Changes Poll

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by PieSquared761, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Do you like the changes to the server?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Don't Care

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Pretty black and white, do you like the changes or not? No need to post opinions or anything, but there's no particular reason not to.

2. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

I don't hate the mob changes, but I love the mcmmo changes, it makes it much easier to level low stuff and makes high leveling difficult. I feel like the mob changes can use some tweaking to the numbers and how they work, but I like it overall.

3. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

This post is too vague. What changes are you referring to? We've had a lot of new stuff in the past few months.

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.
  4. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

McMMO/Salvage/Spawners

5. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

First let me begin by stating that this poll is inherently flawed. Of the active players, only a small percentage of them even visit our website frequently. Of those who do, only those who are upset will take the time to seek to complain. We also have a pretty active troll community who aren't active at all and will vote no, just to be a dick to me or ShadeCrest in general. The happy majority will just go on playing the game. This is something that is core to running an online gaming server / game / community. The squeeky wheels are always the loudest. You learn more about the relative happiness of your playerbase by listening to what the majority are saying and more importantly DOING in game. Which is why I personally don't like polls, because the majority of the time they aren't helpful.

That said...

Of the 4 players (or potentially more) who seem to be unhappy, I'm sorry that you are. I'm more than happy to sit with anyone in teamspeak and discuss like adults the problems you have with the changes and see if there is anything we can do to at the very least reach some middle ground. I have shown that I can do this with individuals who care to come and figure out what is unbalanced. I tweaked literally hundreds of dials within McMMO for example, altering almost every setting, even developing a custom XP curve. I am not perfect, I make mistakes. I'm happy to adjust things until I feel they are meeting the vision of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm happy to share most of these settings with you, compare them vs what we had a week ago and the McMMO default, and will be making a wiki entry explaining everything that is no longer default about McMMO.

This doesn't mean I'll tell you every little secret about everything we've nerfed. I don't want people to figure out loopholes, bugs, and exploit them. We will also be adding CUSTOM things to McMMO at the top end of every skill to make McMMO even more interesting than before. I know this might be an annoying consolation to someone like 86MaxSmart, but I'm sorry I can't cater to 1 or 2 people on the server, I have to build things to entice new players and build the community for the long haul.

I've been very clear since... oh... February when I took over the role I'm in about the changes I wanted to make. Maybe I didn't go into specifics, but I've been talking with players about it for quite some time. A lot of the changes were vetted with several of the active members of the community before I rolled them out so it's no surprise that the majority of the players are either in favor in the case of Rem, just simply don't care either way because they are lazzy little bastards.

Again, if you want positive change and aren't here just to bitch and complain, please get with me on a case by case basis about the change. Of the 4 people upset about changes, I know that Pie is unhappy about the "mob drop" AFK killing machine nerf, 86MaxSmart is upset about his inability to kill withers without fear of death and that McMMO skills are capped at 1000 even though before they did nothing after 1000+ skill, and I'm not sure who the other two individuals are, but like I said I'd be happy to work WITH you on coming to some level of balance that makes sense. Just complaining, whining, and bitching will get you nowhere. Maybe I overnerfed something by accident (like I did with unarmed). I am not max skill on everything, so most of my testing has been at the low end of the skill curves, and have gotten feedback from players at various skill ranges. If indeed the top end got over-nerfed, I'd be like I said, happy to adjust things.

Might I remind you that I haven't just walked around with a nerf bat and hit everything I could see. I buffed several things and intend on buffing more things in various ways. For example the low end of unarmed did receive a slight nerf, but the top end of unarmed received a major buff. Axes got a similar treatment. "Crit" abilities all got normalized so you at most have a 33% chance of criting even at the top end. Passive abilities cap in their chance of success at around 80% and activated abilities at the VERY most cap out at 95% chance of success (similar to rolling 1 on a D20, indicating a critical fumble). This is a pretty standard design pattern for skills in games. Some of the balance changes were done so that skills would also no longer be completely OP in PvP as well because I'm hoping at some point maybe I can convince people that McMMO + PvP is a good thing if it's balanced. My primary objective is of course PVE balance. You can't balance perfectly for both PvP and PVE, so I always keep PVE primarily in mind when tweaking things.

Furthermore, as I have discussed with several people already, I plan on making it so if you fish near the Fisherman's guild, you get 10% bonus McMMO experience. I plan on having other building like that around spawn with their respective Guild's XP increased. In these Guild Halls there will be NPC's which will give out quests for items, rupies, xp, and/or McMMO experience. Exact implementation to be discussed as we get there. The purpose of these "guilds" is to make Spawn a place where more players visit on a more regular basis to do things. More players there all the time means the community is seeing one another more regularly and that's good for community and builds the server's connectedness over time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    DeeeezNutz likes this.
  6. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

I actually for once read your whole post cyber. Bravo

7. Mega_Spud

Mega_Spud Active Member VIP

I vote: 'Too soon to comment.'

I_am_dropbear likes this.
  8. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

I vote this poll needs specifics

9. N2Mining

N2Mining Member VIP

I can't vote, because I like and dislike the changes. I like the MCMMO changes and look forward to some improvements. The mob grinder changes is a downer. I have a grinder, no spawner, and depend on those XP levels to enchant and repair equipment that allows me to do what I want to do, which is Build. I also spent hours building that Grinder (which I might not have) and now its nerfed. Now I can change the current build to allow me to hit them in a controlled way - before they drop. But then that just wears out my sword. It also takes longer.

I am not certain its going to be a huge deal, but it will slow things down. I have a good reserve of equipment, so I am wiling to try it out for a while and see what's happening.

Just my $.02. Not going to leave. Going to focus on Vanilla for a while anyway and then probably switch back and forth.

10. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

You should test the nerf, it really isn't that bad. Auto-killing afk farms were nerfed really bad, xp farms are still fairly effective.

11. CyberVic

The nerf really isn't really felt by anyone who isn't completely 100% abusing spawners (*cough* 11,000 drops an hour kind of bullshit *cough*). Normal grinders are MINORLY nerfed because you still have to kill mobs by hand. It's mostly the auto afk grinders that felt the nerf the most.

12. N2Mining

N2Mining Member VIP

Thanks ezeiger92 and cybervic for the clarification.

Look forward to the changes.

13. CyberVic

The changes (at least to spawners) is already totally done, has been for several days. Only thing we'd nerf more is if people figure out new ways of exploiting. More obvious cool new features coming, but in terms of nerfing stuff I think we're done with most of it. We're in implementation mode at this point.