Help Forum? +Lag Fixing Issues!!

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by mrtreefingers, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mrtreefingers

mrtreefingers Active Member VIP

I often come in here with problems, however I think that this forum is more for ideas to discuss rather than problems that require solving! This is (was) a problem and I just want to share my solution with everyone else. If this is the wrong forum, move me please :).

So I was having a lot of trouble with 1.7.3 minecraft. Once updated every 5-10 mins without fail I would have a huge lag spike which would drop my FPS from 100+ to under 10 (6-8). The FPS would remain 6-8 from 2 mins-10 mins and then it would disapear and go back to my normal 100+ FPS.

I run no HD, no fancy shmancy no nothin. No mods/plugins so I knew this had to be a code issue rather than an issue with my connection or the servers connection.

I was running windows 7 64bit and my computer is easily capable of handling minecraft so I had to go find a solution.

Right now my minecraft experience is seemingly better than it ever has been due to this modification someone created for those of us that experience lag problems.

Info for that MOD can be found

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-173-optifine-hd-g-fps-boost/

My FPS have drastically gone up, I dont receive the lag spikes. Im not sure why it was doing it but a guess is that my client was no refreshing/processing the chunks correctly - this in terms is what would cause minecraft to "Hang" for those minutes which seemed like a sustained lag spike.

So if you are having any issues with lag or lag spikes - or generally just want to increase your FPS - this mod is worth checking out.

Last Question: I have yet to check compatibility with spout. Any of you that know a lot about these things, could you shine some light on compatibility with the optifine mod? Thanks guys!

EDIT/CONFIGURE YOUR MINECRAFT AT YOU OWN RISK
    (im not a that savvy when it comes to these things!)

2. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

Thanks mrtree I was having issues with lag spikes but was able to to fix it with this post

Great job! :)

3. mrtreefingers

Great mang, im going to try to come up with general solutions to this problem.

Im still trying to improve performance.

I found out that most machines limit how much memory they allocate for java and java ran programs. If you increase this limit, assuming your system can handle it, minecraft will be alloted more memory to run (and it will utilize the ram on your system).

Max: Yes I used spout and messed with all the settings. It was in spout, at first, changing the settings is what I thought started this problem for me. So - I uninstalled everything (including minecraft) and started vanilla and the problem still re-occurred.

EDIT: My problem still exists unfortunately. Its very frustrating and makes the game unplayable. The thing that is frustrating the most is that I didnt use to have this problem, and it came up within the past week. I will post updates as I figure this out..

4. mrtreefingers

Heres a super easy tut on how to allocate more memory to java.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ZUDUg_EYw&feature=player_embedded

Takes 5 seconds.

5. mrtreefingers

Update:

Well, the last tut video I posted on how to increase the memory allocated to java has significantly helped, but not stopped the hangs completely. They are more managable now (it drops to 30FPS instead of 6-8)

When I look at the night sky I get FPS in excess of 650 (725 was the higest I saw). When I move, and mine my FPS never drops below 250 regardless of where I am.

So, I think when minecraft was running before it was requiring more memory than the system had put aside for it - and when it tried to get it it wasnt there thus causing it to hang up. Giving it more memory to work with seemed to fix this. I hope. Ill play the day and see how it goes.

6. mrtreefingers

I have the new 64 bit java for windows 7. I still had to change it so more memory could be allocated towards java.

I have 12 gigs of ram installed, I allocated 2gb to java and ill adjust depending on my results.

Also, ive heard the cleaning your system registry/cache files/temp files helps.

7. pyro5050

pyro5050 Active Member VIP

if you have 12 gig of ram and are a regular java user, i suggest increasing above the 2... those lag spikes you are experiancing are common when java is trying to clean its logs out... restart often and/or increase the mem for java... :)