Just a quick question.

Discussion in 'FTB Guides and Tutorials' started by Legend9468, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

But does anyone know of a way to install 64 bit Java onto ftb? I'm scouring my mind for ways of boosting performance (Some of you will remember my framerate issues), and 64 bit sounds like a good way to boost it.

Incase anyone is getting really low frame rates, try cleaning your registry and such with something like CCleaner, worked a bit for me.

2. AwesomeGuy2010

AwesomeGuy2010 Active Member

What type of laptop/computer are you using? Sometimes it differs but not always. I get from 95-100 FPS so I'll check my laptop for anything that might help.

3. Legend9468

I'm on my laptop as well. Not fully sure from where the problem stems. I was under the impression that mine was actually a half decent one.
    [​IMG]

4. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

D: you need 64 bit java if you have a 64 bit OS
    here and here if you have 2 javas uninstall the non 64-bit after you're done

5. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know which graphics card your computer is using to run java applications? Your computer may be using the integrated Intel 4000 graphics instead of the discreet Nvidia GT 630 card. If so, that could explain the performance issue. Otherwise, I recommend installing Optifine if you haven't done so already.

6. Legend9468

At the moment, I don't know which graphics card it's using, advice on how to check would be much appreciated.

Also, with installing optifine onto ftb (I know how to do it via the edit modpack option), but which version of it do you use and where abouts does it go? I've tried it and ended up having to redownload the modpack because it stopped running.

7. stlnaturals

stlnaturals Member VIP

Legend you can check it by, right clicking on your desktop and clicking on screen resolution and then going to advanced setting and it should pop up on a different box stating it. Do you want me to post a picture.

8. Legend9468

I know which graphics card my comp uses by default, I meant I didn't know which one Java was using.
    [​IMG]

9. Legend9468

Ignore the background, I messed up cropping and didn't see it 'till after I uploaded.

10. stlnaturals

stlnaturals Member VIP

11. Legend9468

Gah, I may have to wait to test this.
    I'm learning to program java in Uni, and I need to make sure that changing the version won't mess around with my projects. Well, not yet anyway, after I submitt them later, it'll be fine.

12. stlnaturals

stlnaturals Member VIP

Ok. Well I could prob tell you more tommorrow as my dad is a computer programmer but he's asleep so ill ask him and see what he thinks. lol

13. CanOpenerTrooper

CanOpenerTrooper Well-Known Member VIP

Just for future reference, I don't know if you know much about stuffs on computers but here is my input

Processor: Decent
    RAM: No need for more. The chances of people using more than 8 GB of RAM is very unluckily. For the most part, it makes people feel better to have more RAM. You will not see a difference if you upgrade to 16GB, for my opinion because MC is dedicated too 900 MB's of RAM no matter what. (f3 tells ya' that)
    Graphics: Intel graphics are not the best, but they work :)
    HDD: I REALLY recommend cleaning your hard drive. I cleared out 75 GB of mine and saw a 50+ FPS boost. Every gigabyte counts :)

I am no Gaming expert but hey, why not add some stuffs in... And if you are on a desktop, I would change out the graphics card (if it is not built it) for one of these. Here is the best, most reliable cards for cheap.

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...4-best-graphics-cards-for-every-budget-654141

14. Legend9468

It has another graphics card inside, it's just not in view at the moment. It's also a laptop. The hard drive bit may be worth a look.
    I'll transfer everything to the other one once I get home.

15. CanOpenerTrooper

K, so graphics cards are out of the question. The hard drive for me is your best bet. Almost every day on PMC I see someone having trouble with FPS on MC and how it decays over the weeks. I tell them to clear a lot of stuff out of their HDD and they all get an 15+ FPS boost. I am not familiar with the mod pack on FTB and I don't know if you can install optifine but it is REALLY worth a shot.

16. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

To make things simple.
    Since you do have a 64bit operating system, get the 64bit runtime environment that sharq had posted earlier, and just devote more ram into MC, there are a lot of instructions on how to do so on YouTube, and you will definitely see a difference in performance. Your graphics card is fine, you don't need a decent one to run MC at adequate frames.

17. CanOpenerTrooper

adequate 39-50

18. Legend9468

Mmmmmm, I'm familiar with doing it for Vanilla (and indeed hit over a hundred fps at minimum most times, depending on location), it's just doing it on ftb that gave me cause for concern.

19. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

if you have more than one java installed that may cause issues too, I recommend uninstalling all java you have on your computer and then installing the 64-bit one

QuietSea likes this.
  20. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

While awasted is right that even the integrated graphics should be good enough for Minecraft, it might be worth a look to see what graphics card is being used. Click the spoiler for a slightly technical and unnecessarily long-winded explanation on how to set the discreet graphics card as the default for minecraft.
    To install optifine, go to the FTB launcher and click the "edit mod pack" tab at the top. Click on the jar mods tab and select "Add Mod" at the bottom. Download the 1.4.7 version of optifine and add that. Restart FTB, and it should work.