Microsoft bids $2 billion for Minecraft

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by k9katz, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

start donating people XD

2. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

I have no money D: I would love to donate.

3. Slebert

or we can sell custom ShadeCrest brand Foil hats, only $100 a piece, get them while they last!!

GingerSwan likes this.
  4. GingerSwan

I'll stick to my rainbow mohawk wig :p

5. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Oh on the flip side, I bet Microsoft lawyers will have a field day with the EULA.

Microsoft doesn't mind at all that people make money off the backs of their product as long as it's something Microsoft gets a cut of. So likely they will allow for example people to "sell" resource packs and who knows what else through the Microsoft store. Money money money! They also probably won't care that people make money off hosting it because Microsoft will make billions off the Azure hosting.

DeeeezNutz likes this.
  6. GingerSwan

Honestly, Microsoft is getting to shit with money. Just be glad Bill's a nice guy. (Over 2 million lives have been saved by his donations to charity, and research, etc.)

7. CyberVic

Bill is no longer directly associated with Microsoft, you know that right? Hasn't been for quite some time. And yes, Bill Gates and his wife are amazing people that we could only hope others with money could aspire to be like.

8. GingerSwan

Oh, I didn't. I'm a derp :p

9. Slebert

could the EULA changes have been something Microsoft requested??

10. GingerSwan

[​IMG]

Dynodamon and hywzerboydy like this.
  11. CyberVic

Nah, the backlash about the EULA changes is one of the things that drove Notch to sell Minecraft if you read his goodbye message. Also if Microsoft requested it, it would have been a well written EULA not a few unofficial changes which where "implemented" through tweets. Technically, legally, the EULA still hasn't changed and won't change until there's a new legal document that people have to "agree" to when downloading the latest version.

12. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

13. CyberVic

I think the "more powerful development tools" pretty much confirms for me that they plan on migrating it from Java to .Net because .Net has certainly more powerful development tools than those available to Java development.

The "more opportunities to connect across the 'Minecraft' community" means that they probably plan on integrating it into the Windows Live / XBox Live service.

14. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

This is going to mean a lot of change all around. We'll just have to adapt as a community to whatever Microsoft ends up doing with the game, just like we've done in the past with updates.

It still hasn't been determined who from Mojang will continue working there, just that Notch, Carl, and Jakob (Minecraft's founders) are leaving. According to the latest update on Mojang.com, they "predict that the vast majority (if not all) Mojangstas will continue to work at Mojang for the time being." Hopefully Microsoft leaves them to do their thing for the most part, at least regarding the game itself, and keeps its changes to more back-end stuff like .NET conversion and the inevitable Windows Live integration. It only makes sense from a business perspective; after all, the last thing they want is backlash from the fan base they just spent 2.5 billion on.

For now, we'll just have to wait as more information becomes available and take everything a step at a time -- and pray that Cyber's theory isn't entirely correct.

15. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

.Net and I'm done.

16. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

I don't care what shit they do to minecraft but they better put a mod adapter in for .net

17. k9katz

k9katz Member

In defense of Notch's statements in the past though: about not wanting to be part of anything big and a disdain for big entities

He stated that he actually hadn't worked on minecraft in a long time and other people took it over, but he stayed in Mojang as a type of figurehead/symbol.

But.... he's now a rich mofo! and can now tinker on any number of failed coding projects and have it not matter to put food on the table. Good for him huh.

18. GingerSwan

Just focus on the positives, like how EA didn't buy Minecraft.

19. 2.5 billion dollars is an absurd ammount of money, I can't even. How would Microsoft even make that back, let alone turn a profit.

I wonder what this will eventually mean for things like FTB. Hopefully that all stays up and running. I won't pretend to know how ftb is actually tied to mincraft in some sort of legitimate way. They must be legally affiliated surely. Who pays who? cause ftb is free but theres definitely a ton of work in it. I wonder if MC pays ftb to do the work becasue it invites more people to play. Who is ftb even, theres so many mods, so many people working. Do mod makers get a cut? What if they get cut? Would they bleed out? Probably unlikely and it would just depend on the severity of the injury. If need be they can apply pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding. Maybe there should be bleeding in minecraft, like a super extreme graphical setting. And you would have to craft a mop to clean up your floor and windows and may need to replace your carpet because the blood stains will never come out and eventually they would go rancid and youll get sick and thats besides the point because why the fuck would you continue living in a home with dried blood in the carpet without doing anything about it I mean seriously what the fuck is wrong with you? On the note of mops I think an ironing board and iron are probably a necessity too considering the default skin has a messy shirt. How's steve gonna pick up ladies with his shirt untucked like that. A vacuum should be craftable too because moving all that material through the house has surely gotta leave some dust and grime around the place.

20. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

What ladies :p