targuevara's second attempt

Discussion in 'Architect Applications' started by Tar Guevara, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Should I be an Architect?

1. Heck Yeah!

100.0%
  2. Sorry, Dude... :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tar Guevara

Tar Guevara Member Creative Architect

Guess who's back swinging again at that illusive piñata we endearingly refer to as the architect level application.

In addition to my first series of Oriental style builds at /warp littlechina, I have finished my latest and most ambitious build to date at /warp godzilla. I decided to build near the end of the world for the godzilla project. There wasn't enough land so I had to manually add land mass in order to fit the structures, trees, and miscellaneous landscaping accents.

Below are some pics for your immediate reference.

IGN: targuevara

Why I want to become Architect: I won't stop until I get this title! LOL. But seriously speaking, I truly believe that I have the insane addiction to building creatively and learning new facets to this crazy game! I blame it all on my baby daughter who had me download the game some months ago. :)

How long I have been on the server: I have made my presence felt on the server since 11/27/2012.

Warps, Pictures, or Coordinates below:
    My builds can be found at /warp little china and /warp godzilla.

Attached Files:

2. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Ur a maniac it's a yes from me ;)

3. Tar Guevara

Thanks, Quiet! Maniac is a good word. Right? LOL.

4. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

It's a yes from me. Although little china feels like it lacks a bit of consistency between builds; godzilla more than makes up for it.

5. Xenii

Xenii New Member Creative Architect

Ess very nice! I like the block variety. Yeees.

Tar Guevara likes this.
  6. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

godzirra come to stomp on Tokyo. sorry cant help my self. Anyway this is what I was waiting for from you its a yes

Tar Guevara likes this.
  7. Tar Guevara

Siout, ur engrrrrish is berry bad... LOL :)

8. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

I'm still a little skeptical of your block choices but only really on a very close inspection. However, you worked very very hard on this build and it does look good. I'll give you a yes on the assumption that you will improve and learn a bit more. Good Luck.

Tar Guevara likes this.
  9. Tar Guevara

Thanks, A360P. I agree with you on the improvement part since I'm still considered a noobie to this game. There's always room for growth and I'm SpongeBob for anything Minecraft at this moment. As long as my 14 year old son and 11 year old daughter (along with their friends) are still feverishly engaged in this game, so will I. Come to think of it, I may outlast their interest in the game. LOL.:)

BTW, you need to help support the Survival server by playing there once in a while. I'm learning a lot from my kids about brewing potions and using redstone. I'm thinking of incorporating redstone, repeaters, pistons, and redstone torches on my future builds on the Creative server. I can't wait! :rolleyes:

10. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

I really like your builds, I think they have good details and skills put into them. Although i'm not a huge fan of the glass domes, I still say yes :)

Tar Guevara likes this.
  11. Tar Guevara

Thanks, Lionfish!

12. A360P

One thing I forgot to mention is that your builds lack a dynamic element. Next time have a play around with that, make it your next challenge. If you aren't quite sure what I mean I'll be happy to elaborate.

13. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I agree Legend about littlechina feeling a bit inconsistent between builds, but the individual buildings themselves are very nice and the theme is very cool. I also really like how godzilla has turned out. The scale is good and I think the style and color scheme go quite nice together. I'm personally not a fan of the all mossy walkways at both of the warps, but this would be a small thing to change and improve.

Overall I think this is some great work. It's a yes from me.

Tar Guevara likes this.
  14. Tar Guevara

I'm not quite sure what you mean, A360P. Could you point it out on one of your builds? I thought that adding both flowing water & lava in Godzilla gave it a certain energy flow - dynamics.

Thanks, Z_Milla! :)

15. A360P

Ok, so the problem with builds nowadays is that they lack a dynamic aspect that is once you get through the more simple concepts of shape and depth (and a few others :S). Anyone can make 'x' build or 'y' town, this doesn't make them bad but they just don't stand out enough from all the other 'x' builds and 'y' towns. A dynamic element is something that adds organic lines to your build. You can tell the inorganic lines in MC because they cast a shadow along their edge, the more this is not apparent and or broken up the more organic the shape. A dynamic element doesn't have to be, like you said, water or lava (this is a simple form of dynamics) nor does it have to be an organic build in particular (e.g. a dragon or statue of sorts). A dynamic element brings movement to an otherwise static build. for example, it you build 'y' town in a jungle biome, you could have an airship that has flown too low and is being dragged down by vines which you could make out of leaves and would show direction of the ship. Again if this still baffles you I can go on, but these are the basics.

I haven't actually had the time to add dynamics to build builds recently, but I have been playing around with organix in any spare time that I have had. a simple show of dynamics is Xenii's ragnorak build where he has the thrusters actually spewing out fire and lava.

Good luck :)

16. Tar Guevara

Thanks for explaining. I went to see Xenii's Ragnorak and saw what you meant by dynamic.

I really like how he/she incorporated flowing water at the tunnel-like entrances. I regard that element of his/her build as being more dynamic than a figurative interpretation of thrusters spewing out fire and lava. The water engaged me, the viewer, more than any other element in this particular build.

I would like to include elements that will force the viewer to interact with the architecture for my future builds. These may include flowing water, lava, pistons, levers, pressure plates, etc...

Either way, many thanks for continuing to point me to builds that I've never seen before. They inspire me to become a better builder. :cool:

17. Xenii

Xenii New Member Creative Architect

Ah, I see you are referencing my 'force fields' type thing. Ill try to keep it on topic, but when I judge a build, I look for practicality, so 1) If it's a path or a room or a house, it has to be of a size that suits it's purpose(so make a path that doesnt feel cramped) and 2) Put things into your build that would suit it / would be required. so on my ship, since it's a ship it needs to have closed entrances, and that's what the 'force field' does to that, gives it a pseudo closed feel)

Tar Guevara likes this.
  18. Tar Guevara

Just wanted to update all of you on my latest project that I started on the 19th. I'm using quite a bit of redstone and redstone lamps for lighting. I've also chosen a completely different selection of blocks from the ones I used on Godzilla since I chose to build it in the desert. Here are some preliminary pics from /warp mongolia.

Attached Files:

19. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

Targ xD It's a yes from me. I think you could do more with your walls in terms of detail (sorry but it's my favorite part of an arch build) but it's all amazing!! and you've done a fabulous job. I agree with all the commentary above. You will only get better as you continue and I can't wait to see what you think up next. :D

I mention the walls only in that the row of blocks for the walls on the second warp Godzilla are pretty uniform though very pretty and well done. If you are wondering what it is I am thinking of you could look at Siout's MountAire not sure that's the correct spelling.. at his towers.. but I love your work and think it's Arch level. No question about that. xD

PS. Your newest build Mongolia is captivating and more along the lines of what I was thinking in terms of more depth and detail on the walls. I know.. it takes a lot of time. :) When you get Arch :D you will be able to use w.e. and voxel and then.. wow!

Tar Guevara likes this.
  20. Tar Guevara

Thank you so much for your vote, Anno! You and Siout have been beside me since I started building back in late November of last year. I wouldn't have been able to get where I am today without your valuable input. Your stamp of approval means a lot to me. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.