How to get better FPS in Minecraft

Discussion in 'Creative Guides and Tutorials' started by CanOpenerTrooper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. CanOpenerTrooper

CanOpenerTrooper Well-Known Member VIP

So recently I have been caught up in a thread on helping someones FPS for FTB. I thought hell, why not make a thread about how to get better FPS for those with bad computers...

Here are my personal minimum requirements for Minecraft to get 40+ FPS (vanilla MC)

* 4GB RAM
    * 256Mb Video graphics cards. (or smaller)
    * fairly good CPU. Quad core is good for MC
    *Fairly clear Hard-drive (70+ GB available)

So for the RAM, Minecraft is allocated around 900Mb's of RAM. I think you are able to change that but not in-game. I have noticed that having more than 8GB of RAM doesn't really make a difference in the FPS you get. I doubt most people will use more than 8GB when using regular tasks. People also almost always have many applications open when playing Minecraft (Word, powerpoint etc). Having many windows open in the back round especially a video playing will slow down your Minecraft. Close out all applications that you don't need.

HUGE:
    People always mis this game changer. If you have a full or close to full HDD you REALLY need to get it cleared. This can increase FPS by 50+. The first day I got my computer I had 120 FPS going, then over the months it dropped too 60-70 FPS. Getting an SSD (Solid State Drive) is also a HUGE factor. A SSD is a chip that has no moving parts, not only is it more robust but it speeds up everything you do by 1.5x (my experience). Since SSDs are usually under 500GB you might need more storage. Apple created something called the "Fusion Drive" This is pretty much a 250GB SSD and a 500+ GB HDD. The SSD holds all the applications that you use on a regular basis. The HDD holds all the junk you never use like class files etc. This increases performance and storage. The downside is it can get fairly expensive. For mac I reccomend this application to help clear your HDD or SSD.

Mac: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx
    PC: http://www.pcworld.com/article/216586/clean_up_windows_and_your_hard_drive.html

Minecraft does not need high end graphics cards to get stable FPS. IT uses CPU more than GPU. Of course if you plan on being a MC recorder you may want a better Graphics cards. And as always, optifine. Optifine is a mod that adds a MASSIVE fps boost, new features and HD texture pack fix. No exceptions why you can not get this mod.

Feel free to leave your tips and experiences.

P.s some thing I just found out is if you have optifine, make the fullscreen resolution smaller. It makes a decent difference. And mess around with the render distance and graphics. That obviously makes a HUGE difference.

and if you are rich and a god get this.
    http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card

2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

All of this sounds about right. I thought that I would add two points though, just from my experience.

Minecraft depends on RAM a lot more than other games, your videocard really doesn't matter in this case. Although, that being said, MC requires one to be in the PC (Personal Computer). I've tried running it before on my desktop while it didn't have a graphics card and the game then refused to run, then I tried running SupCom (Supreme Commander) and it ran (Albeit 500x more slowly).

If you're using a 64 bit system, then it's fully worth it upgrading to 64 bit java.

CanOpenerTrooper likes this.
  3. CanOpenerTrooper

Agreed. If you are planning on recording MC, have at least 8GB RAM

4. Legend9468

If you plan on recording, get as good a PC as you can. (Not necessarily an expensive one, but be sure to make it an above average one.)

5. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

Also don't forget to mention cooling. It's as important as the PC parts themselves. NEVER forget that your CPU needs very good cooling as MC tends to push it pretty hard. In my case, I play on a laptop and the CPU has no heatsink. Because I let it heat up too often my CPU's performance has dropped. If you're into gaming always grab an aftermarket cooler, or even better, liquid cooling.

6. CanOpenerTrooper

Offtopic but can you get on creative? Film time :)

7. Legend9468

Cooling's not so much an issue though, well for me anyway. Just be sure to not block the heat vent and you're laughing. When I first got the laptop I had the vent partially covered, it then took about 3 hours in Late Australian Spring/Early Summer to overheat and crash (It was by accident, I swear).
    For your day to day gamer, provided you're not playing the latest games on Ultra settings, then I would say that you're fine.

8. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

Out of my house and on my phone atm :/

9. ECompany101

ECompany101 New Member Creative Architect

For a good and fairly cheap GPU you can get an Nvidia GTX650. I got mine for £100

10. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

I'm getting one of those in the future, very good performance for the price

11. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

It kept overheating for me, then i got a gtx 680 to try to make up for it, and ended up sli'ing two 660ti's :/

12. CanOpenerTrooper

100 Pounds.... you kidding me.. I spent my money on a mac, I am practicly broke now and will have to sell my right leg

Leg: 30$ O.B.O

13. CanOpenerTrooper

Just to throw it out there, if you plan on recording get these minimum
    8GB RAM (good RAM)
    2.6ghz minimum. MC is hard on CPU, make sure it is cooled
    any graphics card over 640 megabytes should work. I am not an expert on graphics but it should do the trick.
    IF you plan on recording on a mac (hardly anyone) get an iMac or mac pro (desktops). They have the best FPS. Macbook pro 15 inch /w retina records at 60 - 100 FPS, while it is very good it is expensive, lol. I have no idea why I put the mac thing out, maybe just maybe it will help some body.

14. ECompany101

ECompany101 New Member Creative Architect

Did you have it overclocked? I can get mine up to 70 degrees if I add +200MHz on Planetside 2

15. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

kept it on baseclock, but it still overheated, even if i expose my case.

16. CanOpenerTrooper

I have never understood what over clocking the CPU is...

17. Legend9468

It's the process of gradually increasing the voltage in the CPU of a computer. You've probably heard less of it because of your preferred computer.

During startup for PC's we have a BIOs (That's the press delete to enter startup thing) screen come up. From here we can alter some of the base components of our pc. What happens next is the voltage to the CPU is increased by a small amount, then we startup as normal, test the pc, turn it off, and then boost some more. This is done until the CPU is no longer "Stable" due to the higher voltages. There is a small element of risk involved in the process and doing it voids any warranties you may have, but form what I hear, it's worth it.

18. CanOpenerTrooper

Just did some research and I can overclock my GPU and CPU 0_0

19. Legend9468

(You always have been able to....)

(Welcome to the world of DIY computer modding)

20. CanOpenerTrooper

Now my minecraft runs faster (more CPU power)