RPG Server Suggestions

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by Dman2416, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

Go ahead and post your ideas, such as features, activities, and rules for your plan of an RPG server here.

You may also build upon another persons' idea and discuss it, even combine two or more ideas.

Here's my plan:
    • One big world, a sandbox style server where rules are minimal in order to have the most freedom possible.
    • The majority of the server will be grief-protected, to keep griefers away, and prevent needless destruction, but trees can be cut down, and ores can be mined in pre-made mines
    • Clans can be created for players who wish to work as a team (I'll discuss that later).
    • About 1/3rd of the server will be no-PvP, where players can gain xp and level up with activities such as killing mobs in the wild, exploring dungeons, mining, woodcutting, and even staying in a city/town and do nothing but buy and sell items in a mostly player-run economy. Several NPC owned towns and cities will be located here.
    • Quests can be run in NPC areas. Lower level quests are easier, but have a smaller reward, while high-level quests are very difficult, but have very lucrative reward.
    • The other 2/3rd's of the server will have PvP on, the mobs will be tougher, and mines and dungeons hold much more valuable loot.
    • In PvP areas, clans may take over villages, towns, and castles/forts, which will gain them a certain bonus, such as in villages: small currency income, wood, stone, a bit of coal. Towns: relatively large income, more wood and stone, more coal, and iron... and so on. The size of the claim will correlate with how much things you receive as a clan, although each claim only gives one thing, so there will be no such thing as just camping in the best castle to exploit its unbalanced income.
    • There will be various NPC shops in the NPC area, plus in PvP towns. But these will be limited in order to promote player-owned shops, which can modify the price and value of items.
    • Shops will be located in purchasable market stalls, and entire shops in all cities and towns. A stall will have a more limited space but will cost less to buy or rent, while a whole shop will have tons more room, but will have a hefty price tag on it.
    • Farms and homes can also be bought. Homes range from small homes, to large villas, of course the price of a home will scale up with it's size. While farms also scale in size and price, where players can grow crops and sell them as food or raw products.
    • Mcmmo can be used as a level-up system, while vanilla xp can still be used to enchant items.
    • Enchantment tables can be found in cities, and in castles when a clan takes it over.
    • Warping will be limited only to cities, towns, player-owned castles, and a few select villages from warp shrines located in said areas. In NPC owned lands, any player may warp to them, but in PvP areas, you may only warp to a location your clan owns. Warping needs a 5-second warp-up, and you cannot warp if you have been in combat for the last 5 seconds.
    I think that covers everything xD

2. hywzerboydy

hywzerboydy Active Member VIP

3. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

The few things that I have a problem with (And actually suggested against in the other thread) are:
    • Grief protection. While I understand what grief protection is, this is environmental protection. While we should have a rollback system to prevent proper griefs environmental damage should be enabled. This way creepers and tnt can damage the ground and requires players to repair it.
    • I'm also resistant about having no pvp areas. I would rather have areas designated no pvp, but not enforced by a pluggin. Like in real life, someone breaks these rules, they would lose their reputation and people wouldn't trust them.
    • The idea behind pvp and tougher mobs was to encourage the joining of clans for safety. If we have easier areas with no pvp, normal mobs and no environmental damage; then it's basically just peaceful world on survival. We're trying to make something distinct from that server entirely.
    • Not going to comment on shops bc I've already said my part in them.
    • Purchasing of businesses to occur in the capital, bc the rest of the towns and such will be clan owned. Purchasing homes and such would become a bit of a legal grey area if you own a home in a captured town.
    • The purchasing of a home in the capital should be able to be done with relative ease. Although the question of actual purchasing needs to be discussed, to make it balanced for poorer players compared to richer ones.
    • Your warping system is to almost every major location on the map (Excluding the clan owned part for now). It would work better if we just had it to the holds, and only accessible from the capitol. Like as was suggested on the other server with carriages and trade routes. (My suggestion for no warps was apparently one of the more popular ideas, so this is the one I'm not willing to compromise on).

4. Legend9468

New ideas:

Death timer of 5 minutes. It could just be a slowness potion and blindness, but it would be effective for seiges as it does remove you from combat i.e. rushing a town is now a lot harder and once your team dies, that's it you have a very small chance to redo it again.

We'll need a group of players to regulate the real estate of this server, the economy and the general politics of town ownership.

Dman2416 likes this.
  5. hywzerboydy

As you said before, we should have 24 hours to see if people agree with the suggestions and ideas. Starting now, people can say wheather they like an idea or disagree with it, and have a reason. This time tomorrow, we should start organising exactly what we are going to do, and how we are going to do it. We will include ideas from here, and from the old thread.

6. Flamestar00

Flamestar00 Active Member VIP

I think this sounds good. I also think it should be made more impossible on your own so making a clan is essential. Maybe each clan is assigned a base/castle/village that they can improve and build as a base. As it grows clans take over other villagers etc. That's my 2c

7. hywzerboydy

A clan can find a base, it can be cave or a ruin or something like that. Once they have enough resources, which they can get any way they want, they can attack holds or other clans. Clans should be careful if they steal resources, because the hold guards will look for them and they will be punished. The punishment for stealing hasn't been decided yet.

Flamestar00 likes this.
  8. Flamestar00

Flamestar00 Active Member VIP

A massive creeper lands on top of the base and blows it to oblivion.

hywzerboydy likes this.
  9. Legend9468

The hold guards, outside of just standing there and fighting people off, would require a dedicated pluggin.

I haven't really seen any mods which grant the ability for mobs to move in a select pattern, and recognise player actions like stealing.

A possible alternate option could be the increase in spawn rate of bandits/mobs in the territory in which the crime was done.

My idea is as following for clan bases.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a dojo from Warframe for this. They start off small, like 2 rooms small, and players contribute resources to expand it. Due to the taking over of villages and such, I think this should only be about the size of a large manor or villa. Not the site of major battles, but a serene corner of the map for clans to retire to.

These estates will not be businesses or centres of confilct. These are places for clans to settle diplomatic matters, and relax, or in other words, entirely aesthetic.

Other notes:

Clans should have a minimum of 3 members to start. While some may disagree, I want to encourage larger groups of people in this server, in the interest of creating larger conflicts (12v12 conflicts would be pree sveet, although not really possible with out player numbers).

10. hywzerboydy

Yes it's difficult to do, but I do programming as an extra in school, and sharq is doing java soon so it's definitely possible.

11. Legend9468

There is a difference between learning the basics of Java, and being able to program a pluggin. If it's anything like what my programming topic was like, then I doubt he'd learn enough to be able to code a pluggin from scratch.

That said, altering the source code of one may not be out of the question. Assuming we get the developer's permission.

Dynodamon likes this.
  12. hywzerboydy

Well we'll start learning java and see how it goes, I know some of the basics already. If we can't do it fro scratch, then we can try to get perms to edit existing plugins. A lot of what the programming will include is scripting using current minecraft code. For example, if a guard sees an enemy, he will attack (using an attack script from a mob or something) I am quite good at python which is mostly scripting anyway

13. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

I love all these ideas, and I'm willing to compromise for Legend's ideas.

But as Nifix has mentioned, all these ideas are somewhat pointless if we don't have the plugins to make them happen. We can work on that, but before we continue adding on more and more ideas we should start preparing for actually making the server, as in get build crews prepared, let max know about it (Although I doubt he doesn't already), and actually start formulating how the world will be set up.

14. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

Random0ne knows his stoof

15. qb10panther

qb10panther Member

I dont know if anyone has suggested this or not but here is my idea:

A city or a boss area that is super hard to capture. No clan can actually gain control of it. It is sort of like a quest. The city will be filled with bosses and mobs. To capture the city you would need multiple people and good teamwork. It would be like something you could always strive for. Idk if the idea is good it is hard to explain.

16. hywzerboydy

I wanted a main quest, but I don't think it should be done in the same way as hold capturing. Maybe a big ruin full of traps and monsters.

17. hywzerboydy

18. hywzerboydy

19. kizzyfazzle

kizzyfazzle Active Member VIP

This sounds really cool but I really like what flame and Legend were getting at how it should be nearly impossible to survive on your own and large clan groups should be formed

hywzerboydy likes this.
  20. hywzerboydy

sharqman

Want him here before we say anything else