI, etc.

17. PieSquared761

Yeah, I do have trouble spending my rupies, apart from auctions. However, I can pretty quickly drain my rupies with an expensive project or by hoarding materials.

18. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Man... I thought I had a good idea! As I said though, I ain't no economist.

19. PieSquared761

It seems like a good idea if you don't value rupies.

20. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

All it requires is players increasing the price themselves. I've already messages pie, and will get a discussion going with some of the other shops owners. People are still willing to pay 40 or so, I still see it in the logs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.