Mob Grinders

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by N2Mining, Jul 20, 2014.

1. N2Mining

N2Mining Member VIP

I am in Survival PvE and want to set up a Mob grinder for XP and Drops (Not Iron Golems or Zombie Pigmen). I know how to set one up, I am not planning on a massive redstone monstrosity, but rather one that probably uses water along with platforms to move mobs a long. I also plan to make it so that when i am not there that the mobs definitely die. Even though no one is real close by, I want to make certain they die (even with armor).

So I know how to make one, but I want to make certain there are no designs that others have found cause problems with lag? I plan to have them drop to a 1-2 shot kill spot, then when I am not present, have the drop increase to a definite kill and grab drops.

I am asking now, so I don't expend energy and have to overhaul it because its causing lag.

Thanks

n2glox2

2. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

If nobody is close, the chunks should be unloaded and you shouldn't have to worry at all. Just make sure your collection area doesn't end up with 100+ mobs in a 1x1 space.

We aren't worried as much about farms causing a low tick rate (the server is pretty strong), mostly the experience of players with mid to low spec computers walking through the area. If your farm starts causing trouble, we'll probably light up the area for the time being and then talk to you about unlagifying it (forums or in game).

There is no design that I know of that is inherently more lag-tastic than the rest, so whatever you do should be fine. For the size, keeping the walls within your render distance is a measurement. So, basically have fun with your mob farm!

Unlagifying is totally a word.

(This post was meant to make sense. If it did not, I was very tired at the time I posted and I apologize for my butchering of the English language)

3. N2Mining

N2Mining Member VIP

Thanks, I'll definitely have fun.