Power to the people!

Discussion in 'FTB Guides and Tutorials' started by Legend9468, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

We don't really have any casual threads here yet, mostly just people needing help on joining the game.

I figured that we should have one so we can share different ways of powering our respective bases. I know that it can be a pain at times (and even more so now, thanks to Gregorious), so this may become a useful go-to place.

The idea behind this thread is for us to share designs and/or theoretical ideas for new power sources.

2. Legend9468

To start off, I'll list off how we're probably going to power out base for now. We'll be going with your standard generator for now, with intentions of getting a coke oven going due to the fact that coke coal yields more power per piece. I think that there was a way to burn the left over creosote as well, making the whole system just that it more efficient.

After that, we'll most likely be going with geothermal, sending a pump down into the chasms for lava. Fairly self explanatory; pumping it up into tanks.

Further plans may be a combination of nuclear/solar. If we progress like last time, then we should be able to pump out a fair few basic solar panels. Enough for us to get the platinum going again anyway or just the uu-matter. I'm kinda hoping that once we get the ball rolling, then we'll be fine.

3. Liasha

Liasha Member Creative Architect

The whole replicating platinum dust with rich slag doesn't work anymore, because Gregorius hates the idea of you being able to build his machines without digging up half the earth for several weeks straight.

All rich slag is good for now is getting three ingots out of an ore. It won't do anything for dusts.

I'm probably just going to run mass geothermal for EU and blulectric engines for MJ, since solar power's been nerfed into an endgame luxury.

4. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Instead of pumping lava from level 12 to my temp base at level 92 I made a 80 block tall glass tank lol. Working pretty good. Also the idea of ender tanks is sounding interesting. No more liquid transposer set up just a pump and an ender tank and the same in the overworld

5. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

If we are on FTB Ultimate I'm going to try and get a myst craft lava lake page. It's a world just of lava :p

6. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Got ocean and lava lol but pages are kinda creating lots of lag. I wouldn't count on must craft until we find out

7. Legend9468

Might we create a communal lava world then, after the RAM upgrade?

Anyways, I've been thinking about lava production.

Step 1: Set up a 64x64 quarry at the top of the nether (Not sure about powering), pump netherrack into enderchest, for transport back to overworld. This should generate a fair bit of netherrack.

Step 2: If we used normal solar panels for powering electrical engines (or blulectric as Lia said earlier) and then have them hooked up to magma cruicibles. Netherrack goes in here and should produce lava a fair bit cheaper than when the process is done with cobble.

Step 3: Tada, finite but doable lava production.

Powering the quarry could be done with lava powered engines, using the process above to make lava?

8. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

It takes a decent amount of power to turn nether rack into lava, getting the lava from the nether is easy but a communal lava world might be a good option as siout said. Then again we run into people messing around with others stuff so give everyone a 64x64 area in that world for them to get lava then they may get another one?

9. penguinswin3

penguinswin3 Member

So... I just made this.
    [​IMG]

The MFSU emits power when full, thus turning on the lamp. Super simple, looks real nice, quick reading of power levels.

10. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

picture fail