Staff Application: CyberVic

Discussion in 'Requests and Reports' started by CyberVic, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Name: Victor Laurence
    UserName: CyberVic
    Timezone: Pacific USA
    Work schedule: M-F 8-5pm
    Availability: Randomly throughout the day during breaks, mostly in evenings during the week

Overall want to provide help to our staff with my 15+ years of community management, change management, leadership, and technical expertise. I wish to add a certain degree of professionalism to ShadeCrest, help fix issues with how we market ourselves, how the community is managed, and overall fix little things all over ShadeCrest that makes the server seem unpolished. This includes things like how our server is "published" externally, how we face the outside world, how the forums are managed, and various other things like that which are external to the Minecraft server(s) itself. Besides all that, I also want to add my experience and wisdom when handling disputes, guide how we write our policies, improve our wiki, etc. I will of course help out with other admin like activities which would be expected of staff.

I plan also on helping in more of a leadership role to other staff who need that kind of leadership and direction. I wish to help shape the vision of the server and come up in collaboration with others a long term direction, goals, goal setting, and plan for progressive improvement to the server as a whole.

Activity:
    Creative - Never been very active other than redstone collaboration, never a fancy builder
    Survival - Not active currently, used to be very active, co-mayor and then mayor Molten
    Feed the Beast - Very active
    Teamspeak - Very active
    Forums - Moderately active

Experience:
    VIP Member
    of Shadecrest community for several years, I can't remember when I joined
    Admin on Shadecrest Survival, primary engineer and designer of the Shadecrest scripted raid dungeon program which never got completed due to the implementation of hard mode
    Guild Leader of Hit it like you mean it (June 2006 - March 2013) - 25-man top 250 US guild in WoW
    Assistant Site Manager for Tabula Rasa Vault (Feb. 2008 – Mar. 2008)
    Community Feedback Lead for Tabula Rasa Alpha Wolf program (Nov. 2007 – Mar. 2008)
    Founder of Obisdian Shard (2000 - current ) - still one of the primary staff there and technically still co-owner though I am not active in that community - http://www.dxgaming.com/obsidian/
    15+ years experience as a Software Engineer, resume here: http://www.victorlaurence.com/resume

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

October 15, 2011

3. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

wait u work in Portland Oregon? or nearby

4. CyberVic

My office where my work desktop resides is officially in Lake Oswego, Oregon but I VPN and work from home in Happy Valley about 95% of the time.

5. TheTechGeek245

My mom grew up there in Lake Oswego and her parents currently reside in Beverton, but now we are in Texas :) Plenty of stuff to do here, but there is little for my preferred field of study southeast of Dallas everything is North, but she wants to find a high school with mainly "tech" classes. So now she wants to move back to Oregon.

6. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

Woah, I never thought you'd be from Oregon xD I was born in Silverton and used to live about 25 minutes away from Portland. Now I'm in Arizona really wishing we'd move back ever since we last visited Oregon.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Arizona is best long time

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

8. TheTechGeek245

Tejas is great but oregon is better in some ways
    AZ sucks half of it is uninhabited desert and the other half is drying up communitys

9. crazyboy162

crazyboy162 Active Member VIP

Well, it seems all we are interested in here is where you live.

10. hywzerboydy

hywzerboydy Active Member VIP

So back to the actual topic :p

I think you'd make a great staff member, only problem is the activity

Sent from my mobile cellular device

11. CyberVic

I'm active on Shadecrest basically daily. Just not on the server you might be on.

12. CyberVic

I have noticed that my application was moved
    from "General > Minecraft Discussion"
    to "Survival > Requests and Reports"

To be clear, my application is not to be a "survival" admin persay in case there was confusion about my application. Those who read my app would see that it is not specific to the Survival server. I just wanted to be explicitly clear about that in case those reviewing my application might get the wrong idea about my intentions. Please read my application carefully and understand what services I'm intending on offering to Shadecrest staff.

13. hywzerboydy

hywzerboydy Active Member VIP

You said you were not currently active on the server, that's what I meant.

Sent from my mobile cellular device

14. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

Don't think we're not reading this. Really, I'm just confused as to what exactly you're applying for here :p You say that you don't want to be staff on a specific server, because you're inactive (albeit FTB). So what is this an application for, forum staff? Every admin/mod in the community, after a consistent display of capability on a specific server, has then been promoted on that server. You play on only FTB, and were communally active only in TeamSpeak up until about a month ago (now the forums). You say you want to help drive our servers to success, yet you've been so inactive from the servers for so long that you don't even possess basic knowledge of how they now work (the other day in TeamSpeak, I had to explain to you how the worlds are set up, what the world move is, and where players are now living).

The way I see it, if you want us to really consider restoring your position in staff, you need take the first steps of playing on survival and creative, getting to know the current conditions and the social norms that their respective communities have established, and making yourself a real player again. At the moment, it would be catastrophic having a player like yourself who's been out of the loop for so long making changes to our rules and guidelines.

CanOpenerTrooper and Hez like this.
  15. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

To put it a bit less confrontationally, staff needs to be active on one or more of the servers on which the community is based. Those would be either the survival or creative server. The other servers' populations are mainly comprised of a limited number of veteran members and therefore do not represent the dynamics of the community. I have no doubt that you can handle yourself well as a staff member, but activity on the main servers is imperative for promotion.

Dman2416 and Hez like this.
  16. Hez

Hez Member

Yup i belive staff should be someone who is active, freindly, well known, and interactive with the other members. That's wat I'm aiming for. Not a person that no one has even heard of.

17. CyberVic

So last I heard there was several staff (and clearly players) in favor of my re-promotion but there was squabbling about the technicalities about how I would be promoted, in game out, of game, what rank, blah blah blah. Can I get an official update or should I continue on word of mouth or are we all just waiting on Max?

oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  18. Hez

Hez Member

So far we just been squabbling. Talk to Max and let's get this done with.

19. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

I think we are all waiting for what server you are looking to be staff on. You really seem to only play FTB. I don't know how it works there, but if you can be staff there. I'm all for it. You are responsible, reasonable, and polite. All great attributes of a staff member.

20. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

We?

But yes, the main thing is Max needing to do the promo on the forums. I haven't heard anything about "squabbling" about your promo to staff, it was the overall leader that people had a problem with. Even then, nothing like the debate that we had on your thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.