Should I be an Architect?

Discussion in 'Architect Applications' started by Tar Guevara, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Should I be an Architect?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tar Guevara

Tar Guevara Member Creative Architect

IGN: targuevara

Why I want to become an Architect:

Although I haven't been playing Minecraft for a very long time and have only been active on this server since 11-27-2012, I truly believe that I possess the necessary dedication and desire to excel in this creative game.

I also believe that beauty and style are more important than grandiosity. Building "big" for the sake of building big does not always equal good design. I've seen some monstrosities that are so big that I have to fly above the clouds just to get a good view. Remember, the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci is only 30 x 21 inches. Just saying... :)

This is not to say that I'm reluctant to build something epic. As a matter of fact, I'm itching to build one! But as I said before, I won't unless the aesthetic of the design will be vastly improved by doing so. Having access to world edit and voxel sniper would help me tremendously in realizing "larger" designs. WINK, WINK, NUDGE, NUDGE... :)

Becoming an Architect would be more of a challenge and I welcome it. I'm looking forward to bigger and better builds in my immediate future. I hope that they will find their home here on Shade Crest. I've learned to love the camaraderie and playfulness of everyone on this server.

How long I have been on the server(/seen):

I started on the server on Nov. 27, 2012

Warps, Pictures, or Coordinates below:

/warp targuevara
    /warp redboat
    /warp mandarinhouse
    /warp dragonpalace
    /warp celestial
    /warp rockcity
    /warp formosabanquet
    /warp angkorwhat?
    /warp skydome

Attached Files:

2. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

Hey, tar-! (it's trukklob, yes- we have met on the server before, lol) In your short time on the server, you have promoted fairly quickly, and even though my vote doesn't really count, I think a few more "mega-builds" or "team builds" will land you architect status sooner than later, hehe-!

good luck, dude-

~trukklob~

3. Tar Guevara

Thanks, trukklob! I wish you luck on your app, too!

4. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, you're style is good i suppose but some of the block choices seem a little disjointed to me you may want to consider working on some pallets to work off for your next build. Secondly, although I do agree with you that a well designed build is better than a big build the truth of the matter is simply that we want both....a big build shows dedication and hard work and the detailing and detailing and detailing etc. is what can set apart your build. We are aware that there are some big builds that are not that great, but understand that they wouldn't have gotten architect status. In my honest opinion, although you do have talent, is that you are not ready for architect you need to build bigger, lay out the colours a bit better and add more detailing to your builds (all admins and architects will be willing to help you with this sort of stuff if you ask politely). I recommend having a really good look at builds that got architect status (/warp travel) and see if you can get some tips and tricks for them on how to add depth and layering to your builds. Other than that your builds are good, but are definitely deserving of your rank II level at the moment, just not architect yet. So to be clear, it is a no from me but good luck.

5. Tar Guevara

Thanks for your comments. I didn't mean to step on anybody's foot when I mentioned the monstrosities that I have seen during my brief time here on Shade Crest. It was simply an observation of mine.

I appreciate your recognition of my talent. Personally, I don't think that I'm that talented. I do work hard at learning new things and challenging myself with different projects. Some helpful souls on this server have helped me along during this past month such as Annodyns, Sioutdoors, and TheKillorX just to mention a few. I'm very grateful for both their building tips and assistance.

As far as my color palette is concerned, I intentionally experimented with different blocks for every build on my builders' plot. I quickly found out which blocks didn't go well together and which ones were compatible. Again, it's all been pure experimentation with its trials and errors.

If I came across as a pompous tally whacker by saying what I said about big builds, it wasn't my intention. Forgive me. I'm only here to get the valuable feedback and, if lucky enough, the promotion to architect level.

BTW, Merry Christmas to all!

6. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

You guys write the longest messages D: go write a novel or something O_O I will have to look at this when I get the chance

7. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

hehe, (pompus tally whacker-!) ...haven't seen that one in a while :D

8. Tar Guevara

LOL... :)

9. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

I agree with everything a360 said, I think at first glance, they have really great potential, good style, and I can see that with a bit more work and practice, you could become a really great builder. But I look at the ground, which is just one solid repeating block, and the walls which are also one block. There aren't any really small details that make me stop and look over it multiple times, which I really like to see in builds. Work on a better block pattern, also. I think with more little details, architecture, and of course making your build larger, it will be really nice. So a no for now.

10. Tar Guevara

Thanks for the feedback, Imaxorz.

The difference in building blocks were intentional on my part because I wanted to experiment with using various combinations while, hopefully, retaining their Chinese-inspired look. I agree with Lionfish about the repetitiveness of the ground (mostly mossy stone), but I was again intentionally doing that to replicate ancient Asian walkways which didn't have much detail to them thousands of years ago.

My next project in mind is creating a pseudo ancient forbidden city with successions of structures and walls working their way into the most inner realm where an emperor may live. It would have more consistency with its color palette and choice of building blocks.

As far as the diarrhea of warps are concerned, I guess I wanted to make sure that none of the builds got ignored. After all, I'm starting to encroach on my neighbors' plots which brings me to my next question. May I build anywhere in builder's world other than where I am now? :)

11. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I like your builds a lot Targ as you know very well :), but I am not seeing the detail I'm used to seeing in the arch builds. Just my two cents. :) It seems to me that you would need a lot more depth and a lot more detail to get to that next stage. By the way, realism is one thing that has stood in my way in the past. Frankly.. in minecraft you can start with realistic.. but to get real dimension.. you have to take it a step further ( somewhat unrealistic details) to get the depth that a texture on say a wall or floor or support in real life would have.

12. Liasha

Liasha Member Creative Architect

You have potential, but not quite there yet.

Tar Guevara likes this.
  13. Tar Guevara

I agree with you now that I've visited /warp travel as recommended by A360P. As a matter of fact, I'm trying some of the depth and layering on my latest build /warp skydome. Come by and see whenever you have time.

AnnodynS likes this.
  14. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

i think your getting close but the small details anre just not there. Like the walkways (which your working on) landscaping ambient lighting not over light you know the small stuff

15. Tar Guevara

Siout, thanks so much for the tip earlier last night. You gotta see what I've done so far. I'll post pics here when I get home from work. It was a fruitful night for me at work. LOL... :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback and even the naysayers to my arch promotion. You've all enlightened me on what's missing with my builds and have further inspired me to become a better builder.

16. TegAshLar

TegAshLar Member Creative Architect

I think you have lots of potential but, what I see here doesn't really seem to be at the architect level, I think you should build something bigger.

17. Tar Guevara

I'm starting to see that way, too. Thanks for your recommendation. However, I will improve on my present builds until I feel that I've exhausted every detail possible that can help improve them. Only then will I begin on a single ginormous structure complete with detailed architecture.

Here are some of the improvements that I added last night:

> added depth & details (even hidden lighting) to the mossy stone walls/bridges
    > added depth & details to skydome build
    > added hidden glowstone lighting here and there for better illumination

Thanks again everyone who took the time to review my builds onsite and provide me with constructive criticism. Hopefully, I will see you all again soon for my second attempt at architect promotion.

Attached Files:

18. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

It's not much, but it is a step in the right direction. I suggest talking to Si about general structure and use of depth, Killor for adding detailing with stairs and slabs and if you go to (ready for the cliche) warp Peter and warp Liasha as well as a few others and examine every tiny detail and try to replicate them in a test world and then begin to take the techniques you learn in and make it to your own style then you should be good to start on an arch worthy build.

My main tip however is to not rush at promotion, good things come to those who wait, and I suggest you wait until a few people who are architect status or admin status begin noticing your builds and start to get more involved (If one of us begins mentoring you/giving you tips then you will learn allot very quickly, I have seen it first hand). Anyways good luck again and hope to start hearing more of you from the other players ;P

19. Tar Guevara

Thanks, A360P! I have a lot to learn, but just had to give this promotion a try. I really felt that I had an architect-worthy build with my "Little Chinatown". Everyone who has seen it on the server had nothing but praise for my builds and I let it get to my head.

Maybe it's time to step back and think about how to better approach my next build. I've been going hard at it for almost a month trying experimentation after experimentation and could use the rest. I'm still fairly new to this game and could use some more practice. I think I'll play survival for a change. LOL... :)

20. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

I still think that you should start a new larger project. The ones you have going are good, but there are too many single repeating blocks, glowstone, and a bad choice of a block pallet. I think you need to start something new and large. Go to /warp travel and look at the architect builds, something like a360 said. And take your time deciding everything! Carefully pick out the blocks you will use, the floor patterns, the template, and make sure to not over use one block, especially if it is a patterned/textured block. I think one large really nice build may sway some opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.