Since my appeal was locked so quickly

Discussion in 'Requests and Reports' started by North_Korean, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

I am curious as to that as well Rem.

All I know is that he's no longer staff; on the forums at least.

2. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

From what i heard he is still admin on survival but just doesn't get on anymore

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

Lel awasted was the one who asked us to do this... Awasted numbro uno

Rem likes this.
  4. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

As for varied levels of punishment...

Regular players are not really under threat of losing "admin status", which is usually a hard-won and trusted position on the server. If a random guest that joins screws around and builds a giant donkey dong on creative, or grief's Sharqman's stuff on survival, a one month ban is appropriate, but bears little consequence to the guest's reputation (mostly because the guest has not built any reputation at this point). On the other hand, if a long term admin screws around and does something inappropriate, his or her reputation on the server and/or "admin status" can be affected adversely, and possibly indefinitely.

A server member that screws around and antagonizes another server is doing so (presumably) separate from, and without the supervision of Shadecrest as a server (and certainly without the consent of Shadecrest staff members).
    *Ergo, that member's actions should not warrant punishment via Shadecrest staff, reprehensible though they may be.

A Shadecrest admin that screws around and antagonizes another server is also doing so (presumably) separate from, and without the supervision of Shadecrest as a server (and certainly without the consent of Shadecrest staff members).

^BUT! The Shadecrest admin should be held to a higher standard for representing the good nature of our server, thus the discovery of bad behavior by said admin should be addressed in an *"appropriate fashion"*.

*"Appropriate fashion" = /ban, /temp ban, or a diminished in-game reputation (which believe it or not, may actually be a more harsh punishment to the ego of some admins). :p

I hate seeing most anybody banned, even temporarily, as most of these little squabbles are stemming from petty behavior. However, if petty behavior is not addressed in the right way, it may turn into more egregious behavior...
    not cool!

<3

(yipes, my posts are rivaling AnnodynS' in length! xD )

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  5. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I think the admin that contacts us to reprimand a player is just an ass, and we owe him/her nothing. This may seem like a mean stance, but just humor me for a moment.

What is the scale of damage a player (or group of players) would have to cause for you to try to find and contact their home server?

I have never done this, and will never do this at any point in the future, because that server is not in any way responsible for the player's (group's) actions on our server. If they cause enough trouble to be permanently banned from Shade Crest, then that is the end of my interaction with them. They are gone.

The only exception I can see would be if our players were doing things that were actually illegal, like ddos, hacking their servers (not hacked clients), or trying to extort money. These actions deserve punishment.

I mentioned cano's server in that post twice, first explaining why your choice of words bothered me, second making a comment about alts getting the original account banned. You don't have to have those events in your head to read what I posted.
    I did read your whole post, and responded to it as clearly as I could. There were issues I had with every other sentence, and it seemed to make more sense dealing with them as they came up. The real heart of my post was at the end, which explained why groups acting outside Shade Crest should not be punished for their actions. So what if another server thinks we are attacking it! Shame on them for drawing conclusions. This is especially true if, as you suggested, the admin went out of his way to google the player name, find our server, and contact us. Ask yourself the question I posed to legend above.
    "I meant it reveals a side of you that perhaps hasn't been known in the past." This is still suggesting that the person in question that acts differently on another server is a psychopath. The only real place to apply this is when we have no opinion of a new player. Even then, we let players on with histories of spamming, hacking, and griefing, because the only thing that really matters is who they are when they are here.
    Finally, as I said above,
    "Staff are people too, and should just be themselves. If there is a destructive side to their personality, and they keep it outside Shade Crest for the good of our community, why should we punish them?"

trukklob likes this.
  6. trukklob

bottom line:

don't be a donkey dong :3

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  7. Legend9468

3 or 4 times I've been there when a player from another server has come to us because of one of our players.

1 of those times it was a youtube channel owner, who was credited with a grief on the creative server. They had been wrongly accused but people had gone to their channel and "commented" on it. It ended with us getting ddos'd for a few hours by them because people from our server were extremely annoying to them by accusing them of a crime they did not commit.

If you recall I made a thread straight after that saying please don't go out and do things like that and to let staff take care of it.

DeeeezNutz and trukklob like this.
  8. trukklob

That was an exception to the rule, and was dealt with appropriately. Good point, ole' leggy ^_^

9. ezeiger92

Everything I said was referring to Shade Crest players causing trouble on other severs. This is not the same as bothering someone's YouTube channel. Even then, it wasn't the decision of our player to cause a ddos, he probably didn't even know that could happen. Furthermore, we still aren't responsible for the actions of that player. The channel owner ddos'ing our server was just being a dick. If he wasn't at fault for griefing, and he came to me, I would just tell him he isn't banned and that player doesn't represent our server.
    Imagine he had not ddos'ed us, and we permanently banned our player. This would not put a stop to the channel owner receiving hateful comments, YouTube is outside our jurisdiction.

trukklob likes this.
  10. Legend9468

Actually, the circumstances are rather similar in the fact it was our players going out and causing trouble while it filtered back to us. Although I agree with you on the differences in actions, comments on a youtube channel are not the same as exploiting someones work and crashing their server.

And for the record, we did offer to unban him from our server for the grief when it turned out it wasn't him. He was having none of it and ddos'd us anyway.

I would also propose a vice versa situation. What if Can ddos'd us for 24 hours after the mob went to his server, everything else remaining the same. What would we do then, just wait it out and carry on as normal?

11. ezeiger92

And ban cano, yes. Outside of our server, Shade Crest isn't responsible for me, nor is it responsible for you, nor Nifix, sharqman, NMBr2d2, canopenertrooper, archenemy666, Liasha, PieSquared761, or anyone else! Someone ddos'ing the home server of a Mine Craft player for revenge is not the fault of that player. At all. Ever. Because outside of Shade Crest, none of us represent this server.

12. Legend9468

I feel like we're arguing similar points here. 99% of the people here are saying that outside of SC, you're your own person.

The suggestions for rules are trying to cover ourselves if we are held accountable for your actions. Please don't say that doesn't happen, because it does. What we're not trying to do is come up with a way to deal with it if it happens.

Our priority is to protect the server, that's why we ban people in the first place. If someone crosses a line somewhere else however, we need to make sure that none of it will come down on us again.

13. trukklob

Yes, we are arguing the same point... ^_^

Warn any "mob" participants against future infractions, deal with the dDos and it's originator, carry on with the game. Shadecrest is only responsible for the continuation of itself as an accessible server. With the exception of extreme circumstances like a dDos attack, the server staff should not have to meddle in the mundane details and petty arguments between disgruntled current or former members, and especially not non-members. Cano's situation was unique because he was an active member being targeted by other active members. If the "mob" had done the same thing to some other random server, we likely would have never heard about it.

If we protect ourselves too much, you end up with a server full of 3 bickering admins, hundreds of banned players,and nobody else... :D

dDos city foe realz :p

I feel that one of the reasons this server survives such incidents at all is due to fairly robust forum debates like this one.
    <3

*Also... I have no idea how a server is run behind the scenes, so take my opinions with a LARGE grain of salt, as I am not present during the clean up phase of any potential dDos attacks. I don't want to understate the effect of such things on the health of the server, as I am oblivious to the inner-workings of said things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  14. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Ok guys let me weigh in on this because I heard about it and just had to weight in and be an opponent to the irrational thoughts of some people in this thread.

First of all let's set up this scenario:

Server A (Random other server)
    Server A Staff Joe Admin
    Server A community
    Server A player Griefer Tom
    Server A player Cross Community Charley
    Server A player Psycho Steve

Server B (Shadecrest)
    Server B Staff Tom the Moderator
    Server B community
    Server B player Cross Community Charley

First of all, let's talk about losses vs gains of players or "customers" of Shadecrest. The only customer you are appealing to by banning or demoting Tom the Moderator who *might* have done something wrong on server A is a customer like Cross Community Charley who plays on both servers is aware that the Griefer Tom is a player on Server A and Tom the Moderator on Server B. In theory he could stop playing on Shadecrest because he feels a greater affinity toward Server A for some reason and puts his chips in fully with them in spite of this supposed disagreement over Tom.

Now let's get to the community. Let's assume that besides Cross Community Charley, there is no one or close to no one that is really cross community. So Server A community and Server B community are different communities other than people like Charley. Most players don't care about what happens on other servers as long as shit gets fixed on theirs. So assuming Joe Admin cleans things up on his server, most players won't care and go about their business. The only reason why anyone on Server A would even know that Griefer Tom is Tom the Moderator of Server B is because Joe Admin is a vengeful douchebags himself and demanding vengeance on Server B.

When douchebag Joe Admin doesn't get vengeance on Server B, then he could in theory announce to Server A that Server B and its community is filled with douchebags because Griefer Tom is staff over there. So far this is already getting into the realm of edge case scenario, but let's go further down the rabbit hole. In theory, let's introduce Psycho Steve. He REALLY loves Server A. He was griefed really bad by Griefer Tom many times and wants to both defend Server A's honor as well as get his own vengeance. Psycho Steve attacks our server with a DDOS attack or other white collar crime. Even in this crazy edge case scenario, Tom the Moderator is not responsible for Psycho Steve's actions. If anyone is to blame it would be Joe Admin, but it's not even his fault in all fairness. It's Psycho Steve's fault for attacking the server. It's he who would potentially face criminal action for doing such a thing.

TLDR Summary:
    If Tom the Moderator is an upstanding citizen of this sever, let him be as long as he does his job here.
    If Joe Admin wants to be a douchebag and make himself look like one to Community A, who fucking cares?
    If Psycho Steve attacks the server, press criminal charges on him.

You all have already wasted way too much braincells and too many resources on this.
    All you need to do is think about things RATIONALLY and it becomes clear what your actions should be.
    I will no longer be reading this thread. Good day.

DeeeezNutz, Dynodamon, Rem and 3 others like this.
  15. trukklob

lel... complicated :3

mah brainzzz :D

I think i agree with cyber's points? xD Again, sounds like we all agree. :D
    also... what up cyb? lol, you always look so lonely over there on /ultimate :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  16. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

You guys are always saying about this reflecting negatively on the server. Ok then, cano and his server (that no one plays on right now) hates us. Ok then, big deal, one person who used to play here doesn't particularly like us.
    The only negative affect this has had on shadecrest is the there are a lack of players because they were all banned for silly amounts of time or they have left as a result of the whole incident.
    As far as I can see, the people who banned them have damaged the server way more then someone like NMB or Mage who were involved.

trukklob likes this.
  17. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

This has now happened twice (that I'm aware of) in the 3 years of Shade Crest. Chances are if anything like it happens again, we'll have probably forgotten about this thread, so I'm not sure if there's really much of a purpose to most of this. Anyway, I agree with the point that what we do outside of shade crest is irrelevant, provided it stays that way. Someone here could be a member of Team AVO for all I care, as long as they don't grief or advertise shade crest.

Also, since once again the whole DDoS thing has been brought up, I think it'd be worth mentioning that cano barely did anything to provoke it. Here's a snippet from the conversation
    The guy was doing it because he was accused of something he didn't do for no reason, even though a) The accusition was rebuked, and b) there was very good reason to think he did it.

ezeiger92 likes this.
  18. Legend9468

The point I was trying to raise with it was that we got into massive trouble for a whole lot less than what occurred recently.

Can we agree that while mob mentality and exploiting stuff is bad, SC staff cannot act upon it unless the actions taken on another server result in severe retaliation by the affected party.

So for example, people go and wreak havoc on another server, people come and grief our server because of the other grief, then, we as staff, retain the right to take due action against the party that provoked the affected party.

This would mean that while we may be annoyed at you going to another server to trash around, we will not act unless it affects our server.

19. ezeiger92

Still no. If 'group 1' players from SC grief another server, they might get banned from that server. Whatever, it doesn't matter, we shouldn't care.
    If 'group 2' players from the griefed server comes back and griefs Shade Crest, it is not the fault of 'group 1'. 'G2' chose to try seeking revenge, even though admins from their server already banned and rolled back 'G1'.

Yesterday, Player00a decided to grief Shade Crest, and was banned and rolled back. But it bothered me so much, I decided to make him suffer more. I grabbed a group of 7 people from Shade Crest, and go grief the home server of Player00a. We are banned from that server (Server00b) and everything we did was rolled back. The admin looks at the situation and thinks "Hrm, 7 people decided in their own free will to grief my server... Let's ban Player00a."
    Wat. That makes no sense! Ban the griefing party and be done with it! It's not hard!

And with that group of players from Server00b, they are mad enough to grief, they won't care in the slightest if we ban Group00c. Because once they finish griefing and get banned, they are gone from our server. Forever. They were just griefers, they won't come back.

I feel like a damn broken record right now, but once again, Group00c does not represent Shade Crest, Shade Crest does not take responsibility for their actions, Group00c is not responsible for the retaliation of Group01d, Group01d is not representing Server00b, Server00b is not responsible for the actions of Group01d. All of these people acted in their own free will past the jurisdiction of their server, so it was only their fault. The 'trigger' party can't be blamed for the free will of angry people on the internet.

So no, we can't we agree that "SC staff cannot act upon it unless the actions taken on another server result in severe retaliation by the affected party", because SC staff cannot blame a group from our server for the actions of other people.

DeeeezNutz, Rem, epic_poke8 and 2 others like this.
  20. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Flawlessly stated, well done.