Brenthi Bombing (Potion of Harming 2 Spamming)

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by Rem, Mar 16, 2014.

?

Shoud this be DeBuffed

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Every single suggestion that gets made just gets brushed to the side and forgotten about, it seems like the staff don't care for the suggestions some of us make. We do ask for things like MCMMO skills to be modified and usually just get met with something along the lines of:
    "'"You all want free shit and blatca is a whore" This has come up many times before so no point even thinking about it, locked"
    I can't remember the last time anything I've said about implementing a change or plugin in to the server to make it more enjoyable was even considered. It seems like staff would rather joke around and have fun than work on improving the server, and this is what I can see being the cause of its downfall.
    Cyber is the only one I've seen recently who wants to actually do something to save a dying server, and this is why I think he is the one who should be running things around here, he knows what he's doing. I'm not trying to suggest that current staff don't know what they're doing, but while my mic was tripping out earlier I could hear Cyber giving a sort of lecture on how you should run a server, and it seems like he knows how things should be done :p.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

I have a feeling I know what thread you recently read...

3. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Well enough drama. I just want to know if there can be done change with this. Chances are it will get brushed aside but i just wish for it to be considered by staff. Please don't quote my post and go off in me. Just want a resolution

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

4. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

So no one did the actual balancing of mcmmo in the first place? Or coded in events? Or shadetokens? Or made the spawn?
    Or, you know fix any of the issues that you peoples complain about? Just because you don't directly see improvements to your personal game, doesn't mean they don't happen.

I agree on double drops, but I see very little in the way of anything else in mcmmo that people want changed.

As I've been saying repeatedly on the forums, nothing is done because of the community, not the staff. You all suggest outcomes you want to see, not the process to get there.
    I have no idea how many times now I've stated that in order for something to be done, we need players to do 99% of the work; all staff should do is implement your solution.

Final point, even if we take into account how unbalanced you seem to think this is, the poll is still a no at a 3:1 ratio.

5. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

Most likely, we will not be nerfing vanilla game mechanics. Hopefully that is a straightforward enough answer.

6. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Thank you for considering. Go ahead and lock this thread.

7. epic_poke8

May I change my poll choice?

8. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

In no way am I saying I am not grateful for all the staff have done for us and the server, it just seems like when something serious is suggested, it gets turned in to jokes and laughter.
    This brings me to another point, the communication between staff and players on the server isn't too great either.
    (These are all examples)
    If some one was to ask ndv to add a plugin or something, and he doesn't know how or if he can do it or something, he might forget about it and never tell anyone else. Making people think that you all just ignore our requests or something.
    And if you are in the process of working on something, then tell us! If you don't tell us then how are we supposed to know ? A lot of the time people rely on the staffs knowledge on fixing our issues or adding something in, a lot of people don't know how to do the 99% of work they have to do for you to consider our points.. Or sometimes we physically can't; say I ask random to add kits in for an arena, I can't do that be he can, and if he forgets or doesn't do it then I might think he's just ignoring me.
    And with the poll, rem asked completely the wrong question, instead of "debuff" it should have been "should something be done about their use in pvp" or something in my opinion.

9. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

It doesn't matter anymore anyways. From the looks of it a choice has been made

10. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of bitching about problems and then complaining that nothing happens, you can actually try and make solutions and come up with a process on how the solution would be achieved. I know, it sounds really tough, but I believe in you all.

ezeiger92 and Legend9468 like this.
  11. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Alright how about this
    1. You can't be invisible to Brenthi Bomb (not messing with Vanilla Mechanics)
    2. You must be in Combat with the person you are wanting to PVP (it can be a sword hit or a bow shot, but no fistrushing)
    The second one is kind of iffy because of how hard it is to controlbut i thought it would be good to consider.

12. Legend9468

Starting to get the right idea, just need a bit more depth in it. The major thing that you and others need to include is how it would be implemented, in a 100% ideal situation, the staff wouldn't need to do anything and just straightforwards implement the changes/pluggin.

Both of those seem to rely on player honesty. In what ways could we enforce it? and would not being invisible harm any other situations or mechanics?

13. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

To Legend's point I think it's better if the playerbase doesn't like something or it's imbalanced it needs to be balanced with a mechanics change aka a plugin or some kind of server side setting. "Rules" which are disputable like the ones you're suggesting aren't good solutions because it requires a judge to enforce them. Most of the time if we were to implement what you're suggesting it would be a he said / she said situation when it comes to enforcement. We'd have to have staff invisibly follow people to judge if they are participating in "fair" pvp. I'm all for changing server mechanics if it's possible, not so much in favor of rules which have large areas of grey area. I think most if not all of the staff would agree with that position.

Furthermore, if a system like let's say "potions" is too powerful, instead of nerfing it and making a mechanic pointless or making it "illegal" or something like that, why not implement other systems which will make PVP more robust and interesting. Then there is a meta-game within PVP. Instead of decreasing the depth of PVP, increase it by implementing more plugins which make it more interesting. Just an idea, I don't even know what options exist out there, but I'm sure there's plenty.

EDIT: Just an idea. Maybe there is a way to make damage potions on average less effective if you are wearing no armor or let's say some kind of metal armor, but MORE effective if you're let's say wearing leather armor and maybe if there are certain enchants on that leather, then it will increase the potency of your potions. So yes it's still possible for someone to be rogue like and use potions, but they will always die in a 1 on 1 fight. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, MORE mechanics which give it more depth, then you can reach balance because there is a meta game. Essentially more mechanics allows for a THIS counters THAT counters THAT, paper, rock, scissors, Spock, lizard situation. That kind of metagame in PVP works whether it's Magic the Gathering, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, or Minecraft.

14. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Alright. Let's say me and Joe are in the pvp world. Im all decked out and i decide to go walk around pvp to look for a good fight. Joe is not good at pvp. He notices that I'm in pvp and decides to attack me because he needs good gear to be able to become good at pvp. So he decides to brenthi bomb. He is potted up and goes invisible and is off to find me. I'm unaware of his presence and knows that as well so he sneaks up behind me and decides to throw his potions at me. He is smart and stays a good distance away and moves around to avoid my sword swings. Eventually he kills me and takes my stuff. Where i want to implement the rules Is when the action happens. The invisible part acts as no brainer plus it is a really wibbly wobbly move and we usually don't like that. The combat part is to alert the person of there presence showing you want to fight them, not attacking them randomly. Most likely if you get bombed you are mostly confused of what just hit ya (that's how I'd react). But with the second rule, this would cause more pvp to be encourage which is what has been trying to be implemented lately. With the trusting the players part i don't really see why someone would lie about that. You can tell for the most part if the person is invisible and you could tell if the person is near you if they hit you with a sword or fire a bow at you. Any changes to what i said?

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

15. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

Learn to fight better. Locked.

edit: nevermind, I needed to feed on your tears

treyman77 likes this.
  16. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

You offer a straw man argument.
    You say "Joe is not good at PVP"
    but he's good enough to be
    "potted up and goes invisible and is off to find me"
    He's also skilled enough to make you
    "unaware of his presence and knows that as well so he sneaks up behind me and decides to throw his potions at me."
    Finally
    "He is smart and stays a good distance away and moves around to avoid my sword swings."

What you describe is someone is good at PVP, just not the kind of PVP you are good at. You're good at 1 on 1 armored vs armored combat PVP because you rely on gear to make you good at PVP. He relies on stealth, cunning, and other skills which some are the same skills you use in PVP for example the moving around to avoid sword swings.

As to all the "wibbly wobbly" vs honorable combat vs whatever. Personally I don't think it all matters. I think the server needs good mechanics and things like honorable vs dishonorable combat works itself out in the end by the community responding to bad eggs. It doesn't need to be a "rule". You know what, in Molten we had 2 rules. Rule #1 don't piss of Liquid. Rule #2, kill Brenthi on site. The arguments you make might be valid, I understand your concerns over the balance of potions, but creating a behavioral rule is not a solution. I think this server already has too many behavioral rules. The rules should be more open and people free to do what is allowable within the implemented mechanics aside from abusing obvious bugs, griefing, or doing things which harm the server itself (like lag / crash inducing things).

waterpower1 and Nifix like this.
  17. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

I don't know about anyone else, but when I used to PvP, I'd have 3 or 4 slots on my hotbar dedicated to healing potions, some ender pearls, and then food/weapons. Testing in single player, I can see that one splash potion of healing II will allow you to survive 7 splash potions of harming that land directly on your feet. Just be aware of the strategy that some use, and be prepared for it. If you're not alert or ready for a basic strategy whilst wearing your gear that was super hard and expensive to get, then it's really just your problem of not properly preparing.
    Just for perspective, was this before or after invisible potions were added?
    Not really, even your previous suggestion received a serious response.

18. epic_poke8

Can I make a story? Pretty please? OK!
    So me and Richard are in PVP.
    Richard is, as his name implies, rich (and something else that we will go over later)
    I am poor, and can only defend myself with cheap tactics and potions.
    Richard always wears prot IV armor and carries a Sharp V Fire aspect II sword.
    I can only find one weakness: Potions.
    I decide to attack richard, he hits me once and I survive with one half heart.
    He dies and I get loot.
    Richard immediately goes to server forums complaining that what I did was cheap and OP, while he
    and his Prot IV armor and Sharp V Fire aspect blade are not.
    he get's really upset, and looks like a Richard when he complains, and will inevitably complain about this post.
    Did you like my story? Too bad, I liked it. Good night!

Magetime, CyberVic and DastardlyWhale like this.
  19. Legend9468

In response to Rem, because this is now turning into a lesson about critical thinking as well.

So, how do we enforce the invisibility part of it? And what is the inherent difference between this and using an OP bow?

20. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

I think we can all agree that this thread is done. The poll shows it, the comments show it. It's time to move on.

DastardlyWhale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.