Reds stone wizard please.

Discussion in 'Help Wanted' started by TheyCallMeEmana, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TheyCallMeEmana

TheyCallMeEmana New Member

At the warp buildcontest, directly across from the warp point, I would be pleased for a red stone clock. You see, I want to have mini build contest, that last 10 minutes. I wish for a clock that countdowns from ten minutes ( having seconds on the clock would be nice too:) after you may complete this task, please place a red wool arrow pointing to where the red stone source ( aka button) should go. I would appreciate your help...
    ~emana

2. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

lol i'm sorry but i think a giant countdown clock like that may lag the server pretty badly...why not just do local chat updates and time it yourself with a timer?

3. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

As quiet said, a REDSTONE clock would cause too much lag. Would it be ok with you to set up another type? I suggest a dispenser one (shoots an item into a water stream which carries the item to a pressure plate, actervating the next dispenser).

4. TheyCallMeEmana

Yeah I guess that would lag this great server, but I like the dispenser idea. I thought dispensers were blobked though?

5. Wicked_Walrus

Wicked_Walrus Member

uhmm... i think he wants one that shows the countdown...

6. TheyCallMeEmana

Yes, I do want a countdown, good point, maybe I could hook red stone up to the plates to have a timer that activates lamps

7. Wicked_Walrus

Wicked_Walrus Member

8. TheyCallMeEmana

I think I might beable to do the dispenser idea myself

9. QuietSea

Ding ding ding! Waterpower got the wrong idea. A countdown clock, as I said, is going to lag the server. a basic redstone "clock" system does almost nothing as long as the ticks are pretty slow

10. Wicked_Walrus

Wicked_Walrus Member

well... lost of easy compact versions...
    if you want a countdown guess you'll have to learn fast ;)

11. Wicked_Walrus

Wicked_Walrus Member

and using the "5 minute" entity despawn on a pressure plate is a lot less laggy too quiet

QuietSea likes this.
  12. TheyCallMeEmana

Have you ever seen the video for the map "the walls?" I want that kind of red stone clock

13. Wicked_Walrus

Wicked_Walrus Member

i have seen that map... and see if the creator has a video (sethbling i believe)

14. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Redstone doesn't cause lag, only pistons and lighting updates. In the case of a 10 minute timer, the most you'll have is four 7 segment displays (which use either pistons or lamps). There is no risk of this lagging the server with something of that size, only the small possibility of lagging someone's client if they get poor frame rate to begin with.

I've never actually made a count down timer. I'll mess with the idea. I know that the most compact versions use piston tapes for memory and lamps for the display. If this causes lag for people, you may a less space friendly method.

QuietSea likes this.
  15. QuietSea

There you have it; the wise one has spoken :D

16. TheyCallMeEmana

17. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

well if you have the timer setup right there should be no lag, on my server someone made a redstone timer that went by seconds and there was no lag at all