My computer isn't running as fast as it should be

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by oiShocKWavesv, Feb 25, 2015.

1. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Specs:
    Ram: 8GB
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz
    I have a 2TB hard drive with 1.10TB of space free.
    [​IMG]
    (^^Is this an issue?)

My system shouldn't be having trouble running a game like CS:GO and a Google Chrome tab playing music at the same time. It's not so much of an FPS issue, but the games and music will freeze for half a second every couple seconds making them near unplayable.

If you need anymore info ask

EDIT: It seems like it's some kind of bottlenecking issue, so I either need to upgrade my RAM, CPU or GPU? (I'm thinking more RAM)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

Sounds like a RAM issue.

My specs are similar to yours.

Ram: 8GB
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti - 2GB
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 3.00 GHz
    1TB HDD
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.94GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.79GB

Also, I would recommend cleaning your HDD, that could help. Having a very full drive can slow things down.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Take a screenshot of what processes you have running or CPU usage.

Maybe you have a lot of bullshit running in the background. Your stats seem fine.

4. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

5. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

your available mem makes me think you have a lot of random shit running in your background. however you should also check your CPU usage, anything over about 15-20% usage on idle is a bit of a red flag

6. oiShocKWavesv

The available mem was a msconfig thing where it was limited to only that, now my available mem is up to 5.90.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^That is with one tab on google chrome open. The CPU usage fluctuates between 15 and 25. CPU usage is always 100% when running any game.

With my Available mem up to 6 the lag is reduced but games are still jittery. Even when watching livestreams of games they are jittery. while I'm playing CS:GO for example I'll have 150-250 fps but it looks like I have 30 with the occasional fps drop to 10 fps every few seconds.

7. oiShocKWavesv

This is while watching a cs livestream [​IMG]

8. CyberVic

What is Action, Lightshot, Kraken, Razor Synapse, FUCKING NORTON?!?!?, sigh anyhow I would review some of these crappy things you have running. I'm not sure what this Action thing is but there's 3 version of it running. Also Google you have like 10 instances of it. Are some of them crashed instances hogging up cpu / memory in the background?

Also, don't use norton, it's a piece of shit. If you're running modern hardware and latest version of Win 8.1, just use windows defender and don't download stupid shit.

Oh wait Windows 7.... GET WINDOWS 8.1 or Windows 10 technical preview!

Slebert and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  9. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

Seriously, get rid of Norton. Its not even an effective av program

10. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Basically Cyber's just saying to close any necessary programs on your computer, and see if they're any of the causes.

11. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

Can see multiple tabs open behind the top bar on the first image :p

12. CyberVic

Touche... touche...

Oddly enough my wife wonders why her computer runs slow when she has 30 firefox tabs open too. I keep telling her why, but it hasn't clicked yet.

13. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Offtopic, but was that a pun? (Probably unintentional)

14. oiShocKWavesv

It's not a problem of having toro much clogging my CPU, I close everything even going as far as turning off Norton and I still get the issue, can anyone explain why watching one live stream on one tab uses 100% of my cpu?

15. oiShocKWavesv

Also I don't like windows 8.1

GingerSwan likes this.
  16. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

Have you considered running something like ccleaner? Your computer may have a lot of unnecessary files gumming up the works. I run it at least once a week and it's definitely helped boost my computer's performance.

17. oiShocKWavesv

I have defragmented and cleared out unused stuff countless times now, I am 100% sure it's nothing to do with it being A: Too clogged up or B: Has too much open.

18. oiShocKWavesv

Action: recording software
    Lightshot: screencap software
    Kraken: Headset software
    Razer Synapse: Headset configurator

I have 3 tabs on chrome open and the task manager and my CPU usage is fluctuating between 30 and 100. I am sure there's something wrong on a much deeper level then my PC just being clogged up...

EDIT: There seem to be no processes using up to 100% of my CPU, it's just being used for no reason....

19. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

Have you tried it? Its actually pretty good. It may look different at first but you can basically ignore all the new stuff if thats what you dont like.

20. oiShocKWavesv

What benefits do I gain from having it?