Peaceful and PvP Reset: Feedback Appreciated

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by PhuzzYLogiK, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

First, I just want to say to max: this isn't intended as a coup on how you choose to run the server. I just want to throw it out there and see what people think.

I think the Peaceful and PvP worlds should be reset every 6 or 12 months. Please read on and reply with your thoughts.
    -----------------------------------

One of the reasons I joined this server was because the Peaceful and PvP worlds were never reset. I thought it would be cool to have the guarantee that what I built would always remain. But, having observed the reality of it, I now believe it hampers game play.

The problem is basic economics. These worlds are being flooded with resources (because the mining world is reset and therefore resources are infinite), but no resources are ever "taken out" of the game in significant quantities. Therefore, EVERYTHING from blocks to materials to rupies are continuously devalued (supply far exceeds demand, always). Eventually there is just nothing left to do, because you have collected literally everything. Minecraft wasn't intended to have an "endgame".

MY ASSERTION:

I think Peaceful/PvP resets would result in more vibrant trading, better communities, more new players, and more interest from existing players.

1. Trading: It's simple, reseting worlds = excess resources are deleted = more demand = more balanced economy.

2. Community: Due to increased trading, players would have to interact more. Further, after a reset, people would form new groups to build towns. This may include groups of people you just met over the past few months. The towns would actually be active because they necessarily couldn't be that old.

3. More New Players: I've gone over this in the New Member Retention thread, so I won't say too much here. Basically, since the towns would be being actively built, new members could actually feel like they contribute something.

4. Existing Players: We're on a survival server, but when you have so much stuff that you're essentially playing creative, it can become boring. I know people have put a lot of time into projects, but after they're done what happens? "Welp, I built my big project...guess there's not much more for me to do here." And they leave. Resetting would open so many doors. Ever thought, "Man, that was a lot of work. I wish I would have done some things differently, but it's too much work to change it now"? Wait for the reset and build it better! How about, "I really like my current town, but it doesn't make much sense to expand it further now. I'd really like to make a new town with a different layout." Wait for the reset and build it different! Resetting would allow for people to keep getting better, keep making new goals and projects, and keep things fresh.

MY PROPOSAL:

I do NOT think everyone should start at square one. Some people have put a lot of time into this server, and that should be rewarded.

1. McMMO levels should NOT be reset.

2. For a period of time before the reset (say two weeks), players should be able to sell uncommon/valuable materials for rupies (gold, diamonds, spawn eggs, some materials, etc). These rupies would carry over into the new world.

3. The VIP vaults would not be reset.

4. So now we have players with a whole bunch of rupies in a brand new world. To start, there should be admin shops that allow you to buy anything (everything from blocks to diamonds to any material). Since all the materials would be spawned in, the money from these shops would go to the "server" (i.e., get deleted). Therefore, players that put a lot of time into the server would get more rupies from selling materials before the reset, and would be able to buy more to start in the new world. After a time (a month or so), the admin shops would phase out as player shops are established.

Ta da! Resources are deleted from the economy by the reset. Money is taken out of the economy by the admin shops. Items can now hold value and the game can hold people's interest again.

Of course, some details would need to be worked out, such as the pricing of the admin shops. Or safeguards to ensure one person doesn't buy up all of something and try to make an early monopoly. But those are minor details. I'd like to know what everyone thinks of it as a whole. Thanks for reading!

2. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

When I first saw this I was skeptical of the intentions, however, after reading this twice over, you make a lot of strong and reasonable arguments.

At least in the past few weeks, when I get the chance to actually play, it doesn't feel like a survival experience. To the contrary, it feels like a harder version of creative. Why do we play? To build, create, or design? To work together and survive with each other? I feel thhat a lot of this has been lost due to the fact that we have had the same environment for over 1.5 years (and going strong! :) ), and many aspects have gone stale. Don't get me wrong, I love the worlds we have, but wouldn't it be great to reintroduce the real survival we once had. Let us together recreate an active environment where populated towns hold each other in esteem but with a burning rivalry. We have a lot of great members here on the server. We have some amazing possibilities. We can do the same things on the world we have, but I don't believe the impact would be as great.

This is definitely an interesting topic to consider. Please discuss.

3. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

If this does happen then I'd say give players without a vault 1 double chest to take to the new worlds so that they are not loosing everything while VIPs can stash all their goodies in their vaults. It would really such to see some builds go, especially ones that are still being worked on.

4. subwayis666

subwayis666 Member

The ore. I say we keep it on both sides, gets rid of the mining world/ blowing up guest houses which has been a problem.

5. PikaXeD

PikaXeD New Member VIP

Only allowing VIPs to keep some items seems unfair. Maybe a point system, where every player has a certain amount of points, and every item has a different point value. For example, everyone having 2000 points. You could spend those points keeping a diamond block (let's say that's 2000pts, but donors get more), or keeping 2000 cobble (1 pt each).
    Or maybe, if it isn't too much trouble, charge points for players to keep a building.
    My idea is in its basic stages, feel free to object/add ideas!

6. Cashkid32

Cashkid32 Member VIP

I like the idea of resetting the worlds. But what about really big towns? That's gonna stink for them having to start over.

Also, are you suggesting we lose all our money? No me gusta...
    Keeping items from your vault is nice. (man, I need to donate more :3)

A brand new world would be very nice. Undiscovered, easy to find resources. First thing I would do is go to the edge of the world again and hope no one finds me. :)

Maybe we could have access to the old world for a week or two after the reset. So players could get all there stuff.

7. k9katz

k9katz Member

I like this idea with the addition of sharq's comment of giving everyone the chance to carry over some things to start with, but maybe just one single chest for each player regardless of VIP status or not.

perhaps once a year do a reset like the one proposed.

(*problem of this next statement is where would new ppl join into*) Eliminate the mining world, if it can be, (at least while the new map is abundant in resources) so it'll make it more appealing to dig/mine in your new map area. *& cutting down on resources going into the economy.

I have idea's on how to make shopping more efficient & fair for everyone, but on a different thread.

8. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

Thanks for the replies all. :)

Well, ideally, NO resources would transfer after a reset. It defeats the intent of making resources more limited. Further, the more people take with them through a reset, the less they have to buy in the new world. So fewer rupies would be taken out of the economy.

The only reason I think vaults should stay is because people financially supported the server to get them and that should be recognized. If people with vaults would be willing to let them be reset, it would be even better. But it's not really my place to ask that of them.

If resets were to be considered, the first one should definitely be a few months away to allow people to adjust to the new policy. Then people could choose to finish projects now, or wait to make them on new land after the reset.

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate?

I don't think it would stink (points for rhyming? no? okay then :D) . Instead, resets would keep things new. Once a town has been built, it's hard to radically change it. So people go out and found new towns so they can build their own vision. The idea isn't to "start over" and rebuild the same town every time, but to try new things and keep the game interesting. Maybe one time you'll build into a mountain like dwarves, and the next time you'll build a resort town in a desert biome.

Actually, quite the opposite. I'm proposing you're able to convert rare/valuable items into rupies before the reset, and then keep those rupies after the reset. You could then spend the rupies on anything you want (everything would be spawned into an admin shop after the reset). The more money you have, the more you can choose to buy, and the less you have to mine to initially get started. Or maybe you'll choose to keep your rupies and live in a dirt hut to start.

Currently, rupies don't have much use once you have around 20,000+. The only thing you can really do is found a town or go to the chest auctions. The admin shop would allow people choices in how they start in a new world, and the value of rupies would rise because they would be taken out of the economy.

There should be sufficient warning before a reset that people would know about it and prepare. I would not advocate doing this quickly.

9. Thomasdd13

Thomasdd13 Active Member VIP

i think it answers certain problems, but i am totally against it. Arcadia was made by Mrtreefingers and other players who are not active anymore, and i would really hate to see 1+years of building, concentration and teamwork to go down the tube because people compalin over diamond prices. i've spent so much time building up the town that if everything was just wiped like no big deal and i dont have the time to make arcadia's build's it has now and not have builder's like mrtreefingers arounf to help it would be gameover in my opinion.

Plus, we have a decent server population now, but if what we had tried to remake towns and cool places it would look nothing like what it does now. Nothing. If diamonds and economy are an issue, take of enchants or just delete diamond's, that way there are less and a higher demand for them. as for survival, just go delete your /home and start over in the wilderness, give your stuff to someone. having it so some people keep things tostart over isn't fair even if they donated. For those reason's i'm strongly against this.

10. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

Sorry, didn't get to this part in my last one.

I kind of like the separate mining world. While digging around your town would initially be more convenient, it tends to result in a landscape that looks bad as people dig random holes down or chunks out of hills. Plus, having the mining world allows flexibility on resetting just that world (like currently), so if a lot of people join and start to dig through it, it can be individually reset.

I certainly respect your viewpoint, but I have to disagree with you. I know there are a lot of people that have built amazing things and then gone inactive. I think what they did is great, but why should we restrict the server to what was built in the past? Why should policies be based on inactive members rather than the people playing now? I'm not saying this because I don't like what they did, I'm saying it because I feel like that's clinging to the past at the expense of the future.

To be clear, this isn't about diamond prices, although the prices are a symptom of the problem. It's the fact that we have an isolated world we're dumping unlimited resources in and it eventually undermines the game itself, because survival revolves--at least in part--around resource collection.

I think we are going to just fundamentally disagree. :)

My idea is to shake things up, precisely so it doesn't always look the same. How long will people stay somewhere that nothing ever changes in? Wouldn't you play more if you were building a town with 5-10 other active players?

11. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

If people are going to be able to keep some of their stuff everyone should be able to.

How about towns can pay something around 5k per plot to get it moved to the new world, and normal players can get their builds moved to the new world for 10k per plot. Towns can only get the town spawn area moved for 5k, 10k for any other plots. This way players in a town can keep their homes so they choose. This will be something like the 1.8 move that was supposed to happen but never did because it was a hassle to do.

Also if we do this we would have to get rid of mining or reset it so people don't stash all their items there. Since we would have to give a long term notice 1.4 would be nice.

One thing I personally would want to keep around at least is the current nations. It took 200k to start them, unless that would be discounted to re-make them that would be really hard to get again. 100k or 150k would be a nice price.

12. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I don't hate this idea. I think resetting the server could be a really good move, but only if it is done correctly. A lot must be addressed and agreed upon beforehand.

First of all, I don't think resets should be a scheduled thing. One thing that draws people to a server initially is the the security of your builds. There shouldn't be any worry of losing your builds on a certain date. If we reset the map we do it now without preplanning the next reset, focus on the longevity of this new world instead. The map should only be reset in extreme situations where the vast majority of the server is in favor.

As far as what you keep during a reset, no one should keep items. The entire point of a reset would be lost if any materials are transferred over. Personally I think the less that people retain the better, but keeping nothing is likely to be very unpopular. I feel there are only two possibilities of things to keep: money and mcmmo skill. Allowing people to keep their mcmmo skill is obviously to favor veteran players upon reset. Allowing people to keep money would reward active players. Also consider some type of buy out for current towns so they can get a head start. Since it would be known in advance of the reset that the only thing of worth is rupies (in this scenario), people would of course stop spending money/trading. Perhaps have an admin shop buy certain items at a fixed rate to give people something to do until reset (ie buy all ores and have everyone go destroy mining world).

In regards to point 4 in the original post, there should be no shops selling items in the new world. I feel that this would once again ruin the point of start fresh. People can used their saved rupies to invest in a town with others, or else just keep it until player shops reopen for supplies then. Starting a new world with spawned items seems counterproductive. If you are wanting to drain money out, then don't transfer rupies over in the first place (again, not sure how popular that would be).

Now to answer the biggest question: Why would we do this? This would be about much more than diamond prices, which are of little concern. It would be about making the server fun again and creating new incentive. One look at the dynmap shows the rough shape of pvp and peaceful. The original half of each is an oreless rectangle surrounded by two different map updates. The server was amazing in the beginning, but minecraft has changed a lot since then. It would be amazing to see the sever redone in order to better fit with what minecraft is now. Let's face it, PvP is terrible on this server now. We could finally look into setting up a much better environment to play in. We could entirely revamp the rules/policies with everything that has been learned up to this point combined with the awareness of what minecraft is now and really do things right (details of that would be for another discussion).

Is this a good idea? Players will be lost. Older players may leave in spite of losing everything they worked for. Newer players may leave due to losing what they've just established. I would miss the old builds just as much as everyone else, but sometimes you just have to let go (plus, it would be cool to have the maps released, you can fly around and see the server in a new perspective). Despite the obvious drawbacks, a lot of good could come from this and we could truly optimize the server and make it better than ever. We could finally address the aspects of the server that simply aren't working anymore and really have the server be fun again. However, the only way this is going to happen is a lot of support from everyone. The finer details of the new world still need to be figured out, but right now we just need to know who is in support of a reset and who is entirely against it. I'm supportive of the idea, but only if we do so with the intent of making the new world last and reassess the server rules and policies (especially pvp).

salmon_flavour and Dynodamon like this.
  13. Thomasdd13

i just think it's a bad idea, so yes we disagree. and moving thing's over at a cost would only let people with a lot of money move huge amounts of things. just because washington d.c. is old and now as cool as new york doesnt mean they blow it up and make a new city. i like the idea of just regenning the ares that are abandoned or have nothing in them around towns. liekt he abandoned places no one goes to. i think that would be a manageable compromise that could be reached is just to regen the abandoned land.

14. The_Mexicans

The_Mexicans Member

I think we got a liberal here

Romney 2012

15. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

I'd say do a full map reset, not worry about any buildings and just open the old Shade Crest map up as a museum server.

16. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

I feel like this a LOT of work. Not only that, but it would cost so much money for the players. If the admins have to world edit all our builds to the new worlds, they would be driven insane. In addition, the cost would be enormous. And for people like me that have been on the server for a long time accumulating items and rupies, this seems totally unfair.

17. PieSquared761

In addition, the negatives to this outweigh the positives. Losing pretty much everything pretty much ruins the lives of people who love this server, and have been active for this long. The positives would be new terrain, possibly new players that would leave after they lose their builds. The negatives would be a much worse economy since every reset there are more and more resources introduced that people would keep in their vaults, a lot of work like I said in my above post, and a loss of many, many veteran players (like me).

18. Cashkid32

Cashkid32 Member VIP

I don't know, I like the idea of a new map, but veteran players who've put a lot into the server would be devastated. Veterans like me (who played a lot but never really did any extreme work) don't mind it.

What I like to think when deleting a save file on Pokemon (rarely happens) or Dragon Quest or something is, "Don't think about what you're losing, think about the future."

19. PieSquared761

What I lose is much more than what you lose, which is completely unfair.

Cashkid32 likes this.
  20. Thomasdd13

i agree with pie. for people who do not have much this is as easy, but people who put time thought and tons of work to make what we have now wouldn't stay or it would just die out. this is a waaay extreme answer to one problem, there are tons of other ways to deal with the issues we have, it just needs thinking and some patience. i also think this would kill more players than it would ever create. your obliterating all of what shadecrest has become to solve problems that are solvable otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.