Server Reset

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Magetime, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

So a lot of you may know with the new FTB update which hasn't come out yet its a very high chance that we will have to reset. We have no idea if we will have to but it's a high possibility.

2. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Really? Will this occur every time there is an FTB update and how often does this happen?

3. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

The next update will hold for 6 months, and Erik is going to hold a vote for if we should reset or not. It has been put forward that we update the server every other major update, this will give developers time to release conversion tools (which I know for a fact are currently being worked on)

4. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

What is this post... -_- Of course it may possibly get reset. It's only a matter of whether someone codes an item ID conversion since the mod-makers have heavily switched around all the IDs.

Hizeron likes this.
  5. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

Why would we reset? We don't have to reset, slowpoke101 is making a converter which should do about 95% of the work. The rest is apparently manual cleanup, which will pretty much be the rotation of objects (eg. fix wiring, machines) and maybe machine's contents.

This is has been mention heaps and heaps in feedthebeast's subreddit

Edit: I think this is probably talking about it (3:00)

What gets covered in the video

QuietSea likes this.
  6. majestic_moose

QuietSea and A360P like this.
  7. majestic_moose

Will we be updating to the ultimate pack in 2 days when it's released? Dynodamon

8. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

We don't know for sure yet. Ezeiger92 and I thought the best course of action would be to wait till it is out, see what is available, and then if needed hold a vote.

From my research I have discovered that FTB is planning to have the option for servers to make their own custom mod packs for their servers. They would receive something like a hash code that players would put in to download the correct mod pack.

This means that we could potentially control what we receive for mods, but I am unsure how the item id's will fare during this.

There should be something to switch over the item id's and save our world if that is what we decide, but IF there is no way to save our world we will have no choice but to reset.

Bottom line: We are not sure yet, but we currently plan on holding a vote.

Look what happens the one time I decide to go to sleep. The map gets reset. :p

9. majestic_moose

Hiz, it has reset. Unless this is a temp map?

10. Hizeron

Hizeron Active Member VIP

Not sure what is going on, but I just logged in to see the reset and hopped on here to correct my post lol.

Edit: looks like the map was corrupt and we could not save it. We are currently using mindcrack from the FTB launcher. No portal guns or mystcraft but looks like everything else is there, with more additions :).

11. Liasha

Liasha Member Creative Architect

I wouldn't mind seeing those come back. Primarily the latter, so we can go dig up temporary ages for resources instead of leaving hundreds of quarries all over the original map. :rolleyes:

Since we were facing the possibility of a reset anyway, might as well run with what we're stuck with now and hope we can keep it for the long term. I'm sure nobody's happy about having to start over, but all we can do now is make the most of it. :(

A360P likes this.
  12. A360P

Yep, I don't mind starting over let's just say it was a test run. However, I agree with Liasha that quarries are ugly as anything. Maybe we should have a rule that you either have to cover the quarry and plant trees/terraform the area after a quarry is done or you can only start them underground. Also, it would be nice to be able to get mystcraft back, is there another way of transporting items around?

13. majestic_moose

Mystcraft is in the ultimate pack. The mindcrack pack is supposed to be a harder version of ftb I think, so things like gregtech is tweaked to be harder, and other mods left out.

Ultimate pack will solve all the quarry problems hopefully

14. A360P

I guess we can use enderchests....or are teleport pipes included in the mindcrack modpack?

15. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

So are we sticking with mindcrack? and having no mystcraft?

16. Let's hope not, I had my town's age going pretty well before the reset, I mean, losing it is one thing, not being able to recreate it is another.

I mean, I probably won't rage quit the server, but I'll just be really annoyed :p

17. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

To give a quick recap, the map corrupted last night and investigation led us to believe that it was as a result of the portal gun mod. As a result, we decided to move on with tentative plans to Mindcrack. Though I would love to wait for the ultimate pack, slowpoke of FTB posted today that the ETA on the Ultimate pack is still unknown and that they are waiting for quite a few updates and testing to occur. So, we are with Mindcrack now. The major differences with the pack we have now and Mindcrack is that Mindcrack is updated to 1.4.6, however, it lacks both mystcraft and portal gun. I hate to lose these plugins, but considering they are the largest cause of lag/problems on the server, I'm hoping that it will benefit in the long run.

Here are the plugins associated with Mindcrack. I'll try and update them with wiki links when I get the chance.
    • Advanced Machines
    • Advanced Solar Panels
    • Buildcraft 3
    • ChickenChunks
    • ComputerCraft
    • EnderStorage
    • Extra Bees
    • Extrabiomes XL
    • Factorization
    • Forestry
    • Gravitation Suite
    • Gregtech (Hard recipies)
    • Industrial Craft 2
    • Iron Chests
    • MiscPeripherals
    • Modular ForceField System
    • Not Enough Items
    • Nuclear Control
    • Obsidian Pressure Plates
    • OmniTools
    • Petroleum Generator
    • Railcraft
    • Red Power 2
    • Rei's Minimap
    • Soul Shards
    • Steve's Carts 2
    • Thaumcraft 3
    • The Twilight Forest
    • Thermal Expansion
    • Traincraft
    • Wireless Redstone-CBE
    • XyCraft
    Thanks for understanding. I sorry this hard to happen, but the situation got taken out of our hands with the map corruption. As far as I'm concerned, we won't be changing modpacks for quite a while (if ever). This is stable, and though absent with a few cool mods, it should be best in the long term. I'm no expert, but i'll answer questions as they arise.

18. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

Also, to play on the server, you are going to need to download the "Mindcrack" pack. The process is very easy. Just open up the FTB launcher, look on the left hand side for the mindcrack pack, and then hit launch. It will do everything else for you.

19. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I'm gone for 5 days and you guys cry the map? What the hell, haha. I'll be back sometime tomorrow

A360P and Dynodamon like this.
  20. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

lol well this doesn't suprise me, i do what dyno said to do and it says its down lol