Robbed in Peaceful

Discussion in 'Grief Report' started by SpigotBlister, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpigotBlister

SpigotBlister New Member VIP

What is your IGN? SpigotBlister

Coordinates of the location (use /getpos to display the coordinates X,Y,Z)
    x: -551
    z: -85

Is this on PvP or Peaceful side of the map?
    Peaceful

What exactly got griefed? Please be specific.
    Two of my chests were robbed.

About how many blocks were broken/replaced?
    Around 400 blocks were stolen.

Who did the griefing?
    Jediyort2, kacper

Did you talk to the player who did the griefing?
    They weren't on.

What did they say?
    N/A

Do you think they should be banned for this?
    With how much they stole, yes.

Did you include screen shots? (You must)
    Mhm.

Do you need an admin to come and rollback the damage?
    I just need the blocks back.

Attached Files:

2. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Stealing is not griefing and is only illegal if they warped there to steal besides using warp peaceful/pvp or a public home

3. SpigotBlister

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

4. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

I'll explain this,what he is saying is if its unlocked its free game. Only if they warped there is the only way it would be illegal. So a tip would be to lock your chests.

5. SpigotBlister

So if I made a warp to my house that anyone could use, it would be illegal - but them walking in my front door and stealing 400 blocks from me is legal? Doesn't that seem a little backwards.

6. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

No, if you have a public /home anyone can steal from it. If it is private then nobody can steal from it. If someone walked from the spawn zone of the map and stole from you it is also legal.

7. PhuzzYLogiK

PhuzzYLogiK Member

I think you're getting hung up because there are two different issues being discussed here.

The first issue is stealing. If your chest is unlocked, it may be stolen from. Plain and simple. This is why it is legal for them to steal (otherwise there would be no reason to lock chests and admins would go crazy trying to accurately return things).

The second issue is warping. Warps allow for ease of travel, but can be abused for stealing/griefing/PvP, so certain rules exist about what actions you can perform when you warp. So while stealing from an unlocked chest is legal, if they illegally used a warp to there, it can become an exception to the rule*. Public homes are not an illegal warp because it is each individual player's choice to make their home public, and they are responsible for the consequences of that decision.

* If you're familiar with the US legal system, this is similar to "Fruit of the poisonous tree." If you perform an illegal action, a normally legal action that follows can become illegal, because it is based on the illegal action. The legal action (the "fruit") is made illegal ("poisoned") because it grew out of an illegal action (the "poisonous tree").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.