Pixel and redstone building rank

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by Lionfish12, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lionfish12

Lionfish12 Active Member Creative Architect

I was thinking that it would be really helpful if we had a separate pixel builder and redstone builder ranks for guests who don't exactly like building houses and just want to specialize in redstone and pixel art. We have both a redstone and pixel art world, but you need to get builder to build in them.
    I've had a couple guests who just built a statue or something out of redstone and when I say they won't get promoted for just that they get disappointed and don't want to make a building or something architectural.
    When I first joined the server I seemed to be like you had the option of being a pixel artist, redstone builder, or just a builder, but we pretty much only promote builders and everyone has the title of builder.
    If there were these ranks they would only be allowed to build in pixel or redstone world, which ever they are ranked into.

It would add some diversity in the server and would be really nice for guests who only make pixel art or redstone. I don't know if this has even been implemented or thought of, but I just thought it was a good idea.

Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place. xD

GaNdalfDaGray and Z_Millla like this.
  2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

I agree on some level with this, we have people coming onto the server asking where can they redstone or do pixel art, and we have to turn around and tell them they can't, 'till they get Builder II (According to the Wiki).

3. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

This isn't a bad idea, but we would need to develop clear standards for it.

With redstone there are a lot of well known circuits and builds that anyone can watch a video and make with no knowledge as to how it works. If we were to promote redstone plots, they would need to display clear understanding of redstone and somewhat practical application of it. There would also need to be a list of things we simply don't accept as again, there are a lot of copy and paste builds in redstone.

With pixel art, I really have no idea what standards you would use. Again, there are a ton of duplicates in pixel art, so I suppose a push for uniqueness would be good. It would also need some type of quality/quantity scale.

The best part about this idea is the permissions are really straightforward. Redstoner and Pixelartist (or whatever the rank) would both be below builder and only have access to their respective world. At any point in time they could reapply for builder and gain access to more worlds.

Legend9468 and Lionfish12 like this.
  4. Lionfish12

I was thinking the exact same thing

I think redstone would be the hardest to judge on, and I honestly see more pixel art people than redstone. I honestly know nothing about redstone, so I wouldn't be able to tell if someone knew how to do it or not. xD

I feel like pixel art would be easier though, if they make a sword, creeper, player statue, it won't get promoted, but something that takes more effort and you can clearly see that they didn't just copy an item or image online would be good.

5. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

It does seem like a good idea, although as always there are reasons for and against, I don't find many(if not any) good redstone contraptions in plot world, and most pixel art can be copied of the internet (unless 3d I guess). Perhaps in the new update we will see more redstone stuff popping up, but atm, I feel its not quite worth it, for the one or two people who will have it.

6. waterpower1

waterpower1 Active Member

How about it becomes a tag, not a rank? All that would be is a small red letter r or letter p to the left of the persons name. This tag could apply to any rank, admin included and will show guests that these people are the ones to look for help redstone/pixel wise.

7. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

It would be a good idea, but how many people do we honestly get who would be good enough to get these ranks. If we have a rank for redstoners, it would only be the one rank so they would have to be good as they are set out from the rest of the builders and the only good redstoner I have seen is Z. As for pixel art, just like Pie said, the only pixel art that is any good is 3D pixel art (which is essentially organics and therefore separate from the pixel art world ideally) the rest is just directly copied from the internet and does not require skill just patience. Basically I think the way it is set up now is fine.

8. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

^ I'm kinda in favor with that, redstone world is actually useful, but pixel art is mainly 2d images, that I see everywhere on the internet. If this does happen, can we make a new ./warp testarea in the redstone world? Its pretty useful. :)

9. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

It'd be cool if we had a flatworld for just building on a flat area in general instead of terrain though.

Pieman_Is_God likes this.
  10. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I would say the redstone rank would be ok but pixel art idk the good ones are very rare.

11. Lionfish12

If we don't have ranks, then I think the best thing would be to get rid of it

12. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I have come across several players who only care about redstone or about 3-d pixel art etc. Most of it has looked pretty bad though.

13. Legend9468

Maybe just downgrade the access to Builder I? So that we can still have the plot system to protect against griefers and such, but not require them to bump up their expertise in something that their not keen on.

14. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Wowowow, max. Can you wait on deleting the pixel-art world? I know that me and a couple other people are still building things there. So yeahhhh. That would be appreciated!

15. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

building what ??? as in not pixel art??

16. CanOpenerTrooper

CanOpenerTrooper Well-Known Member VIP

I LOVE this idea but I am not so sure on the pixel rank. I mean maybe a "low" down rank but a pixel rank can not be anything like architect. I know some people are INSANE at pixel art but to me it just seems to 2d...... lol

17. CanOpenerTrooper

I do think this would be good, but I think that people shouldn't be encouraged to always build on flat areas. To becaome a higher rank you have to be able to build on biomes and make the build fit in. To me a flat world for builders I + just seems like an easy way to make things. I think a really good builder should challenge to build on mountain biomes. Like make the build go with it's surroundings. Personally while scanning PMC at projects I always see -AMAZING- builds that are built on super flat biomes in single player. I always think to myself that if it had a biome it would be way better. Maybe a giant plains biome but not completely flat.....

18. Legend9468

No one said anything like it being Arch? The general idea is that they're on par with/lower than Builder I? Or not even having one at all, as there aren't enough good, original pixel art builders.

What if we combine the two worlds? have a quarter of redstone for pixel art? or less, maybe an eighth? Both are flat worlds, and both have an excessive amount of space in them.

19. Legend9468

The large builds on superflats that I see are generally due to the height restrictions more than anything else.

20. CanOpenerTrooper

I know it would be nothing like arch. Just wanted to be sure no one had the idea of a pixel artist IIIII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.